Curology - Acne Treatment

3.3

fka PocketDerm

on 10/13/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: to Domicos trying to discredit my review re: being prescribed 3+ months: I am younger than you and in perfect health. State laws vary state to state. I am in texas - I checked and see youre in CA. Please show me a link. I still have the email from pocketderm if you'd like a screenshot. So either pocketderm lied or......?
-------------
I added an edit at the bottom to hopefully help more people.

I used Pocketderm (now rebranded as CUROLOGY ) for 6+ months. I believe I have enough insight on the matter to write a proper review. Many derms wanted to put me on Accutane since my acne/oil production was so severe. Everyone in my immediately family (mom, dad, brother) had been on it. I absolutely REFUSE to go that route. Not because it sucks for the duration of the time taking it, that would be well worth it to me. But it's the aftermath that's scared me off. I'm keeping my excessive sebum producing oil glands... because they're a built in moisturizer. It sucks that they cause acne but when I hit 40+ I'll be very pleased to have the extra oil.

I opted for the acne treatment as I have been battling acne/rosacea for many years. Being completely honest, I mainly signed up for the chance of being prescribed Spironolactone. I wanted to be prescribed it via Pocketderm because it would mean not having to do the many bloodtests that come along with Spironolactone.

But if that's why you're signing up for Pocketderm...DO NOT DO IT. WHAT THEY DO NOT PROPERLY DISCLOSE TO NEW CUSTOMERS IS THEY WILL NOT PRESCRIBE IT LONG TERM. After 3ish months they dropped me to the curb and told me they only prescribed it for me to "try it out". My Pocketderm dermatologist told me I will have to go find a local derm to prescribe it long term. Additionally they would not prescribe over 100mg..... which isnt much in terms of spiro. I know MANY women on spiro and there are studies (by derms) stating that 200mg is optimal. Apparently, after doing some digging, they do this to everyone to avoid lawsuits!!!!!! If I had known this info I would have never started it. Spirolactone messes with your hormones so starting/ending it is no easy matter.

Moving forward --- onto the Pocketderm aka Curology acne topical treatment they send you. The actives in mine were: My formula is 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, 4% azelaic acid. I'm *sure* this works for a lot of people. But it did not work for me and after one look at the INACTIVE ingredient list, I knew EXACTLY why.

It's full of vitamin e and sweet almond oil! Those are enough to break my skin out like a volcano. I even confronted Pocketderm / Curology on the matter and you know what they told me? That it was "impossible", because those are non-comedogenic ingredients. I am pissed they insinuated I lied about it breaking me out when there is TONS of info out there on these ingredients causing acne. Even ALL of the derms I've been to will agree. They told me to steer clear of most oils............and they were right. There are very few oils that don't break me out. The vitamin e and sweet almond oil clogged every pore on my face. :( Just like they did in every other formulation ive ever tried over the years.

HERE is the inactives list: water, glycerin, aloe vera leaf juice, PEG-100 myristate, sweet almond seed oil, xanthan gum, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, tocopheryl acetate.

Pocketderm/Curology sucked for me. But I do like the idea of it and I do think it could help a lot of people. IF YOU DON'T BREAK OUT FROM SWEET ALMOND OIL OR VITAMIN E - GO FOR IT!

I'm editing this because I want to point out that I think tretinoin is the only ingredient in this that makes it worth bothering. It is RX only due to being an intense chemical exfoliator. Tretinoin generates collagen, exfoliates the skin, and can do more for anti-aging AND acne than the rest. The reason I'm adament about that is because its a lot deeper of an exfoliator than vitamin c (useless to *me*) or niacinamide (which is also an antioxidant like vitamin c - it's b3!). If they don't prescribe it to you - PUSH for it. Curology/pocketderm (whatever it is atm) DOES try to make patients happy. Azalaic acid is also worth asking for since its RX only and often prescribed for rosacea redness (main ingredient of finacea). Paired with tretinoin can cause it to lighten old scars even quicker. :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST WEAR SUNSCREEN IF YOU WANT NICE SKIN. Chemical exfoliators cause skin to be more photosensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. UVA damage will undo all the benefits of tretinoin.

I used this service when it was PocketDerm and strayed, thinking I know better and don't need to pay the subscription fee because I work in luxury beauty and therefore can just use whatever packaging is pretty and I receive as gratis. Nope. Enough. I'm relying strictly on the MD's from here on out.

It's a week before my wedding and I am in dire straits. My skin has been freaking out, angry cystic red pimples all over my chin and jawline and cheeks. I wanted to cry and felt so insecure. I tried everything, very little worked but cutting all my usual actives and switching to strictly CeraVe.

Within two days of messaging, Dr. Anna Ballard, my Curology dermatologist, put in an emergency order of spiro, doxy, and prednisone, which helped right away, and sent me a blend with clindamyacin, niacinamide, and zinc, which is also working very well.

I'm not trying to promote unrealistic expectations or a time frame here but the doctors really listen and care about your concerns and that to me is worth every penny of my monthly fee. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

on 8/19/2018 4:47:00 AM

Im 8 weeks in and my skin is a lotttt worst than when i started it. Im going to try one more month but overall its ruined my skin.
I feel like some of these reviews are fake. a lot of users who reviewed this on here has no other reviews so buyers beware!!!

edit, i threw it in the trash, let me explain:

i started this trial for 5 dollars on june 20th. My prescription was azealic acid , zinc pyrithione and clindymicine.(idk the spelling) After the first week my face was breaking out really really bad in places ive never had acne before and it was pimples that werent super inflamed but the type that will leave scars quickly and for a long time. I get sooooo oily in the morning when i wake up. Im super super super greasy the day after. I told my prescriber (who seems to be on vacation a lot) and she told me is possibly purging and wait another 4 weeks. anyways fastfoward to 4 weeks and my face is still breaking out with new pimples EVERY SINGLE DAY. Id wake up everyday and wait to see where the new little fella will pop up. I only had ONE day out of the 2 months where i didnt have a new pimple but that lasted for less than 48 hours. Now in week 8 i gave up. my face is so much worst and covered in acne/acne scars. i have 15 to 20 acne scars just on one cheeks from starting curology. i never had any cheek acne before this. My problem area was always my forehead and chin and til this day i still have a bunch of active acne on those areas. my before and after is shocking and leaves me so confused. i wish i had never started curology. I messaged my provider every week and they just kept telling me to hold off and wait and wait. I think 8 weeks is long enough and im so over it. im going back to bp regime from dan at acne.org. its worked for my when i was a teen. I just have to have patience like i was with curology. i wasted 2 months on this. but i did learn to use acne patches from cosrx which are awesome. and also my skin hates anything with alcohol. i guess i took some lessons from this experience. it wasnt all that bad but if i could go back in time i would have NEVER tried this out. everyone is different and i was one of the few that hated this. A lot of recent reviews are not so great so i am guessing many of the reviews on here and elsewhere are fake. i even clicked on the profiles of people who had reviewed this as a godsend and they only ever wrote a curology review without any other ones so it seems very fishy. BEWARE BEWARE

the providers are nice and even tried to prescribe oral medicine. I didnt fall for it. its in the trash. they kept telling me to use this product and along with other products and its just been such a pain in the ass waking up and more pimples show up. way more than before i started. i have photos to prove and its not pretty.

My skin just feel irritated and super oily while using this. I told my provider , hey im breaking out and she jusy tells me to hang in there.

Now i just wash my face with gentle cleanser and splash water. Basically barely touch my skin. Then put on fab ultra repair cream and use cosrx acne patches on active whiteheads and wait. I will incorpoate bp back to my routine in a week after my skin takes a breather from the damn curology.

Dans bp 2.5% acne.org regime is 100 times better and i am getting results in 3 weeks. I no longer have acne but just scars left from curology. Trust ur instincts and know its not purging! Dont listen to those emails and trust urself. Curology is not good and made me oily and a mess and pizza face.

on 2/8/2018 9:38:00 AM

I have been using Curology for almost two years ago and have seen a huge improvement in my skin. After years trying everything -
salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, exfoliants, clay masks, cleansers running the spectrum from harsh to gentle, etc. - I finally found Curology. My skin is smoother, less oily, and much, much, less prone to breakouts on my forehead and chin, which were my main problem areas. I also had lots of hyperpigmentation that has faded significantly, and my skin's tone is much less red in general. It's true that it does take awhile for your skin to get better and, YES, your skin will "get worse" for a bit as it purges. I have seen people who have quit Curology after a week or a month saying it made their skin worse, but you absolutely have to be patient and let it work its magic. The bottle doesn't necessarily last as long as they say it does (but I do usually use more than they say you should, to be fair!), but to me it's still worth it :) My provider is always helpful whenever I frantically message her about a skin problem I'm having.