Curology - Acne Treatment

4.1

fka PocketDerm

on 10/13/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: to Domicos trying to discredit my review re: being prescribed 3+ months: I am younger than you and in perfect health. State laws vary state to state. I am in texas - I checked and see youre in CA. Please show me a link. I still have the email from pocketderm if you'd like a screenshot. So either pocketderm lied or......?
-------------
I added an edit at the bottom to hopefully help more people.

I used Pocketderm (now rebranded as CUROLOGY ) for 6+ months. I believe I have enough insight on the matter to write a proper review. Many derms wanted to put me on Accutane since my acne/oil production was so severe. Everyone in my immediately family (mom, dad, brother) had been on it. I absolutely REFUSE to go that route. Not because it sucks for the duration of the time taking it, that would be well worth it to me. But it's the aftermath that's scared me off. I'm keeping my excessive sebum producing oil glands... because they're a built in moisturizer. It sucks that they cause acne but when I hit 40+ I'll be very pleased to have the extra oil.

I opted for the acne treatment as I have been battling acne/rosacea for many years. Being completely honest, I mainly signed up for the chance of being prescribed Spironolactone. I wanted to be prescribed it via Pocketderm because it would mean not having to do the many bloodtests that come along with Spironolactone.

But if that's why you're signing up for Pocketderm...DO NOT DO IT. WHAT THEY DO NOT PROPERLY DISCLOSE TO NEW CUSTOMERS IS THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE IT LONG TERM. After 3ish months they dropped me to the curb and told me they only prescribed it for me to "try it out". My Pocketderm dermatologist told me I will have to go find a local derm to prescribe it long term. Additionally they would not prescribe over 100mg..... which isnt much in terms of spiro. I know MANY women on spiro and there are studies (by derms) stating that 200mg is optimal. Apparently, after doing some digging, they do this to everyone to avoid lawsuits!!!!!! If I had known this info I would have never started it. Spirolactone messes with your hormones so starting/ending it is no easy matter.

Moving forward --- onto the Pocketderm aka Curology acne topical treatment they send you. The actives in mine were: My formula is 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, 4% azelaic acid. I'm *sure* this works for a lot of people. But it did not work for me and after one look at the INACTIVE ingredient list, I knew EXACTLY why.

It's full of vitamin e and sweet almond oil! Those are enough to break my skin out like a volcano. I even confronted Pocketderm / Curology on the matter and you know what they told me? That it was "impossible", because those are non-comedogenic ingredients. I am pissed they insinuated I lied about it breaking me out when there is TONS of info out there on these ingredients causing acne. Even ALL of the derms I've been to will agree. They told me to steer clear of most oils............and they were right. There are very few oils that don't break me out. The vitamin e and sweet almond oil clogged every pore on my face. :( Just like they did in every other formulation ive ever tried over the years.

HERE is the inactives list: water, glycerin, aloe vera leaf juice, PEG-100 myristate, sweet almond seed oil, xanthan gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, tocopheryl acetate.

Pocketderm/Curology sucked for me. But I do like the idea of it and I do think it could help a lot of people. IF YOU DON'T BREAK OUT FROM SWEET ALMOND OIL OR VITAMIN E - GO FOR IT!

I'm editing this because I want to point out that I think tretinoin is the only ingredient in this that makes it worth bothering. It is RX only due to being an intense chemical exfoliator. Tretinoin generates collagen, exfoliates the skin, and can do more for anti-aging AND acne than the rest. The reason I'm adament about that is because its a lot deeper of an exfoliator than vitamin c (useless to *me*) or niacinamide (which is also an antioxidant like vitamin c - it's b3!). If they don't prescribe it to you - PUSH for it. Curology/pocketderm (whatever it is atm) DOES try to make patients happy. Azalaic acid is also worth asking for since its RX only and often prescribed for rosacea redness (main ingredient of finacea). Paired with tretinoin can cause it to lighten old scars even quicker. :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST WEAR SUNSCREEN IF YOU WANT NICE SKIN. Chemical exfoliators cause skin to be more photosensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. UVA damage will undo all the benefits of tretinoin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

JUST DO IT! It is so, so, so perfect. I signed up, uploaded some terrifying pictures of my acne-ridden, makeup free skin and heard back from my "Professional" within 24 hours. I have Monica, who is a PA. She is really great and always responds back within 24 hours if I have a question. There is a chat feature on the website and you can email your professional anytime about anything at all. I've even messaged her for sunscreen recommendations.

I've been using Curology for about 3 months. My formulation contains azelaic acid, clindamycin and niacinamide. I have extremely stubborn acne that has never responded to anything except for accutane, which I could only tolerate for 2 months due to the side effects. This treatment has cleared me up about 75%. The acne I get now is not sore anymore and don't leave red spots. My face was completely riddled with PIH but it's now lightened up so much that I don't have to smear concealer all over my face every day just to feel normal.

I can't say enough about this! It's very fairly priced and SO convenient. No more doctor's appointments!

I used this service when it was PocketDerm and strayed, thinking I know better and don't need to pay the subscription fee because I work in luxury beauty and therefore can just use whatever packaging is pretty and I receive as gratis. Nope. Enough. I'm relying strictly on the MD's from here on out.

It's a week before my wedding and I am in dire straits. My skin has been freaking out, angry cystic red pimples all over my chin and jawline and cheeks. I wanted to cry and felt so insecure. I tried everything, very little worked but cutting all my usual actives and switching to strictly CeraVe.

Within two days of messaging, Dr. Anna Ballard, my Curology dermatologist, put in an emergency order of spiro, doxy, and prednisone, which helped right away, and sent me a blend with clindamyacin, niacinamide, and zinc, which is also working very well.

I'm not trying to promote unrealistic expectations or a time frame here but the doctors really listen and care about your concerns and that to me is worth every penny of my monthly fee. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

I got the trial version and with the basic formulation (AZELAIC ACID, CLINDAMYCIN, NIACINAMIDE) they give most people and I tried it for a month. I had decent acne on my forehead due to hormone imbalance from BC. They warned me that its gonna get worse before it gets better. At first it really did get worse. My skin texture got really weird with these tiny bumps literally everywhere on my face. I got really worried but decided to continue. Although the zits came down in size they were still very persistent and would become really pusy. I continued the treament that was supposed to help me also get rid of the dark spots left over from the acne. Well guess what, the amount of zits that the medication "brought out" to try to "clear up" the acne actually made more dark spots and did not help them. I decided to take a break after the month and came back to it a little later and all the acne inflamed again. I decided to stop using it and went on a search to get serum and moisturizer to get rid of my spotted forehead. Mind you I used my Teint Idole 24 hr Lancome foundation which is full coverage and even two layers of it would not over the dark spots completely. I bought Even Better Serum and the new Moisture Surge Gel to try to recover. 2 weeks later everything cleared up and dark spots are fading.

Throughout this time I was in a middle of a move and had a car accident. I tried contacting support only to get their voicemail box. I contacted my curology "doctor" and she explained that there are no return or refunds. While I still have two more bottles of that formula sitting in their boxes untouched. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one with that formula. In fact, most people get the same "unique" formula when they sign up.

The point of the story. It's probably not a good idea to deal with this product or company.

on 9/25/2017 11:41:00 AM

Curology has been an absolute savior for my skin. For the first time in my life someone this week complimented me on my skin and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was the girl who struggled with problem skin from the age of 14 all the way to 32. After a rough encounter with a local dermatologist who only wanted to sell me prescriptions he could get a kickback on (and ignoring me when I asked for the generic versions my insurance would cover...), I thought I'd give Curology a try. I'm glad I did because it's affordable and the advice I receive when I reach out to my derm is almost always exactly spot on and helpful. I've emailed to get her opinion on products like face washes for my skin type, and any changes in my skin and why they might be occurring and always get a fast and well thought out response.

I went from waking up with redness and 6-7 new spots each day to occasionally waking up with a single whitehead a couple times a week in about 6 months. Not perfect, but I'm ecstatic! And I'm slowly bumping up the tretinoin right now and noticing that my skin looks more radiant - a huge plus.

on 8/2/2017 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I subscribed due to a blog post, and I have no regrets! I was given a mix of Clindamycin, azelaic acid and tertian, as I am in my 30's and still have acne. Fun times! The customer service is A+, as well--the NP I work with answers all my questions in a timely and friendly manner. My skin looks a lot better (as a result of both the cream and the zinc soap/vitamin C combo recommended).

I have been using Curology for 4+ months now. I have struggled with cystic acne for a long while, and PIE. My skin has cleared up, and my PIE is slowly, but surely fading. On top of that, my derm has been so helpful, and gone out of her way to help me. I have started Doxycycline as a preventative measure, along with hopefully being able to use my Curology a little less. Needless to say, I absolutely love everything about it. I have seen nothing but great reviews on them as well. This has been the best decision of my life. At this point, this sounds like a paid AD, but it's really not. I have been writing about my journey on my blog, and using my Instagram to speak on it too. <3

on 10/6/2016 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Love my Curology prescription! I'm on my third bottle and have noticed wonderful results. It takes a while to notice a difference, but I used to suffer from frequent breakouts on my nose and chin. I never get breakouts now and only have, at most, a tiny whitehead pop up maybe once a month. Such an amazing difference.
Only thing I hate is the packaging. It comes with a pump but sometimes it doesn't pump and I tried fixing it and ended up pushing some internal mechanism deep into the bottle. Wish it was simpler so I could fix it myself, but now I have to order a new one. So much wasted product :(
Anyhow, I highly recommend this product, just make sure you're honest with your online dermatologist if you aren't seeing the results you were expecting.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

i've been using curology for 3 months now & have been extremely pleased so far. i've had persistent acne of varying severity for years & after hitting a particularly bad bout of it & hearing about this service i finally decided it was time for rx-strength treatment again. my skin is very sensitive & while it has gotten more under control by using gentler & better-formulated otc products & an at-home blue light device, i still get breakouts regularly. curology has helped dramatically.

my rx is currently a combo of azelaic acid, clindamycin & zinc pyrithione. i noticed my skin starting to clear up a little within a couple days & have overall noticed fewer blemishes & quicker healing time for the ones i do get. some of my hyperpigmentation is also starting to slowly fade. my skin is still far from perfect but i have seen visible improvement across the photos i submit to my provider each month. i've also luckily had no side effects but as everyone's skin & rx is different ymmv.

as for the service itself, it's been great for me. my provider has been very friendly & helpful in answering all of my questions about my rx & has offered advice about the rest of my skincare routine. i've been able to easily reschedule shipments on the website, too. i think this is an invaluable service for ppl w/ problem skin who have no/inadequate insurance or just want something simple & convenient.

Curology worked when nothing else did.
I am currently on month 5 of using this service and am so happy with results!
A lil history:
I had pretty darn clear skin all my life, with small hormonal breakouts (1-2 pimples/month)
I tried oil cleansing method (original, by using only oils to clean and wiping off with warm towel). OCM ruined my skin and I should have stopped sooner but kept believing I was purging. Stupid! By the 2nd month my face was covered in thousands of tiny little bumps and some cystic acne!
I tried gentle cleansing, then salicylic acid, then benzoyl peroxide (stuck with all for 45 days each). Nothing helped!
Couldn't afford a dermatologist so signed up for Curology. Best decision! The first few weeks I only felt a calming in my skin but still covered in breakouts.
By day 40 I could see results.
By day 70 most of the bumps were gone.
I am still left with remaining hyperpigmention it's slowly starting to fade :)
Would definitely recommend! The derms that work there are helpful.
My first scipt was: 4% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 4% Niacinamide.
100 days in I changed to: 8% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 0.25% Zinc Pyrithione.