Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

3.0

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

My biggest issue with Curology is that they tell you to use 2 pumps daily, then that NEVER lasts the full month. There's no way to really tell how much is left in the bottle either. With my last bottle they apparently put the wrong address on it and it's been roaming the country, nowhere near where I live, for two weeks. I was able to get another bottle sent. They seem to put everyone with acne doing the free trial on the same formula. I told my "provider" I wanted to add in a retinoid and increased azelaic acid. After 3 days she responded with a long-winded NO. That was almost enough to make me stop. But I kept using the lotion nightly and my face really cleared up after 2 months!! I was so happy. Then with the shipping fiasco I had no lotion for 8 days and I completely broke out again. So it's like I'm starting all over. If I could just get a consistent supply of this lotion I think it would really keep working.

on 12/10/2015 7:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm not sure I want to attach photos of my face pre-PocketDerm/Curology, but know this: it was pretty bad. I spent a semester in Beijing (terrible pollution) and my skin was just awful (closed comedones/whiteheads, daily zits, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) at the beginning of 2015. I tried masks, aspirin scrubs, the famous P50 lotion, and chemical peels (ranging from TCA to lactic) which resulted in so-so improvement. No real progress lasted.

I tried PocketDerm in February 2015 and have never looked back.

Result were not instantaneous. But progress in purging the closed comedones and flesh colored bumps was sure and steady. Now fast forward to December... I haven't had a single pimple or zit in months. My skin has not been this clear for years.

My hyperpigmentation has faded as well, it's not completely gone but I'm sure eventually it will.

This serves as my nightly acne treatment and moisturizer so even though I pay $20/month, it's totally worth it for me.

on 10/13/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: to Domicos trying to discredit my review re: being prescribed 3+ months: I am younger than you and in perfect health. State laws vary state to state. I am in texas - I checked and see youre in CA. Please show me a link. I still have the email from pocketderm if you'd like a screenshot. So either pocketderm lied or......?
-------------
I added an edit at the bottom to hopefully help more people.

I used Pocketderm (now rebranded as CUROLOGY ) for 6+ months. I believe I have enough insight on the matter to write a proper review. Many derms wanted to put me on Accutane since my acne/oil production was so severe. Everyone in my immediately family (mom, dad, brother) had been on it. I absolutely REFUSE to go that route. Not because it sucks for the duration of the time taking it, that would be well worth it to me. But it's the aftermath that's scared me off. I'm keeping my excessive sebum producing oil glands... because they're a built in moisturizer. It sucks that they cause acne but when I hit 40+ I'll be very pleased to have the extra oil.

I opted for the acne treatment as I have been battling acne/rosacea for many years. Being completely honest, I mainly signed up for the chance of being prescribed Spironolactone. I wanted to be prescribed it via Pocketderm because it would mean not having to do the many bloodtests that come along with Spironolactone.

But if that's why you're signing up for Pocketderm...DO NOT DO IT. WHAT THEY DO NOT PROPERLY DISCLOSE TO NEW CUSTOMERS IS THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE IT LONG TERM. After 3ish months they dropped me to the curb and told me they only prescribed it for me to "try it out". My Pocketderm dermatologist told me I will have to go find a local derm to prescribe it long term. Additionally they would not prescribe over 100mg..... which isnt much in terms of spiro. I know MANY women on spiro and there are studies (by derms) stating that 200mg is optimal. Apparently, after doing some digging, they do this to everyone to avoid lawsuits!!!!!! If I had known this info I would have never started it. Spirolactone messes with your hormones so starting/ending it is no easy matter.

Moving forward --- onto the Pocketderm aka Curology acne topical treatment they send you. The actives in mine were: My formula is 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, 4% azelaic acid. I'm *sure* this works for a lot of people. But it did not work for me and after one look at the INACTIVE ingredient list, I knew EXACTLY why.

It's full of vitamin e and sweet almond oil! Those are enough to break my skin out like a volcano. I even confronted Pocketderm / Curology on the matter and you know what they told me? That it was "impossible", because those are non-comedogenic ingredients. I am pissed they insinuated I lied about it breaking me out when there is TONS of info out there on these ingredients causing acne. Even ALL of the derms I've been to will agree. They told me to steer clear of most oils............and they were right. There are very few oils that don't break me out. The vitamin e and sweet almond oil clogged every pore on my face. :( Just like they did in every other formulation ive ever tried over the years.

HERE is the inactives list: water, glycerin, aloe vera leaf juice, PEG-100 myristate, sweet almond seed oil, xanthan gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, tocopheryl acetate.

Pocketderm/Curology sucked for me. But I do like the idea of it and I do think it could help a lot of people. IF YOU DON'T BREAK OUT FROM SWEET ALMOND OIL OR VITAMIN E - GO FOR IT!

I'm editing this because I want to point out that I think tretinoin is the only ingredient in this that makes it worth bothering. It is RX only due to being an intense chemical exfoliator. Tretinoin generates collagen, exfoliates the skin, and can do more for anti-aging AND acne than the rest. The reason I'm adament about that is because its a lot deeper of an exfoliator than vitamin c (useless to *me*) or niacinamide (which is also an antioxidant like vitamin c - it's b3!). If they don't prescribe it to you - PUSH for it. Curology/pocketderm (whatever it is atm) DOES try to make patients happy. Azalaic acid is also worth asking for since its RX only and often prescribed for rosacea redness (main ingredient of finacea). Paired with tretinoin can cause it to lighten old scars even quicker. :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST WEAR SUNSCREEN IF YOU WANT NICE SKIN. Chemical exfoliators cause skin to be more photosensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. UVA damage will undo all the benefits of tretinoin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Fine program if your skin falls within the parameters of their range of formulas. I used tret/azelaic/clindamycin). However, the base clogged and the azelaic burned me. Because it was bundled I had stop all 3 treatments. It's all packed into one creamy gel. And if the creamy gel is too rich for your skin you are out of luck. Interactions with dr / customer service was fine but a bit rote. Again, a fine deal if it works for you. As always, all things skincare are ymmv.