Curology - Acne Treatment

4.4

fka PocketDerm

on 12/10/2015 7:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm not sure I want to attach photos of my face pre-PocketDerm/Curology, but know this: it was pretty bad. I spent a semester in Beijing (terrible pollution) and my skin was just awful (closed comedones/whiteheads, daily zits, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) at the beginning of 2015. I tried masks, aspirin scrubs, the famous P50 lotion, and chemical peels (ranging from TCA to lactic) which resulted in so-so improvement. No real progress lasted.

I tried PocketDerm in February 2015 and have never looked back.

Result were not instantaneous. But progress in purging the closed comedones and flesh colored bumps was sure and steady. Now fast forward to December... I haven't had a single pimple or zit in months. My skin has not been this clear for years.

My hyperpigmentation has faded as well, it's not completely gone but I'm sure eventually it will.

This serves as my nightly acne treatment and moisturizer so even though I pay $20/month, it's totally worth it for me.

I got the trial version and with the basic formulation (AZELAIC ACID, CLINDAMYCIN, NIACINAMIDE) they give most people and I tried it for a month. I had decent acne on my forehead due to hormone imbalance from BC. They warned me that its gonna get worse before it gets better. At first it really did get worse. My skin texture got really weird with these tiny bumps literally everywhere on my face. I got really worried but decided to continue. Although the zits came down in size they were still very persistent and would become really pusy. I continued the treament that was supposed to help me also get rid of the dark spots left over from the acne. Well guess what, the amount of zits that the medication "brought out" to try to "clear up" the acne actually made more dark spots and did not help them. I decided to take a break after the month and came back to it a little later and all the acne inflamed again. I decided to stop using it and went on a search to get serum and moisturizer to get rid of my spotted forehead. Mind you I used my Teint Idole 24 hr Lancome foundation which is full coverage and even two layers of it would not over the dark spots completely. I bought Even Better Serum and the new Moisture Surge Gel to try to recover. 2 weeks later everything cleared up and dark spots are fading.

Throughout this time I was in a middle of a move and had a car accident. I tried contacting support only to get their voicemail box. I contacted my curology "doctor" and she explained that there are no return or refunds. While I still have two more bottles of that formula sitting in their boxes untouched. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one with that formula. In fact, most people get the same "unique" formula when they sign up.

The point of the story. It's probably not a good idea to deal with this product or company.

I had always had pretty clear skin. I was "blessed" with no cystic acne, just whiteheads on my forehead and the usual period pimples. But last year, I started to have the worst pimples on my cheeks that even makeup couldn't cover.

So I turned to Curology in March 2016, with Emily Gruber, NP-C as my medical provider. I was very detailed in my description of my current skincare routine and I took tons of pictures. My first formula contained 4% niacinamide, 1% clindamycin, and 0.25% zinc pyrithione. She recommended that I stick to a very simple skincare routine (before Curology, I was using my Clarisonic almost daily). This combination of the simplicity of my skincare routine and Curology nightly did wonders for my skin. My forehead cleared up and I wasn't getting any pimples.

In June, before I was to receive my next shipment of Curology, I contacted Emily with updated photos. I also told her that I rarely ever get pimples anymore and that I just want to clear the hyperpigmentation. So she changed my formula to 8% azelaic acid, 1% clindamycin, and 0.25% zinc pyrthione. To be honest, I haven't been as faithful to using Curology every night, especially lately. But I never get pimples or whiteheads anymore and my skin is so soft so that in itself is a win!

I definitely recommend Curology, especially if you have nothing left to do to help your skin. And at $19 a month, that's not completely crazy.

I have been using Curology for 4+ months now. I have struggled with cystic acne for a long while, and PIE. My skin has cleared up, and my PIE is slowly, but surely fading. On top of that, my derm has been so helpful, and gone out of her way to help me. I have started Doxycycline as a preventative measure, along with hopefully being able to use my Curology a little less. Needless to say, I absolutely love everything about it. I have seen nothing but great reviews on them as well. This has been the best decision of my life. At this point, this sounds like a paid AD, but it's really not. I have been writing about my journey on my blog, and using my Instagram to speak on it too. <3

Curology is by far the best Acne Treatment product that I've come across in about 3/4 years. I never really had acne throughout highschool and when I turned 19 or 20 I got the worst acne on my left cheek and have been left with some awful scars and skin pigmentation from it. Up until about a few months ago I was still struggling with it, trying to get rid of the scars but still getting pimples there and on my forehead. I've also been struggling with acne on my back/chest since I was about 13! In all my years searching for skin care products this company has really helped me out. I can go out in public without makeup on! It's just one little bottle for $24 a month (and you can choose how often it's shipped!) I don't go through one bottle that quickly so I like to push it back. You get to communicate with a well educated doctor about your skin type, where you get acne, how long you've had acne, what birth control you're on, what medications you've taken for acne, etc. Then the doctor gives you a full low down on what you're going to do to change your skin care routine and it's so simple! Gentle face cleanser, and the Curology treatment at night. And when I had flare ups and explained the type of pimples to the doctor, she helped me immediately and now I only get a few pimples when I'm on my period and I can finally get rid of those gnarly scars since there's no more pimples. And on top of all of that, all she did was recommend me a body bar that has almost completely cleared my body acne! Would definitely recommend this brand to anyone who's struggling with acne/their skin. I don't feel disgusted when I look in the mirror anymore and I never thought that would happen. Everyone should check out Curology!

Love this product, and the service is so easy to use! I have been trying to get my acne under control for a while now, and it just doesn't seen to happen! A few months ago I started using Curology and I have been very pleased with what it has done with my skin. My hormonal breakouts have become non-existent. And on long work weeks, when I haven't been as diligent with sleep/water/beauty routine my skin is still firm, clear, and healthy. Seriously, my skin has never been softer, cleaner, or clearer! I am very happy.
Also, your assigned Derm will help you out with anything, even if its a small one time concern or not directly related to the product. They are there to help you with all your skincare questions. And when they give you instructions, take them seriously! I ignored one and it didn't turn out well! They are professionals who will really help you with your skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love Pocketderm. I have cystic acne with white bumps all around my nose. My derm prescribed me my own medication and then answered all the questions I had about soap, moisturizers, sunscreens, etc. With the medication and soap (St. Ives apricot scrub) it has really cleared up my skin. It did take about 4 months though, so patience is key!