NYX Micro Brow Pencil

Micro Brow Pencil

3.4

on 5/5/2017 3:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Bought this in Taupe, which is a very natural looking light ash shade. This pencil is just too hard for my taste, it takes too much effort for me to build up my brows to having some real colour and shape. Doesn't fade or smudge easily and the packaging is nice. Would not repurchase because I like something that applies much easier.

on 5/4/2017 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This would only be good for someone who already has full brows. When applied to the skin, it gets patchy and will ball up. Product would ball up on the tip of the pencil so I had to pick it off. I never had a good brow day with this. The packaging is flimsy and it's difficult to tell which cap goes to which end. I put the wrong cap on the pencil side and smashed the product. The spoolie is too thin and I had trouble trying to rake product through the brows.

Shade ash brown was a perfect match, but it was a pain in the ASS work with. I got so frustrated I threw it in the trash.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I can't understand the hype surrounding this brow pencil. I think it's one of the worst I've ever used and is in no way a dupe for the brow wiz. First of all the color range is warm toned, which makes my slightly cool toned eyebrows look very unnatural in sunlight. The formula is also pretty dry and I find that it doesn't go on smoothly, but rather skips when I apply it. But worst of all, it transfers, fades, and doesn't even stay on throughout the day.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I absolutely hated this. It's garbage and I returned it, which I rarely do if I can avoid it. I had this in Blonde. It was so dry, weirdly waxy and extremely ineffectual. Really...I couldn't even get the product to show up. It was unusable. So disappointing!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is HG for me. I have never used ABH brow wiz but I have tried Dior, L'oreal and Maybelline and the black Nyx Micro Brow pencil is the best color match for me and is super easy to use. I can go light or dark just depending on how much pressure I use which I also like. I get compliments on my brows all the time now that I use this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is good stuff, plain and simple. Many people swear by Anastasia's Brow Wiz, but truth be told I can't get into the hype of all that before at least trying drugstore dupes. This Micro Brow Pencil is a commonly acknowledged dupe, and when it comes to pencils I have had success with NYX in the past. I think this will probably be my new go-to brow product. I'm a brow pencil kind of gal; the gels, waxes, pomades and powders just seem a little too imprecise to appeal to me. For someone with larger or fuller brows I can see how they work great, but mine are on the thin side and require focused attention.
This pencil is a twist up, with a spooly on the other end to brush the brows out in the desired shape. The packaging is secure and similar in appearance to Anastasia's.
The have this in the color "Brunette"- dark neutral brown. It glides on smoothly, and doesn't patch up or skip. It is long wearing; I can't imagine a higher end brand looking better than this does after 8+ hours. It doesn't budge. It does look natural, at least to my eye, and isn't scary-heavy-pigmented but instead mimics the actual color of most brunettes' eyebrows.
When there are so many quality drugstore products widely available, it is pretty hard to justify spending double the price for a high end alternative. I will probably end up trying Anastasia's line at some point just because so many people swear by it, and when it comes to makeup curiosity gets the better of me, but I can say that I will keep using this pencil regardless because it is of a high quality and looks great.

on 8/14/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'd been using ABH's brow pomade for a good while before buying this, and initially I wasn't very fond of this brow pencil. The more I used it though, the more I came to like it. I haven't tried ABH's brow wiz, so I can't compare the two, but this pencil is very fine and gives a good amount of control and precision. Initially I found the pencil to be a terribly stiff in consistency, and not quite as pigmented that I would like it to be, but after getting used to it I didn't mind it as much. The slightly limited pigmentation and hardness of the pencil makes for a quicker application than the pomade (since you can be a bit more crude and careless and still not end up with crazy brows), though not as quick as using the classic manual brow pen/pencil. The same order goes for results: the pomade is the best, this pencil performs second best, and the manual pen/pencil the "worst" out of the bunch.

I picked this up in blonde, and let me tell you: NYX's blonde is the furthest away from ABH's blonde. Where ABH blonde shade is really cool toned, NYX's blonde is almost a reddish colour. For me, that's not necessarily a problem since I have quite a lot of red hues in my hair currently, but it may be misleading for both true blonds and bottle blondes.

+ The price - again, I've not tried ABH's brow wiz, but with how much more affordable this product is, I'm not sure I will
+ Great precision
+ No need for sharpening - can I get a hallelujah?
+ More natural-looking brows (compared to the regular brow pen/pencil)

- The shade is much, much warmer than I'd expect from a product labeled blonde
- Could definitely be a little more creamy and pigmented
- The packaging feels pretty cheap - the lid doesn't even click into place properly

on 3/16/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to love this. I needed a replacement for my Maybelline define a brow pencil as I think it's D/C'd. I was torn between buying this in Chocolate or Brunette. I chose Chocolate, and ended up returning it because it shows up very orange-y red brown on me and it just didn't look right. My hair is naturally medium-dark golden brown and my brows are more of a dark brown without gold. I have developed a few sparse patches in the last few years that I like to fill in, so this basically just made the patches stand out and look a bit auburn. I think Brunette would have been a bit too dark for me. I did like the fine tip on pencil and loved the spoolie at the other end, but ultimately the colour selection was just bad for me in this product line. I wish they had a medium brown taupe.

on 12/23/2015 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Love this! Cheaper alternative to the max eyebrow pencil. Not as pigmented and a little waxy but still gets the job done. I've stocked up on these!

on 12/17/2015 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Well, this is definitely a nice turn in pencil brow products. I have not tried ABH pencils because I have been using powdered shadows (I use bare minerals brow powder in brunette...there is zero red) in my routine for years and that is what I like. However, I wanted to try this out because it seems to be the buzz in brows lately and gosh who doesn't want to up their brow game. Anyway, my first impression is that it is (for me) perfect for just a soft, on the run kind of no makeup look. My brows are so thin that trying to "draw" them on looks odd. Powder or gel (I highly recommend NYX brow gel) gives me the shape and softness that I prefer and it balances out my stronger eye looks. But this pencil is great for a quick fix in a pinch. I like it!

Popular Brows Products