Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 12/9/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I returned mine. After hoping that I'd use all the wonderful matte browns in it, I found that only "my" region (warm) worked on me, and that I would rather save the room and cardboard by purchasing four mattes in "my" shades. YMMV.

on 11/23/2016 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I absolutely love nude/neutral colours so this was definitely a must have. I am still getting used to applying it according to the instructions but i am slowly getting better. Amazing colour selection, beautiful classy packaging. A must have for 'eye contour' fans.

on 11/12/2016 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The palette itself is laid out in a user-friendly manner, with three functional "quads" - one more neutral, one cooler, one warmer. You can mix and match across the board, but the way the shades are arranged makes the palette very accessible for a makeup newbie trying to build a cohesive eye look.
The shades are matte, with the three palest having an incredibly subtle satin finish, barely perceptible as a sheen once applied.
These strike a near-perfect balance between smooth and dense. I had no issues getting these eye shadows to do what I wanted them to do. Haze out a soft transition... Easy. Build up a serious smokey eye... No problem. Deepen a crease with perfect accuracy, or soften the edge of a winged eyeliner... Done and done.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use the palette every day. If you're at the point where you're developing fine lines and other problems that just come with age (mine are very minor, slight cross-hatching under my eyes and near my upper lashes when you're really close up) and you just don't want to bring attention to them, matte shadows are for you.

These are very pigmented, and require a light hand. I don't find them particularly difficult to blend, even when my UD eye primer on. They last all day, even without primer.

There will be fallout. It makes no difference to me, as I have always done my eyes before applying my foundation to the face. Why? Because then fallout is irrelevant to my life. But in fairness, I took off half a lippy for the fallout factor. I do not find them to be 'chalky'. I've had my fair share of crappy, chalky drug-store products and this is NOT chalky.

I took off an additional half-lippy because two of the browns to swatch very similarly once on the eye, and that's a shame bc they did so well otherwise. I've been able to create one five-minute everyday look, and after playing around a bit, I can put together 4 to 5 obviously different looks and probably another 2 that start to overlap. Keep in mind, this is a neutral palette, and I am not a makeup guru, so I would consider that a pretty good selection of looks. If it matters, since I got this palette my husband has commented on how he can't figure what I'm doing differently, but how nice my eyes look. I also consider this a win for this palette.

My daughter also has this, and she likes it as a neutral palette, though she finds it more limiting than I do. She still uses it as a shape and contour most days, and fills in her 'look' with some more colourful/shimmery palettes.

So it functions really well as both a primary palette (me) or a contour palette (her).

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be the dissenter here and there are some excellent things about this product. The frustrations overpower them for now.
Pros
-decent value: many shades and substantial product for the price
-pigmented
-long-lasting with primer
-well-coordinated shades
-"cool" and "warm" match my pale, yellow-toned skin and dark hair well (oddly "neutral" makes me look sick)

Cons
-all flat matte shades
-difficult to blend, especially with pigmentation
-flakes easily and the runoff shifts all over the other shades in the palette and taints them
-hard to work with compared to my Urban Decay and MAC longwear: those are long-wearing and pigmented, but easy to blend and control for different looks

I love things about this palette, but find it difficult to work with at times, messy with runoff and just too matte.

The most frustrating part is trying to do contour, lashline, etc, and having too pigmented blotches that won't blend enough, but also aren't targeted enough to emphasize certain areas only. It doesn't "glide" enough and the fallout gets everywhere. The dry, powdery nature mixed with + pigment means extra product on the brush that falls everywhere and sticks where it falls. I hate how no matter what brush I use, extra powder comes off in the pan and sticks to the brush.

My eyes just end up looking messy. In contrast, I can easily work with Urban Decay (individual pots) and MAC to layer, blend, and emphasize flexibly.

Will continue trying to work with this, since I like the shades and lasting power!

on 8/14/2016 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette and use it all the time. The quality is wonderful and the colors wear so well. I I'm going to throw it out there, that while I do love this palette and find it super useful, I wouldn't say it's a must have for everyone. If you are not a serious makeup addict I don't feel like you'll find it as useful. Everyone isn't going to know what to do with twelve neutral shades of brown. The palette is made for eye contouring which isn't something the average makeup wearer is going to need daily. So if you think you can put it to good use I would say it is absolutely worth the money and that there isn't another palette on the market that compares.

on 8/10/2016 8:26:00 AM

I *adore* this eye shadow palette!!! The colors are rich and creamy and very pigmented. They are all wonderful, wearable, buttery, matte shades and you can create a number of eye looks from this. And it's such a versatile palette! I love the darker shades - black, chocolate brown, etc. - I use these with a flat bristle brush to softly line my eye. I push the color close to the lash line and it is great for an older woman like myself. I find a liquid liner or pencil can look too harsh. And the top middle shade works great for filling in my brows in a pinch. It's a very cool taupe-ey shade with no red in it and that goes great with my coloring. A superb palette and the first Kat Von D product I have owned. However, loving this as much as I do, makes me want to try more from her line!!

on 7/7/2016 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of the few palettes out there, whose overhyped status is based on truth. I was very hesitant to get this one, simply because I have ALOT of palettes, but I decided to go and swatch this baby to see for myself. I was blown away by great quality of mattes! Usually mattes suck, don't you agree? It's easier to find a palette with dry powdery, patchy, sandy, grainy shadows, than a buttery matte shadow. But here she is! A palette full of buttery, smooth, silky, heavily pigmented matte shades! There are no duds, as far as I can tell, all shades perform very well. They blend like a dream, even with my cheap Ecotools brushes, they stay on all day with primer (I always use primer because my eyes are very hooded). I will take this palette on vacation, because this is a perfect palette to get any look done quickly and professionally. I'll also take a few of my beloved Loreal Infallible pigments for a pop of color on the lid, and I'm golden! I wore several different looks with this palette, sometimes by itself and sometimes in conjunction with the beautiful Infallible pigments (I love myself a sparkly lid! ), and got many compliments, even from random strangers. I love this palette, I definitely recommend it, even for those of us, who have seemingly every palette! You will find a ton of use out of this one. Mark my words, after you play with this one and a bunch of single colorful pigments, you'll ditch most of your existing stash in favor of Shade & Light. Just wait and see...

on 7/6/2016 4:18:00 AM

This palette is idiot-proof. I learned quickly that you only need to tap your brush in - a far cry from the scraping I had to do with my first shadow back in the day (maybelline, revlon, whatever it was, it wasn't good) If you like simple shadow looks that blend seamlessly, and are new to shadows; go for this. Most days this is all I use, sometimes with a bit of TheBalms Mary Loumanizer in my inner corners if I look very tired, and occasionally I'll pat a shimmery shade from the original Naked palette on the lid. I own one other all matte palette - TheBalm's Meet Matt(e) Nude, and while that is quite good, this is more universally usable and the formula is definitely better. It's also fine without primer, which surprised me as I have fairly oily lids.

I'd repurchase this (AU$64 but I got a discount so $57.60). It's holy grail for me, and since I've been minimalising and panning makeup for a while now, that's a big deal for me.

on 4/12/2016 12:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

an amazing palette! great color pay off as well as selection. The shadows are so buttery and smooth! I like how they show you which are cool, neutral and warm so it doesnt start to look muddy! my favorite shade is "laetus", it makes for a great transition shade!