NYX Micro Brow Pencil

NYX Micro Brow Pencil
Micro Brow PencilMicro Brow Pencil

4.1

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so this will be a comparison between the NYX micro brow pencil and the ABH brow wiz.

I am a huge fan of the ABH brow wiz but it is really expensive and at $21 for a brow pencil I am open to trying anything else that's counsidered a dupe. I heard that the Nyx micro brow pencil was a possible dupe so I set out to Ulta to get it. At $9.99 it would save me a lot if I could start using this instead of the ABH which I go through so quickly.

I am Mac NC30 and I have black hair and eyebrows. I used the ABH brow wiz in brunette and medium brown/ash brown. The biggest problem with the nyx micro brow pencil is the color selection. All of the Browns were warm toned.. Some more warm than others but overall I could not find a brown that was cool toned. I had two options from the color range that wasn't warm toned- black and taupe. Since I have black hair black would be the obvious option but I hate putting black brow pencil on my brows as it makes them look scary. So I swatched taupe on my hand and headed over to ABH section of Ulta and swatched my favorite shade Medium Brown.

I compared ABH medium brown to all the NYX Micro brow pencils and the closest one was Taupe. Taupe is about 2 shades lighter than ABH medium brown so it's not a dupe but I got it anyway as it was the closest match.

I can safely say the NYX micro pencil in Taupe does not work for me
With my black hair. It may work well for someone with a different hair color better suited for it. But it leaves me with the realization that there is no color in the NYX range that I like for my black hair. The Browns are way to warm and the black - while not an intense pigmented black - is still a bit out of my comfort zone.

In terms of the formula being the same, the NYX is drier and you have to press harder to get color pay off. But once you do a little extra work to get it on, it really looks identical to the ABH on the brows.

If you can find a color in the NYX range that works for you, definitely go for it! However I don't think there's any point compromising a good brow shade to save the extra dollars as with the Taupe shade my brows just did not look great to say the least. I will be sticking to the ABH range since they do have such a great color selection that's not warm.

Hope this was helpful!

on 5/6/2015 5:34:00 PM

I have thick brows and like to use a pencil with a fine point for definition and to shape the tail. I am olive complexion, dark hair and dark brows but I like to use ashen and taupe colors to avoid looking too harsh. I am always on the hunt for an ashy pencil with no red tones to it. I got 2 Micro Brow pencils since ulta usually has them for buy one get one half off. I intended to just get a couple of the Ash Brown color but when I saw them in person, the Taupe looked even nicer than the ash.

The NYX Taupe is about is good as you are going to get for a Taupe pencil, high end OR drugstore, IMO. The color is fantastic and totally natural on me; it doesn't look like makeup, it just looks like I have really nice eyebrows. No orange or unnatural undertones. It applies very well. It is hard, as a brow pencil should be but the fine point makes it go on very smoothly. My other HG taupe drugstore brow pencil, the Maybelline twin pencil in blonde, is similar in color but the pencil can drag so hard sometimes that it rips out eyebrow hairs. This one is much less fussy and I can have perfect eyebrows in seconds. If you told me this was a more expensive, higher end pencil, I would believe it and I would pay the extra cost.

The Ash Brown color... I still like it, but in daylight - I actually do see some slight warmer tones to it. It isn't bad at all - with 90% of drugstore eyebrow pencils in the brown family, I end up taking them off right away because of the unnatural ruddy tones. This pencil is nothing like that - it is just that when I am looking for an ash pencil I am really looking for more gray undertones and no warmth. This didn't look warm at all on my hand in the store, and it certainly doesn't look bad on, just wasn't exactly what I was expecting color-wise. That said, I still end up wearing it nearly every day. It wears well, applies nicely, is a head above other drugstore eyebrow products and even as an ash lover, I would buy this color again.

To compare these to the Anastasia - my Anastasia Soft Brown is exactly the right color... But the difference between that and the micro brow is so slight that I don't think I would pay more for Anastasia. The brush on the end of Anastasia is nicer and NYX can't compare in that department, however I don't think the NYX brush is useless - it is not earth shatteringly awesome like Anastasia, but it gets the job done and is better than any other drugstore brush.

I am very impressed with this product. Only possible issues are finding the right color, and if you got spoiled by the Anastasia brush, this might be a step backward. For me, I'm sticking with NYX :)

on 4/13/2015 4:30:00 PM

I picked this up in my quest to find a cheaper alternative to the Anastasia Brow Wiz. I really like brow wiz, but I don't think it's worth the cost. What I like about this is that it gives me pretty much the same results for way less $$.

This is a nice thin pencil - the consistency is very similar to brow wiz. It's just waxy enough to be hard, so you can draw little thin hair-like strokes. It sets well. I use the Auburn color, and it is a good match for me. One end has the twist up pencil product, the other end of the pencil is a little spoolie brush.

I don't know how the other colors work out (I think brow products in general tend to be a struggle - either they are too warm, or too dark, or too light, etc.) but this one has worked well for me. I definitely recommend giving it a try if you are looking to get a good, thin brow pencil for a decent price.

I've been struggling for quite some time trying to find something I really enjoy using to fill my brows in. I've tried pomade, eye shadows, brow powder, other pencils, etc and I just can't seem to find anything that works well for me personally. After using this just one time, I've found my new HG brow pencil and i'll tell you why.

First of all, this is extremely thin which is absolutely perfect for flicking small strokes onto your brows. Secondly, the consistency of the actual product is slightly firmer which I personally really enjoy because I can control how much pigment I want/need. Thirdly, there is a spooly on the opposite side. Perfect! Last but certainly not least, THE SHADE! I have black hair and there is no way in hell I want red tinted or black eyebrows! I bought the shade Ash Brown and it is absolutely perfect for me. Not harsh, not black, not red, perfect.

I am so happy I decided to buy this. If you've been struggling to find something that works for you and your brows, give this a go.

on 7/20/2017 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in Espresso to see if I could find a less expensive dupe of Anastasia's Dark Brown (Brunette) Brow Wiz, which costs twice as much. Well, hallelujah, the NYX Micro Brow Pencil is a terrific product! I am now on my third repurchase. I have very dark brows which are thinning in places (thanks to being in my late 40s) and fair skin, and I do NOT want people looking at my brows and seeing *makeup*--yuck. I'd rather people just think, "Oh, she's so lucky to have great brows." I use very light, short strokes of this pencil to fill in the thin places, and then blend with the spoolie. Blending is definitely key if you're going for a natural look. Also, I should add that my oily complexion tends to just eat whatever makeup I put on my face. It looks great for about an hour and then just goes to hell. I loved the Anastasia Brow Wiz because it didn't move--and neither does this! It lasts for hours. Love, love love this product.

PS. I accidentally purchased NYX Micro Brow in Brunette recently instead of Espresso. It is not a color suited for dark brown hair because it's too red. It goes on more like auburn. Lovely, but not for me.

on 3/18/2017 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I've used every eyebrow pencil I could get my hands on. Even used Cle De Peau which was too dry & Tom Ford's Taupe going red on my brows. The Anastasia Brow Wiz was my HG eyebrow pencil. It's the best eyebrow filler for my sparse brows & skin tone which is nc30. I've stopped repurchasing it since I've discovered the nyx in the colour Ash, because they're so much alike. I figured I'd have my dream brows & save money all at the same time. Why not, right? However, I found out why the Nyx micro pencil is so similar to the Brow Wiz is because they are both made from same factory in South Korea! Ha! There you go. Enough said.😉

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I read that this was an Anastasia dupe, but I'm not so sure.

PROS:
--price

CONS:
--having trouble finding a shade without red tones
--harder pencil than the Brow Whiz....have to push harder, without much luck
--read that it doesn't last as long as the Brow Whiz....fades after a few hours

UPDATE: I went back to Ulta to check out the swatches. I need a dark color that has NO red tones. ALL of the browns have a red tone EXCEPT for black. So, I bought black. Since I have to push hard for the color to show, I was able to get a dark/ashy brow without looking too harsh. If it lasts all day, I just MIGHT have found my Anastasia dupe. I'll update.

on 11/20/2016 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The reason I bought the NYX Microbrow Pencil is because the Anastasia Beverly Hills pencils were too warm-toned for my eyebrows. I use the NYX color ash brown, which is a closer match.

Comparison to the Anastasia Beverly Hills (ABH) pencil

Packaging: The NYX pencil has better packaging. The ABH tip with the brush broke after 20 or so uses.

Wear time: The wear time of ABH is longer. The NYX pencil formula lasts about 6 hours then starts to fade quickly. I have found the ABH pencil to last all day (10+ hours).

Formula: The formulas are very similar, but the ABH applies more smoothly. I found the NYX pencil to get a little clumpy.

Colors: The ABH line has almost all neutral and warm toned pencils. The NYX line offers more cool toned options.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love this product. Applies beautifully and lasts all day.

I am fair with light brown hair and I use the shade 'taupe' in the inner part of my brow and the shade 'ash brown' in the outter part. It works great.

Out of the four new brow products from NYX, this is the one that I think is actually pretty good. That being said, I don't prefer brow pencils as actual fillers because my brows are too sparse that I'd run out of product quickly. I like a precise but blended shape to my brows. These kinds of products are easy and convenient for carving out a nice shape.

I have tried ABH's Brow Wiz, which I really enjoyed. I just wasn't a fan of how one pencil would last 2-3 months for me :(. As far as I can tell, this brow pencil is quite comparable to ABH's. I found it very easy to draw an outline of my brows. The texture wasn't too dry that I'd have to scrape the product on my brows, nor was it too soft that it ended up in uneven application. Frankly, it was everything that I remembered ABH Brow Wiz to be. I'd say it is indeed a decent dupe!

One thing to note is that these shades seem to run a little lighter than NYX Eyebrow Gel and NYX Tame & Frame pomade. I'd definitely recommend this product over ABH Brow Wiz if you can find a suitable shade. I did end up returning this product because I was in between shades.

See, I'm not too bad now. :p