Curology - Acne Treatment

Curology - Acne Treatment

3.8

fka PocketDerm

I was pretty apprehensive about starting Curology because I have pretty decent skin most of the time without treatment and didn't want to make it worse. But, knowing that I would have monthly (what I thought were) cystic breakouts that would swell my face up to twice its size, I decided to give Curology a go so that I could maintain clear skin all the time.

Not only did my provider correct my understanding of my skin (they aren't cystic breakouts, just very inflamed acne breakouts), they prescribed a formula that specifically mitigated the problems that my skin had. Since using Curology, I went from having horrible breakouts every few weeks to getting maybe one or two whiteheads every few months. It's nothing short of a miracle, and I feel much more confident in my skin. I'm also going out without makeup now as well, which is a major change!

The price is also pretty reasonable in my opinion. With Curology, I've cut back substantially on my skincare budget and most of my spend now goes toward Curology; I'd say spending around $20 per month on completely clear skin is pretty worth it.

As a skincare addict, I've tried everything and I can safely say that Curology has made the biggest difference. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to keep their skin clear regardless of how chaotic life gets.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a hard review. I’m sort of in the middle right now trying to decide if I should cancel or not. So I have always had acne. I did accutane in my early 20’s and it worked great. Then I got on and off birth control and it kind of screwed with my skin. So I was stable on birth control and my skin was still flaring up. Also, I've been using retin A for all over skin benefits but I haven't had a dermatologist in a while and it was a several month wait to see one and I wanted an easy way to get a retin A prescription. Enter curology about one year ago. They started me on a tretinon, clindamycin, azealic acid combo. And I broke out like never before. My skin looked terrible. I emailed, freaking out, and they told me I was purging and to keep going. I was kind of angry because in my past experience, purging is a myth and my skin only ever got worse when something caused me to break out. But I decided to try and trust them. It took forever. But my skin finally stopped breaking out. I want to say it took 6-10 weeks, I need to dig through the emails. But it was bad. Since then, overall my skin is ok. I do still get small breakouts. But I can’t use curology every night or else my skin gets deflated looking. It’s dull and dried out. So I end up wasting a lot of product because they keep sending it. Recently I discovered I could delay a delivery by one month, so I’m going to try that. Paying $160 a year is better than $240, but it’s still a lot. I’m just torn. If the formula is stressing out my skin, I can try other things. But I went through such a long aweful “purge” and if curology is helping my acne, I really don’t want to start over. So I’m a little afraid to quit, but I’m not totally sure how much it’s helping. Currently I use it every 2-3 days. I emailed my provider about these concerns and while she’s perfectly polite, she’s a little condescending and not helpful at all. I don’t feel like she’s hearing my concerns about how the formula is affecting my skin and she’s not answering questions I have about how dull and dehydrated my skin seems if I use it every day. So I’m very torn. I think that the best option is to go see a dermatologist in person. If I get to a life position where I can, that is what I’m going to do. But I only think it’s worth a try if you can’t see a dermatologist for some reason.

on 2/20/2019 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Love it! Thought the tretinoin would dry my skin out, but my provider was able to prescribe me one of the lowest percentages of the active. My skin is smooth and glowy and very well-moisturized! I have noticed that my dark spots from active pimples have faded, but it isn't helping as much with my melasma. Sometimes I get a bottle that smells a little funny, but I think variation is natural as my formula changes along with my skin. Love the product overall!

on 1/25/2019 8:03:00 AM

I finally decided to try this because Angie from Hot & Flashy talked me into it. I have followed several of her recommendations with good results. I am 51. My concerns are mostly anti-aging and melasma patches (although I do have cystic acne tendencies for which I have been taking spironolactone for 15+ years). I had been using Retin A nightly for over a year now with no problems (starting at 0.025% and bumping up to 0.05% for 2nd tube). Since I was getting to the end of 0.05% tube I decided now would be a good time to try Curology. My starting out formula is 0.05% tretinoin, 5% azelaic acid, 4% niacinamide. Service was very prompt -- I heard from NP the next day and product was delivered a few days later. My skin is tolerating this just fine and I do think it looks pretty good as far as tone and clarity. I am not sure about cost-effectiveness, as this runs $20/mo or so and my insurance covered my Retin A once but not another time (GoodRX coupon saved me $20). The amount in bottle is less than 1oz and I'm not sure it will last the month (whereas my Retin A tubes each lasted about 6 months). There is the convenience factor of customizing the formula and also doing this online without needing to visit dermatologist -- I am super busy with grad school and I work nights, so that is important for me! I plan to ask for increased tretinoin in my 2nd or 3rd bottle and see how that goes. So far, I think this is a great option but will update my review as appropriate.

on 12/30/2018 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I have battled with adult acne since I hit my twenties, predominantly around my jawline and on my chin. I have used products off and on that have worked for months or even a year or two at a time but after having children my hormones always seem to rear their ugly head every now & again. I used the acne.org treatment and it worked WONDERS for me a few years ago but I was apprehensive to start it up again because of how harsh it is on the skin and it’s a pretty big commitment every morning and night. I had seen adds for curology on Facebook and Instagram and decided to give it a shot since the first month was free (only paid $5 shipping). Well, it’s been going on two weeks now and I am very satisfied. I am not sure if it’s luck, just a good time of the month, the fact that I have been regular with my vitamins and drinking a ton of water but it seems rather coincidental that I haven’t had one breakout since I started with curology. And one of the best parts, I have had no drying & no sensitivity which is extremely hard to find in acne treatments that actually work. I am 33 years old and get hormonal breakouts pretty frequently, some cystic that last weeks. My treatment is zinc Pyrithione, Clindamycin, & Niacinamide. I will check back in, in a month or so to follow up but thus far I am very satisfied and I hope it continues!!! Update: so it's now March 6th and I am still very satisfied with this product. I love the face wash, the treatment, and the moisturizer. If I do get a pimple it always seems to be when I've gone a night or 2 without using my prescription. Very happy girl right here!

on 12/17/2018 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used the formula that was "made for my skin" and my face broke out worse than ive ever broken out before. I messaged my provider and instead of changing the formula to fix it.... they sent me the exact same mixture and oh by the way, conveniently, they do not do returns. Complete scam. Do not use this product.

on 11/27/2018 6:46:00 PM

I never had acne or any type of skin issue until I was in my early 30s going through my long and ugly divorce. Not sure if it was stress, hormones, etc., but it was bad. Cyst like type acne. Leaving horrible marks behind even after they were gone and without picking at them. I have always taken care of my skin, and I work in the beauty industry. I stumbled upon Curology and wow, it really worked. I was amazed. I am still using Curology 2 years later, and have had 2 formula changes to increase the anti-aging benefits while still keeping the acne in check. It has worked wonders for me. I am fairly sensitive but didn't have any issue with curology at any time. The doctor I work with from Curology is amazing and I really can't say enough about this stuff!

on 11/2/2018 11:07:00 AM

Beware!! No returns or refunds even if you have unopened product. After 6 weeks of use not only was there no improvement but I was experiencing dry flaky skin. Of course after this amount of time my second bottle had shipped at a cost of $40 that won't be refunded.
A little suspicious that they won't allow returns or refunds.

on 8/19/2018 4:47:00 AM

Im 8 weeks in and my skin is a lotttt worst than when i started it. Im going to try one more month but overall its ruined my skin.
I feel like some of these reviews are fake. a lot of users who reviewed this on here has no other reviews so buyers beware!!!

edit, i threw it in the trash, let me explain:

i started this trial for 5 dollars on june 20th. My prescription was azealic acid , zinc pyrithione and clindymicine.(idk the spelling) After the first week my face was breaking out really really bad in places ive never had acne before and it was pimples that werent super inflamed but the type that will leave scars quickly and for a long time. I get sooooo oily in the morning when i wake up. Im super super super greasy the day after. I told my prescriber (who seems to be on vacation a lot) and she told me is possibly purging and wait another 4 weeks. anyways fastfoward to 4 weeks and my face is still breaking out with new pimples EVERY SINGLE DAY. Id wake up everyday and wait to see where the new little fella will pop up. I only had ONE day out of the 2 months where i didnt have a new pimple but that lasted for less than 48 hours. Now in week 8 i gave up. my face is so much worst and covered in acne/acne scars. i have 15 to 20 acne scars just on one cheeks from starting curology. i never had any cheek acne before this. My problem area was always my forehead and chin and til this day i still have a bunch of active acne on those areas. my before and after is shocking and leaves me so confused. i wish i had never started curology. I messaged my provider every week and they just kept telling me to hold off and wait and wait. I think 8 weeks is long enough and im so over it. im going back to bp regime from dan at acne.org. its worked for my when i was a teen. I just have to have patience like i was with curology. i wasted 2 months on this. but i did learn to use acne patches from cosrx which are awesome. and also my skin hates anything with alcohol. i guess i took some lessons from this experience. it wasnt all that bad but if i could go back in time i would have NEVER tried this out. everyone is different and i was one of the few that hated this. A lot of recent reviews are not so great so i am guessing many of the reviews on here and elsewhere are fake. i even clicked on the profiles of people who had reviewed this as a godsend and they only ever wrote a curology review without any other ones so it seems very fishy. BEWARE BEWARE

the providers are nice and even tried to prescribe oral medicine. I didnt fall for it. its in the trash. they kept telling me to use this product and along with other products and its just been such a pain in the ass waking up and more pimples show up. way more than before i started. i have photos to prove and its not pretty.

My skin just feel irritated and super oily while using this. I told my provider , hey im breaking out and she jusy tells me to hang in there.

Now i just wash my face with gentle cleanser and splash water. Basically barely touch my skin. Then put on fab ultra repair cream and use cosrx acne patches on active whiteheads and wait. I will incorpoate bp back to my routine in a week after my skin takes a breather from the damn curology.

Dans bp 2.5% acne.org regime is 100 times better and i am getting results in 3 weeks. I no longer have acne but just scars left from curology. Trust ur instincts and know its not purging! Dont listen to those emails and trust urself. Curology is not good and made me oily and a mess and pizza face.

on 7/2/2018 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product was not for me. The myth that they promoting is that the formula you receive is formulated for you. The truth is they have set formulas and they cannot be customized.
I was already using Retin A 0.05 but liked the idea of the additional ingredients to address aging skin.. There was no option to continue on the 0.05 dose, only 0.035 or 0.075. So, I opted for the 0.075. My skin broke out and was peeling so badly I only used it once or twice a week. I shouldn't have been purging as I was already using the product. My skin looked awful. So the next time around, we went to the 0.035 and I continued to break out and peel. It was time to stop. I'm 65 and shouldn't be breaking out! It's taken about a month for my skin to settle down, but now I have some new red marks on my face from pimples I developed while using this product.
This might work for you even though it was a disaster for me. Don't expect to be able to fine tune it. I will be making an appt with the dermatologist to get a refill for my Retin A.