Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

4.6

fka PocketDerm

on 7/22/2017 12:47:00 AM

I had a sudden bout of hormonal acne. I tried everything for months and even considered going on another course of roaccutane. Curology was my last attempt before I go on roaccutane. And I'm so glad I gave it a try. Not only are my pimples gone. But the small under the skin black and white heads are also gone. My skin is smooth. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose with one month free trial.

After suffering from acne my whole life, I can say that Curology is the BEST acne medication out there right now. Because the formula in each bottle of curology is customized to your skin problems, literally you will see improvements to your skin in a week. My problems were never big zits, it was more that every single one of my pores were always filled with gunk and oil deposits, no matter how often I went to the aesthetician to clean out my skin, or wash my face diligently, my pores were always clogged and become infected and would erupt again. The process is frustrating and it got really old, when I'm already close to forty and still have the skin problems of a teenager.

I have used Proactiv, Rodan and Fields, chinese formulas teas, gone to acne.com and followed their advice, cut diary and sugar out of my diet, you name it I tried it, but nothing has provided the relief to my skin. My curology formula includes the following:

– tretinoin 0.009% (unclogs pores and improves skin texture)
– clindamycin 1% (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
– azelaic acid 9% (antibacterial that also fights redness and dark spots/post-acne marks)

They may differ for each person, you upload your picture into their site, and get the consultation online by a RN or Physician Associate.

My nighttime routine is as follow:

1) Double step cleaning, first remove make up with [Banila Clean It Zero Purity] then clean [Su:m37 Miracle Rose cleansing Stick]

2) Toning with [Park and Son Beauty Water]

3) Moisterizer with [Nature Republic Aloe Vera 92% Soothing Gel] and every other day [Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule]

4) Smooth Curology formula over problem areas.

You will notice that the brands I use are all korean, it's not because i'm korean, I'm asian lady from California, I just find korean brands to be very natural and gentle on skin. It's not harsh or irritates the skin with less chemical in the products. You can go to amazon.com and get it shipped to you.

I am not paid to promote this product, just want to share my experience with other acne sufferers, as I know how frustrating it is!

I had always had pretty clear skin. I was "blessed" with no cystic acne, just whiteheads on my forehead and the usual period pimples. But last year, I started to have the worst pimples on my cheeks that even makeup couldn't cover.

So I turned to Curology in March 2016, with Emily Gruber, NP-C as my medical provider. I was very detailed in my description of my current skincare routine and I took tons of pictures. My first formula contained 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, and 0.25% zinc pyrithione. She recommended that I stick to a very simple skincare routine (before Curology, I was using my Clarisonic almost daily). This combination of the simplicity of my skincare routine and Curology nightly did wonders for my skin. My forehead cleared up and I wasn't getting any pimples.

In June, before I was to receive my next shipment of Curology, I contacted Emily with updated photos. I also told her that I rarely ever get pimples anymore and that I just want to clear the hyperpigmentation. So she changed my formula to 8% azelaic acid, 1% clindamycin, and 0.25% zinc pyrthione. To be honest, I haven't been as faithful to using Curology every night, especially lately. But I never get pimples or whiteheads anymore and my skin is so soft so that in itself is a win!

I definitely recommend Curology, especially if you have nothing left to do to help your skin. And at $19 a month, that's not completely crazy.

on 8/19/2016 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My problems are red skin (maybe rosacea) and also the very beginnings of fine wrinkles.

I signed up for Curology because my sister uses them for acne and told me that they're a great way to get prescription strength Retin-A.

When I signed up I was assigned a medical provider (Laura) who tole me that she could provide a formulation that would be perfect for treating and preventing wrinkles. She also tailored it so that it was appropriate for my sensitive skin.

Even though I was told that this wasn't guaranteed to help my redness, it's actually almost 100% cured it. On top of that the smoothing and fullness effects of the retinoid have been amazing. The price is a steal, and as far as I know there is nothing else like Curology. Literally my favorite skincare product.

on 12/10/2015 7:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm not sure I want to attach photos of my face pre-PocketDerm/Curology, but know this: it was pretty bad. I spent a semester in Beijing (terrible pollution) and my skin was just awful (closed comedones/whiteheads, daily zits, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) at the beginning of 2015. I tried masks, aspirin scrubs, the famous P50 lotion, and chemical peels (ranging from TCA to lactic) which resulted in so-so improvement. No real progress lasted.

I tried PocketDerm in February 2015 and have never looked back.

Result were not instantaneous. But progress in purging the closed comedones and flesh colored bumps was sure and steady. Now fast forward to December... I haven't had a single pimple or zit in months. My skin has not been this clear for years.

My hyperpigmentation has faded as well, it's not completely gone but I'm sure eventually it will.

This serves as my nightly acne treatment and moisturizer so even though I pay $20/month, it's totally worth it for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

First, let me say that this is an incredible idea and fantastic service. Everyone I dealt with at Pocket Derm was helpful and informative, which anyone who has ever tried to find a good derm will tell you is definitely not par for the course in the field of dermatology. The service was easy to use, the doctors responsive, and the product arrived quickly and with clear instructions. At $20 a month, I think that this is a really great option for a lot of people.

I sent three photos (no makeup - I actually realized how low my self esteem had gotten when I went to take these, because it was incredibly difficult for me to do) that I had taken on my phone to Pocket Derm through their website, and my doctor prescribed me a custom blend of treatments that was sent to me by a compounding pharmacist. I love the idea of having a treatment that is specifically created for your skin issues. It arrived in a pretty frosted plastic bottle, which lasted me a little less than two months (you can reorder based on how often you go through everything). I applied it once every night to my problem areas. I never experienced irritation, which was amazing after dealing with Epiduo, which is incredibly harsh, for the better part of a year. My skin certainly did not get any worse when I was on it, and I think that certain inflammation and discoloration definitely did approve.

I ended up going off of PocketDerm and finding a derm in my city because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I was still breaking out frequently, which my PD doctor said was a result of purging. However, after three full months on this (after almost a year of being on Epiduo, which has adapalene and similarly clears out pores), I felt like I needed to be seeing better results. I was told to wait it out a bit, which I had planned to do. However, I ended up going in to see a new derm in person to get a cortisone shot on two really bad cystic spots, and she mentioned that I probably needed an oral medication such as spironolactone, as my acne is clearly hormonal and topicals can't do anything preventative when the issue is internal. I feel like this is something that my PocketDerm doctor probably should have identified straight away - given the placement and type of breakout I was getting.

I know that people have gotten spiro prescriptions through PocketDerm, but this was never offered as an option for me, and I felt better about the fact that my in-person derm keeps track of potassium levels and blood pressure (both things that spiro affects). And so I made the decision to cancel my PocketDerm account, and started with a new derm to go back on Epiduo and also add spiro. The spiro, so far, as been incredible and it's frustrating to think that I went so long without it.

I believe the positive experiences that people have had with PocketDerm and do think that it's worth a try if OTC is just not cutting it and you don't have access to a derm who you trust. Treating acne is a lot of trial and error, and I am glad that I tried this (and will forever by in dept to them for suggesting using hydrocolloid bandages on popped spots).

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I heard about this service from several blogs and decided to give it a try. I am 40 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for many years. I have been on BCP, which helped, but have recently stopped. I started having breakouts on the tops of my cheeks and forehead (which I never had before). I have tried over the counter products, but nothing was working. I had tried RAM in the past, but never was consistent with it. I have also used Clindamycin with good results, but did not want the $150 derm apt and $60 meds. After finding a code for free first month, I sent pictures (from my iphone) in for a derm to check out. She wrote back quickly and suggested a treatment of .018 tretinoin, 1%clindamycin, and 8% azalaic acid. I was skeptical since I had used tretinoin with a much higher percentage in the past, but she assured me the formula would work differently. I received it in about 4 days and began using each night. The breakouts were worse. They were able to be covered by makeup, and not as severe as most, but it was a lot to me. I contacted her one month into it, and she suggested a special soap and adding B6. I did, and still broke out more after the second month. The beginning of the third she suggested using every other night and added Spironolactone from the pharmacy (she called it in). Month four I am breaking out less, but still have a few spots on my cheeks. I will continue to use and see what long term benefits I receive. I pay $20 a month, which is less that I would pay with a prescription from a pharmacy. I know many people experience clearer skin quicker, but I have not. I am very pleased with the service from my PocketDerm derm, Nancy Satur, and would suggest anyone to give it a try (unless you can get better prices from your pharmacy and derm).

UPDATE: After several months and no improvement I went to see an in person derm. She told me that the 25mg spiro was not enough and that normally 100mg is prescribed for oilier acne prone skin. She also prescribed Minicycline, which caused debliltating dizziness then switched me to Bactrim 2x per day which stopped all side effects. She prescribed Epi Duo at night and after using this combo for 1 week my skin is mostly clear and I have not broken out during my cycle! I know that the antibiotics are NOT a long term "cure", so I am happy that the EpiDuo is working also. Unfortunately Pocket Derm did not work for my hormonal acne as I had hoped. My in person dermatologist did say it was a great formula though. She just added that I needed more spiro and an antibiotic to gain some ground on breakouts. Oh, I have hear some say that one needs a blood test for spiro--I did not. Maybe its my age (40).