NYX Professional Makeup Micro Brow Pencil

Micro Brow PencilMicro Brow Pencil

4.2

on 4/21/2015 11:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Heard about this from CoffeeBreakWithDani on YouTube. I was considering purchasing the Anastasia Brow Wiz but was torn based on price. Dani did a comparison video with this and so off I marched to Ulta. And I am VERY glad I saved my money and went with the NYX pencil because it works like a dream. The pencil is thin and applies smoothly and easily and brushes out nicely. The spooly on the opposite end works well too (though I've heard the Anastasia one is better). But for half the price of the Brow Wiz at $9.99, you just can't go wrong.
The one thing I'll say though is definitely make sure you swatch before you purchase because the color names are a bit tricky and are apparently the same as the Brow Wiz ones but are not the same shade. Like, for Anastasia brow pomade I use Auburn and for the NYX pencil I use Chocolate but they blend together perfectly.

Out of the four new brow products from NYX, this is the one that I think is actually pretty good. That being said, I don't prefer brow pencils as actual fillers because my brows are too sparse that I'd run out of product quickly. I like a precise but blended shape to my brows. These kinds of products are easy and convenient for carving out a nice shape.

I have tried ABH's Brow Wiz, which I really enjoyed. I just wasn't a fan of how one pencil would last 2-3 months for me :(. As far as I can tell, this brow pencil is quite comparable to ABH's. I found it very easy to draw an outline of my brows. The texture wasn't too dry that I'd have to scrape the product on my brows, nor was it too soft that it ended up in uneven application. Frankly, it was everything that I remembered ABH Brow Wiz to be. I'd say it is indeed a decent dupe!

One thing to note is that these shades seem to run a little lighter than NYX Eyebrow Gel and NYX Tame & Frame pomade. I'd definitely recommend this product over ABH Brow Wiz if you can find a suitable shade. I did end up returning this product because I was in between shades.

See, I'm not too bad now. :p

on 5/6/2015 5:34:00 PM

I have thick brows and like to use a pencil with a fine point for definition and to shape the tail. I am olive complexion, dark hair and dark brows but I like to use ashen and taupe colors to avoid looking too harsh. I am always on the hunt for an ashy pencil with no red tones to it. I got 2 Micro Brow pencils since ulta usually has them for buy one get one half off. I intended to just get a couple of the Ash Brown color but when I saw them in person, the Taupe looked even nicer than the ash.

The NYX Taupe is about is good as you are going to get for a Taupe pencil, high end OR drugstore, IMO. The color is fantastic and totally natural on me; it doesn't look like makeup, it just looks like I have really nice eyebrows. No orange or unnatural undertones. It applies very well. It is hard, as a brow pencil should be but the fine point makes it go on very smoothly. My other HG taupe drugstore brow pencil, the Maybelline twin pencil in blonde, is similar in color but the pencil can drag so hard sometimes that it rips out eyebrow hairs. This one is much less fussy and I can have perfect eyebrows in seconds. If you told me this was a more expensive, higher end pencil, I would believe it and I would pay the extra cost.

The Ash Brown color... I still like it, but in daylight - I actually do see some slight warmer tones to it. It isn't bad at all - with 90% of drugstore eyebrow pencils in the brown family, I end up taking them off right away because of the unnatural ruddy tones. This pencil is nothing like that - it is just that when I am looking for an ash pencil I am really looking for more gray undertones and no warmth. This didn't look warm at all on my hand in the store, and it certainly doesn't look bad on, just wasn't exactly what I was expecting color-wise. That said, I still end up wearing it nearly every day. It wears well, applies nicely, is a head above other drugstore eyebrow products and even as an ash lover, I would buy this color again.

To compare these to the Anastasia - my Anastasia Soft Brown is exactly the right color... But the difference between that and the micro brow is so slight that I don't think I would pay more for Anastasia. The brush on the end of Anastasia is nicer and NYX can't compare in that department, however I don't think the NYX brush is useless - it is not earth shatteringly awesome like Anastasia, but it gets the job done and is better than any other drugstore brush.

I am very impressed with this product. Only possible issues are finding the right color, and if you got spoiled by the Anastasia brush, this might be a step backward. For me, I'm sticking with NYX :)

This is a very decent dupe for ABH Brow wiz for half the price. It is slightly on the dry side but works perfectly fine. Great selection of shades and stays put.

I have this in Chocolate and have been using it about 2 weeks. I like how the formula is drier and I honestly love the spoolie. I brush my brows down and fill them in, then brush them back into place. Being new to filling in my brows, I do not have anything to compare this product to, but it is preferred to using a brown eye liner!!
I am cautious about using too much, or making them too dark/ severe, but I feel more put together when they are 'done'.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I use this in Espresso (Revlon Colorstay Caramel/soft black eyebrows), though I probably could use Black for a more dramatic look. This gives the most natural yet defined look! The tip is thin and perfect for drawing in realistic brow hairs. The spoolie on the other end is convenient for brushing hairs into place and blending in a pinch. I usually wouldn't pay ten dollars for a brow pencil, but the results are nice enough to justify it. (That is, if I can't catch a sale when I need another one)

on 6/14/2015 12:11:00 PM

I have repurchased this for fleek brows 3 times in about 2 months. That goes to show, I go through this product quickly and I have no brows of my own! I reach for this in Ash brown, way more over my Anastasia brow gel in Chocolate. It's fast, it's micro, more natural looking, and is the same thing as the brow wiz but way cheaper, especially when purchased with coupons during sales at Ulta 😏. Get this!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I read that this was an Anastasia dupe, but I'm not so sure.

PROS:
--price

CONS:
--having trouble finding a shade without red tones
--harder pencil than the Brow Whiz....have to push harder, without much luck
--read that it doesn't last as long as the Brow Whiz....fades after a few hours

UPDATE: I went back to Ulta to check out the swatches. I need a dark color that has NO red tones. ALL of the browns have a red tone EXCEPT for black. So, I bought black. Since I have to push hard for the color to show, I was able to get a dark/ashy brow without looking too harsh. If it lasts all day, I just MIGHT have found my Anastasia dupe. I'll update.

Me: black hair, black brows, NC 30 skin
Pros: perfect black/grey color that is not brown at all (browns look weird on my black eyebrows), dry texture helps the color go on lightly (i'm going for a natural look, not instagram brows)

Cons: doesn't stay on as long as Sephora's pencil. Some of the color starts fading after a few hours.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! I have always used the anastasia brow wiz, and I can honestly say that it's very similar. I was looking for a cheaper, but good brow pencil and I'm so glad I found this! It's long lasting, since i have oily skin and doesn't slip off! I really recommend this product!

Popular Brows Products