Avene Mineral Ultra-Light Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion Face SPF 50

Avene  Mineral Ultra-Light Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion Face SPF 50

3.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4 percent (sunscreen), Zinc Oxide 6 percent (sunscreen) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone PEG-8 Laurate, Polymethylmethacrylate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates/ C12-22 Alkylmethacrylate Copolymer, Lecithin, Trisiloxane, Oleic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Alumina, Methicone, Isostearic Acid, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium Chloride

I was looking forward to trying this as it has many positive reviews, but unfortunately it did not work well for me at all.

It left my face feeling really greasy all day and never 'dried down.' Despite the fact I am really pale (around MAC NW10), I found it created white patches all over my face. It settled into my neck creases and migrated into my eyebrows in little clumps. Not a fetching look ;-)

Positives are that it is really moisturising for me; I have found mineral sunscreens can often be pretty drying, so this is a pleasant change. It also doesn't irritate my skin.

I only used it for a few days and not in strong sun, so I can't comment on how protective it is.

It isn't sold here in the UK, so I had to get it sent from America.

I'm glad I tried it, but needless to say, I will not buy it again.

on 9/4/2016 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For reference, I have sensitive skin that can also be described as combination (some oil in the T-zone) but not extremely oily or extremely dry. I prefer this sunscreen to many I've used in the past, partly because it uses only mineral sunscreen ingredients and no chemical sunscreens. (I like it more than Elta MD Clear SPF 46, which makes me itch.)

PROS:

1) Completely comfortable on my sensitive skin all day. It does not feel greasy or sticky to me. It feels lightweight and soothing.

2) It's lightly hydrating but never heavy or oily.

3) SPF 50 sun protection with only mineral sunscreen ingredients.

4) I like the packaging. The shaker bottle is convenient and hygienic. It's a good size for travel and doesn't leak in my suitcase.

5) No breakouts from this.

CONS:

1) Like most sunscreens containing zinc and titanium dioxide, this has a slight white cast. However, I wear this sunscreen under foundation, so the white cast gets covered and doesn't damper my enthusiasm for the product. Sometimes manufacturers of physical sunscreens add a tint to their lotion to eliminate the white cast, but then the tint may not appeal to everyone.

The price is $28 for 1.3 fluid ounces. This might seem high for those on tight budgets, but it costs less than the Laura Mercier sunscreen I used to wear.

If your skin is very oily or very dry, you might have different needs than I do when it comes to sunscreen and different feelings about Avene Mineral Ultra-Light. But this has been working well for me and I'll definitely repurchase.

INGREDIENTS:

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4%), Zinc Oxide (6%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Cross polymer, Dimethicone PEG-8 Laurate, Polymethylmethacrylate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates/ C12-22 Alkylmethacrylate Copolymer, Lecithin, Trisiloxane, Oleic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Alumina, Methicone, Isostearic Acid, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium Chloride

on 7/9/2016 9:00:00 AM

I’ve tried so many sunscreens and discovered that my skin doesn’t respond well to avobenzone and tends to get clogged from zinc oxide so I’ve been using Bioderma Max Lait for years. When this came out I decided to try it because my skin has never reacted badly to an Avene product and I quite like the idea of these fluid sunscreens (the Clarins one is probably my next favourite sunscreen after Bioderma) but they’re often drying. Bioderma’s mineral sunscreen made me look like a Geisha but it didn’t cause any irritation or clogging so I was hopeful this would be the perfect sunscreen I’ve been looking for. Unfortunately my cheeks and chin became congested from it so I’m now using it around my eyes. It’s excellent for eyes because it’s not drying and the slight whitening is not an issue. The small bottle would probably run out quickly using it all over my face but it’s lasting well for eye only use.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is hands-down the worst sunscreen I have ever used. The only plus is it didn't irritate my sensitive skin, so it got 1 lipstick for that. It starts out innocently, coming out of the tube as a creamy fluid. Then the nightmare begins.

Spreads like Elmers glue. Sticks to all the dry bits, collects in large patches, gets stuck in your eyebrows like bits of cottage cheese. It took me 20 minutes of blending to make this look presentable and not some art project. I had to wipe most of it from around the eyes, eyebrows and hairline.

Final result: Leaves a noticeable white cast. Looks and feels very greasy. Feels wet to the touch, never dries or sinks in the skin. I'll use this up on my neck only, when I go jogging.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Contrary to its name, I do not find this sunscreen to be "ultra-light." For me, it's a bit too thick, heavy and greasy to wear under my makeup during the day. But that is the one and only thing I don't like about it. What's great is that it has no scent, definitely feels "cosmetically elegant" and does not leave a white cast (though that does not seem to be the case for others). The tiny bottle makes it easy to travel with.
If I do continue using it, I will probably have to find a lighter foundation. Otherwise, I'll probably just go back to the comparable (but much-thinner) La Roche Posay Anthelios.

on 10/23/2015 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got a sample of this to try out because most chemical sunscreens tend to burn my face, and I've been worried about my usual Shiseido sunscreen clogging my pores. I used a dime sized amount of this on my face and it left a garish, super white cast on my skin. I find this really hard to blend into my skin and the white just wouldn't go away. There is also a slight tint in mine but it's pink and weird and made my redness look worse. Imagine a pink ghost. I'm not sure if maybe I'm using too much but sunscreen should be applied liberally.

It also pronounced the flakes on my skin AND made it look oily. Perhaps if my skin was a bit better this would translate to 'dewy' but on my right now it just looked shiny and gross. It was so noticeable I had a sales associate at the drugstore come up to me and try to sell me a bunch of skin products for oily skin…

I'll continue to try this albeit in smaller amounts until I run out/I find something better. Not impressed with how it wears under makeup either.

on 9/17/2015 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

since avene reformulated their European sunscreens to add avobenzone to all of them...sadly I had to stop using them (it was my HG moisturizer and day sunscreen) and went to various American zinc oxide based sunscreens for a couple of years. All zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (mineral only) sunscreens will leave a white cast to some degree. It's minimal with this one. It leaves a bit of the shiny finish, but nothing too crazy....you could wear this out in public alone. But a light layer of tinted primer with mineral SPF fixes it quickly & easily and perfects it (Md solar sciences BB or bare minerals BB with SPF 30 both work nicely, no pilling or streaking)
The best part...as with all of the avene sunscreens...is that when I remove it my skin is nice. It looks nice, it feels nice, & I don't have irritation or breakouts or dryness or dehydrated skin or flakes... There aren't many other mineral based sunscreens out there that can do this. Well actually if there ARE any others I've not tried them.

I have the body version as well and it is heavier and stickier, not quite as pleasant feeling as the ultra light facial version. But.. Maybe it would be fine for someone with drier skin living in a colder, arid climate. FYI this version is a white runny fluid, it's not tinted at all. I do recall there used to be a mineral avene sunscreen with an awful pinkish-orange tint that I hated years ago

on 7/31/2015 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

this product offers high sun protection but it balls up like crazy under makeup. and no it is NOT non-whitening, it still leaves noticeable white cast on the face. hence, the 3 lippies. will think twice about repurchasing as it's not the best mineral sunscreen out there.

on 7/28/2015 5:08:00 PM

I have only been using this sunscreen for a few days, but I must say this has gotta be the best sunscreen I have ever tried. I have used a couple of different ones in the past. One of them was Paula's Choice Resist Light SPF30. It was okay but I felt like there was too much silicone in it. What I like about this sunscreen is that it has a natural finish, very very very lightweight and does not give me a whitecast that most physical sunscreens usually do. Also, I have a very sensitive, oily and acne prone skin and almost every product will give me tiny bumps and whiteheads but so far this one does not break me out which makes me really happy. I feel like my skin is not as oily especially around my cheeks and my forehead when using this (I know weird right?). The only drawback is this sunscreen is pretty pricey. I did not think it was that expensive until after I received it and saw how tiny it was. Nevertheless I will still continue buying it because this is probably the only sunscreen that does not break me out and actually makes my skin looks better (fingers crossed).

on 7/15/2015 1:43:00 AM

For all the retin a/ hydroquinone/chemical peel users out there:

This and EltaMD are the only 2 sunscreens that weren't painful to use while I was at my worst during retin A + Obagi clear regimen - every other sunscreen I've tried HURTS.

Pros:
1) feels soothing on. suitable for the even the most sensitive skin.
2) doesn't ball up too much ( EltaMD spf 46 balls up a LOT) - I managed to wear concealer over it just fine. I looked like I had bad skin - but hey, at least not monster skin...

Cons:
Does leave a bit of a white cast (but absorbs fast so it's not that bad really)
Does not look too great under foundation.

Clarins UV plus, La Roche Posay and Kiehl's super fluid 50+ work the best under makeup but might not be suitable for extremely sensitive skin. ( La Roche Posay burns a lot, Clarins does not provide full UVA coverage, and Kiehl's not moisturising enough)

Me: 25 years old, NC20, acne-prone, whiteheads-prone, (due to retin-a treatment) very sensitive skin. Easily clogged large pores.

--------------------
Update:

1 lippie off.

I've since moved on to Kiehl's Super Fluid 50+ as my skin is not as patchy and flaming-red sensitive anymore ( 6 months into retin a). The Kiehl's one is easily tolerated at this stage and works better under makeup.