Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.5

on 9/15/2018 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Pros
-neutrals
-matte (very matte)

cons
-too dry
-7 light shades out of 12 so a little more than half
- powdery with lots of fall out
-colors can easily muddle together.
-some shades blend away easily

Honestly I just didn't like this palette. I can see it being a great beginners palette and a palette for the neutral loving person but this just made me so unhappy I would look at it and feel uninspired. and When I would use it looks would be very subdued or cloudy...the reddish shade and the black shade were the only shades that would stay intense as i would blend. Formula wise it made my eyes feel very dry and tight and after 3 hrs they would look crepe like in terms of texture. the only pro is they look great in photographs and some how it makes eyes look lifted. despite it looking bad in real life real dry and muddy and the formula feels uncomfortable.

on 7/23/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my go-to neutral matte palette – and I love it. The formula is smooth, shades are super opaque, and all shades blend like a dream. I have never had an issue of similar colors “mudding” together, which is a major plus. I typically use this palette for easy daily looks, but if I want to step it up a notch I simply grab a more glimmer shade and pop it on top – I can take this from day to eve in a snap. While there is some kick-up with these, they apply smooth and I do not find any emphasis in texture. I find it’s a great deal for the price.

on 5/31/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

So, I recently went through a massive purge in an effort to embrace minimalism in all things, including makeup. This was one of only two palettes to survive and remain in my now modest collection. It is my day to day go-to palette to create the base of almost every eye look I do. The way the quads are arranged makes it a no-brainer to create some shape, from a perfectly natural contour to an ultra smoky look. All the shadows are matte, which is fabulous if you're 'of a certain age' and I tend to use other shadow singles to add some sparkle for date nights etc. These shadows are smooth and sooooo pigmented (I can't say that without hearing MannyMUA in my head) and they work well on all the eyeshadow bases I have tried. The pans are generous and I doubt I'll run out anytime soon, even though I use this almost every day. 100% hate the outside of the otherwise very sturdy packaging though, would have loved it during my 80's romantic Goth phase but it's just not my thing now.

on 4/26/2018 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a good palette for a beginner who is starting to get into eyeshadow. You can experiment with neutral, cool, and warm tones. You have everything you need to create a matte look, natural or dramatic. The shadows are very soft and blend easily. They basically blend themselves. They blend so well they tend to blend farther than you intend them too. I find that when I use more than 4 shades things get muddy real fast. Less is more. I think it is because they are so soft. The only reason I would not repurchase this is because I tend to use the same few shades over and over. I hardly touch the warm quad. It looks brand new on my palette. Instead of purchasing this again I would rather purchase single shades of the ones I use and abuse. I do not regret buying this and KVD is one of my favorite eyeshadow formulas.

on 4/23/2018 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$48.00

I love this palette and will never tire of it. The only thing I would change would be to add a couple of shimmers or even one and use different colors in the center group bt keep the black. I use that center area the least, but I do use the white and black in that one. I really don't mind an all matte look for a soft, everyday look. These shadow are well pigmented, easy to blend. Are few are a little powdery but most mattes are, yes, even Viseart, which "gasp" I think are highly over hyped and not that crazy about. They blend so flawlessly, they almost blend themselves and are so easy to work with and they never look muddy. I don't have the patience or talent to deal with shadows that are hard to blend easily.

This is the only palette I have ever owned that I love every single color and use every single one. I also appreciate the larger sizes in the 3 base colors and that they are not all warm toned. I am really over everything being so warmed tone. I don't want orange, red, dark bronzey eyes ever single day. Even the warm section isn't overly warm, a neutral warm. I will definitely repurchase this the next time Sephora has a sale just in case they discontinue it because I have it pan on some colors. I also love the packaging but I wish the color names were on the pans.

Description from the Sephora website:

What it is:
An eye contouring palette with three color quads in neutral, cool, and warm shades.

What it does:
Transform your eyes through the art of contouring. After tapping into makeup pro secrets, Kat Von D created this first-of-its-kind eyeshadow palette, specially designed for eye contouring—a groundbreaking technique once used only by beauty experts to define and enhance eyes. This palette features a gorgeous, versatile array of true contouring shades, arranged into three color quads—neutral, cool, and warm—to flatter every skin tone.

Three large base shadows are arranged above three coordinating powders for contouring, defining, and highlighting. The palette includes an easy-to-follow contouring guide with step-by-step instructions for creating three different eye-opening techniques. Each velvety powder is blendable and buildable, in Kat Von D’s signature high-pigment, long-wear eyeshadow formula for rich looks that last all day and night.

This palette contains:
- 3 x 0.08 oz/ 2.26 g Base shades in Laetus (creamy nude), Lazarus (cool taupe), Ludwin (peachy bronze)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Contour shades in Samael (dusty fawn), Saleos (smoky brown), Succubus (rich rust)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Define shades in Solas (espresso brown), Shax (jet black), Sytry (chocolate brown)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Highlight shades in Lucius (soft beige), Liberatus (pinkish ivory), Latinus (golden bisque)

What else you need to know:
"The true inspiration behind the Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette comes from all these years of trying to understand the usage of shadows and light within the portraits I draw."—Kat Von D

Kat Von D opens your eyes to a once-exclusive world of pro contouring techniques with the step-by-step insert included with the palette. Apply shades with Shade + Light Eye Contour Brush (sold separately), specially designed for use with this palette. She hand-sketched the "Shade + Light Eye" logo that’s featured on the palette cover.

Master three transformative eye-contouring techniques—lift, balance, and define—with the easy-to-follow guide, created and illustrated by Kat Von D: Lift to raise outer corners and accentuate or create a crease. Define to emphasize lash lines and create depth. Balance to draw eyes either closer together or farther apart.

best matte eye palette ever! the quality of the shadows are sooooo good and they have good staying power as well. i can also do so many looks with this. its just so good. if you need a basic matte eye palette to fit your need, get this. its def worth the money

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This a great palette, especially for people with hooded eyes because all the colors are matte. Great x of warm, cool and neutral toned colors to create many different looks from subtle to smoked out. Pigmentation is awesome and blends easily! There is a little bit of fall out but not much. I reach for this everyday. I also have all of the Urban Decay Naked palette's but this is my clear winner because I prefer matte shades. However, I do not have the smaller UD Naked Basics palettes so I can't compare this to those palettes. The only reason I would not repurchase is because I only use the middle set of colors so I'd rather buy a smaller palette in the future. I would love it if she made a palette with just the middle four colors:)

on 3/26/2018 5:02:00 PM

This really is a fabulous palette... A solid 4.7, deserving of a bump up to 5. Being neutral toned, I'm able to mix and match all these shades to work for me.. even if one of the shades meant to be a crease shade might be a little warm overall, I can use one of the cooler browns blended in as a transition shade.. This palette is as dear to me as Tarte's Clay Play Face palette, and I get alot of use of both for shadows, brows, contour, eyes etc.. I was excited to find one at Marshall's for $19, and now I have a backup for my original one I bought at full price several years ago, and will definitely use...this is a basic staple product everyone needs and can use...Definitely recommend.

on 3/14/2018 10:06:00 PM

Look no further for the perfect all in one pallet.
This Kat Von D pallet include the contouring shades that fit most skin tones with a bit of mixing and also the perfect combination of eye shadows to create that great smokey eye look for a night out!
The contouring powders are extremely pigmented and last forever.
i used my angled contouring brush and a larger blush brush to blend.
Would recommend it for a great go to product.

It took me a while to purchase this palette as I had the Naked 2 basics, Tarte Matte, and the Viseart matte palette. All of the aforementioned are fine, but I had dislikes about each of them. However this one is something special!

The warm quad in this palette isn’t TOO warm, the neutral is neutral, and the cool isn’t TOO cool. Viseart has too many warm colors for my liking. Naked 2 basic colors are great, but the pigmentation wasn’t great. The Tarte matte had decent shades, but the formula falls short for me.

This palette has both great shades and pigmentation. These shadows last a full 12 hour shift for me. Great Great Great for my hooded eyes. I seriously can carve a good looking crease!

Overall this is a great palette. As with everything, I feel the cost is too high but compared to the Viseart it is a fair price for a basic workhorse palette. I only purchase makeup when I can catch a sale. I can’t say I’ve ever seen Kat von d have a sale on her palettes on her website, so the biannual Sephora sale is when I purchased it. With that being said, now that I have tried it I must admit this is one of those items I would pay full retail for and that is a rarity for me to say!