NYX Micro Brow Pencil

NYX Micro Brow Pencil
Micro Brow Pencil

4.1

on 4/13/2015 4:30:00 PM

I picked this up in my quest to find a cheaper alternative to the Anastasia Brow Wiz. I really like brow wiz, but I don't think it's worth the cost. What I like about this is that it gives me pretty much the same results for way less $$.

This is a nice thin pencil - the consistency is very similar to brow wiz. It's just waxy enough to be hard, so you can draw little thin hair-like strokes. It sets well. I use the Auburn color, and it is a good match for me. One end has the twist up pencil product, the other end of the pencil is a little spoolie brush.

I don't know how the other colors work out (I think brow products in general tend to be a struggle - either they are too warm, or too dark, or too light, etc.) but this one has worked well for me. I definitely recommend giving it a try if you are looking to get a good, thin brow pencil for a decent price.

on 4/17/2015 10:04:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This really is a great product and it is definitely comparable to Anastasia Brow Wiz, but the packaging is *so flimsy* and delicate. The twisting pencil side broke after about 2 weeks of light use. I looked in my makeup bag, and the twisting side fell out of the holder and the product broke apart everywhere in my bag. Other than that, I would possibly consider re-purchasing if I HAD to (ex: if I was out of town and forgot my brow products) but I don't want to risk it falling apart again. I would rather pay an extra $8 to make sure it won't.

I have never tried ABH Brow Wiz. I have bought the Sephora brow pencil because it was similar but I disliked it because it wore off so fast!

I thought I'd give this a try and I love it! It works so well to just add to parts I'm sparse at and looks natural. I always end up with very harsh brows when using Dipbrow or NYX Brow Gel. This is so nice and natural looking. It lasts on me and I get compliments all the time about my brows.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Bottom Line: No where close to Anastasia Brow Wiz.

I have this in Taupe. It is a decent drugstore brow pencil. The spoolie is absolute crap- it kind of exfoliates my skin all around my brow. It is not as melty/greasy as other drugstore pencils. It works fine BUT...
It in no way, shape, or form compares to Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde/Taupe. My brows are perfection all day long with ABW. They are my brows, but better. The color with the NYX one is off. I guess it's warmth? I can tell my eyebrows are put on - they are not 'natural' looking.
I would not say it is a bad product. Maybe there is a color that works for you. I do think that if you are looking for a less expensive alternative to ABW in Ash Blonde/Taupe, you will not find NYX Taupe comparable.

UPDATE 9/29/15: I ran out of brow wiz and decided to use this up before buying a replacement. I have gotten used to it and decided based on the price it is good enough. I've changed my review to will repurchase again but I will leave my review at 4 stars because I have been ruined by Anastasia.

on 4/21/2015 11:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Heard about this from CoffeeBreakWithDani on YouTube. I was considering purchasing the Anastasia Brow Wiz but was torn based on price. Dani did a comparison video with this and so off I marched to Ulta. And I am VERY glad I saved my money and went with the NYX pencil because it works like a dream. The pencil is thin and applies smoothly and easily and brushes out nicely. The spooly on the opposite end works well too (though I've heard the Anastasia one is better). But for half the price of the Brow Wiz at $9.99, you just can't go wrong.
The one thing I'll say though is definitely make sure you swatch before you purchase because the color names are a bit tricky and are apparently the same as the Brow Wiz ones but are not the same shade. Like, for Anastasia brow pomade I use Auburn and for the NYX pencil I use Chocolate but they blend together perfectly.

Out of the four new brow products from NYX, this is the one that I think is actually pretty good. That being said, I don't prefer brow pencils as actual fillers because my brows are too sparse that I'd run out of product quickly. I like a precise but blended shape to my brows. These kinds of products are easy and convenient for carving out a nice shape.

I have tried ABH's Brow Wiz, which I really enjoyed. I just wasn't a fan of how one pencil would last 2-3 months for me :(. As far as I can tell, this brow pencil is quite comparable to ABH's. I found it very easy to draw an outline of my brows. The texture wasn't too dry that I'd have to scrape the product on my brows, nor was it too soft that it ended up in uneven application. Frankly, it was everything that I remembered ABH Brow Wiz to be. I'd say it is indeed a decent dupe!

One thing to note is that these shades seem to run a little lighter than NYX Eyebrow Gel and NYX Tame & Frame pomade. I'd definitely recommend this product over ABH Brow Wiz if you can find a suitable shade. I did end up returning this product because I was in between shades.

See, I'm not too bad now. :p

on 5/6/2015 5:34:00 PM

I have thick brows and like to use a pencil with a fine point for definition and to shape the tail. I am olive complexion, dark hair and dark brows but I like to use ashen and taupe colors to avoid looking too harsh. I am always on the hunt for an ashy pencil with no red tones to it. I got 2 Micro Brow pencils since ulta usually has them for buy one get one half off. I intended to just get a couple of the Ash Brown color but when I saw them in person, the Taupe looked even nicer than the ash.

The NYX Taupe is about is good as you are going to get for a Taupe pencil, high end OR drugstore, IMO. The color is fantastic and totally natural on me; it doesn't look like makeup, it just looks like I have really nice eyebrows. No orange or unnatural undertones. It applies very well. It is hard, as a brow pencil should be but the fine point makes it go on very smoothly. My other HG taupe drugstore brow pencil, the Maybelline twin pencil in blonde, is similar in color but the pencil can drag so hard sometimes that it rips out eyebrow hairs. This one is much less fussy and I can have perfect eyebrows in seconds. If you told me this was a more expensive, higher end pencil, I would believe it and I would pay the extra cost.

The Ash Brown color... I still like it, but in daylight - I actually do see some slight warmer tones to it. It isn't bad at all - with 90% of drugstore eyebrow pencils in the brown family, I end up taking them off right away because of the unnatural ruddy tones. This pencil is nothing like that - it is just that when I am looking for an ash pencil I am really looking for more gray undertones and no warmth. This didn't look warm at all on my hand in the store, and it certainly doesn't look bad on, just wasn't exactly what I was expecting color-wise. That said, I still end up wearing it nearly every day. It wears well, applies nicely, is a head above other drugstore eyebrow products and even as an ash lover, I would buy this color again.

To compare these to the Anastasia - my Anastasia Soft Brown is exactly the right color... But the difference between that and the micro brow is so slight that I don't think I would pay more for Anastasia. The brush on the end of Anastasia is nicer and NYX can't compare in that department, however I don't think the NYX brush is useless - it is not earth shatteringly awesome like Anastasia, but it gets the job done and is better than any other drugstore brush.

I am very impressed with this product. Only possible issues are finding the right color, and if you got spoiled by the Anastasia brush, this might be a step backward. For me, I'm sticking with NYX :)

This is a very decent dupe for ABH Brow wiz for half the price. It is slightly on the dry side but works perfectly fine. Great selection of shades and stays put.

I have this in Chocolate and have been using it about 2 weeks. I like how the formula is drier and I honestly love the spoolie. I brush my brows down and fill them in, then brush them back into place. Being new to filling in my brows, I do not have anything to compare this product to, but it is preferred to using a brown eye liner!!
I am cautious about using too much, or making them too dark/ severe, but I feel more put together when they are 'done'.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I use this in Espresso (Revlon Colorstay Caramel/soft black eyebrows), though I probably could use Black for a more dramatic look. This gives the most natural yet defined look! The tip is thin and perfect for drawing in realistic brow hairs. The spoolie on the other end is convenient for brushing hairs into place and blending in a pinch. I usually wouldn't pay ten dollars for a brow pencil, but the results are nice enough to justify it. (That is, if I can't catch a sale when I need another one)

Popular Brows Products