Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.1

on 7/23/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my go-to neutral matte palette – and I love it. The formula is smooth, shades are super opaque, and all shades blend like a dream. I have never had an issue of similar colors “mudding” together, which is a major plus. I typically use this palette for easy daily looks, but if I want to step it up a notch I simply grab a more glimmer shade and pop it on top – I can take this from day to eve in a snap. While there is some kick-up with these, they apply smooth and I do not find any emphasis in texture. I find it’s a great deal for the price.

on 4/26/2018 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a good palette for a beginner who is starting to get into eyeshadow. You can experiment with neutral, cool, and warm tones. You have everything you need to create a matte look, natural or dramatic. The shadows are very soft and blend easily. They basically blend themselves. They blend so well they tend to blend farther than you intend them too. I find that when I use more than 4 shades things get muddy real fast. Less is more. I think it is because they are so soft. The only reason I would not repurchase this is because I tend to use the same few shades over and over. I hardly touch the warm quad. It looks brand new on my palette. Instead of purchasing this again I would rather purchase single shades of the ones I use and abuse. I do not regret buying this and KVD is one of my favorite eyeshadow formulas.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I've had this palette for a while and at first I really loved it, but the more I use it, the more I realize that the some of the shadows are kinda chalky and hard to blend out. Some of them go on a little patchy as well. I also don't like that there are a lot of similar shades in the palette- I don't think there needed to be a highlight shade in every quad in the palette. However, there are shades that I really do love in the palette- Lazarus, Saleos, Shax (extremely black), and Succubus. I like that it's all matte.

I'm conflicted as to whether I'd buy this again. As mentioned, I like the unique grey toned shades but I don't feel that there's enough of a variety of different shades. It's really not a bad palette- you have to be careful about which brushes you use, which primer you use (I tried using one of the lighter cream colored shades with the white NYX jumbo pencil and had to remove it because it was so patchy), and some shadows will require more blending than others. Overall, I think it's a good palette if you really like matte and neutral shadows, but I do think there are better formulas on the market.

on 3/17/2017 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Easily my favourite nude/natural/everyday wear matte palette. The colours will work for ANY skin tone and blend so easily. I love the booklet that comes with it with ideas for how to contour the eye (really neat stuff) but even using it not for the purpose of contouring, this palette is perfection. You can create so many versatile looks with these shadows.

There isn't much else to say about this palette. I just really, really love it.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

(nothing to see here....just deleting my review because KVD is an anti vaxxer and I'll never buy another thing she profits from)

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

My favourite palette ever and i have purchased many palettes. I love how there are cool, neutral and warm quads which work amazingly together and other shades can also work well together. The formulation is also amazing. Such high pigment and colour payoff i can wear these easily without priming the eyes. The black is well very black and when your brush is wet it is great to use as a liner. I love all of Kat Von D products and this is definitely one of her best. Such a well formulated, well thought out product and it definitely deserves the hype it gets.

on 4/12/2016 12:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

an amazing palette! great color pay off as well as selection. The shadows are so buttery and smooth! I like how they show you which are cool, neutral and warm so it doesnt start to look muddy! my favorite shade is "laetus", it makes for a great transition shade!

on 2/7/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

For everyone out there looking for a really great "nude" or "natural" palette - the Kat Von D Shade and Light palette is a find. I, like many, love eyeshadows! I love color and sparkle and wild electric elements (even as a very mature gal) BUT the colors in this palette are perfect for the everyday world that we all live in ... and the formulation of the shadows causes them to blend beautifully! There is a lot of product here - should take a long time to use finish any one shadow. There is a little fall out with these but nothing out of the ordinary. Recommend this - maybe not quite as "sexy" as some palettes but well worth the money!

on 1/29/2016 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the black tank top of eye shadow palettes. A sexy little multi-tasker - much sexier than a plain white tee - that you can dress up or down, make it rock or go preppy, wear to the board room or to a cook out.

In short, every makeup lover needs this in her/his beauty arsenal. It is my personal HG shadow palette and the only one I own that I would immediately replace if I lost. Or when the day comes that I hit pan on each shadow. Cause this is the only palette that may be an actual possibility.

Why do I feel this way? Let's discuss.

1) Colors like an army of UPS guys for your eyes - just hot, matte, workhorses. There is not a dud in this whole palette. There are the neutral neutrals, the cool neutral and the warm neutrals.
2) Versatility like a real Renaissance man. In addition to use as eye shadow, I now use this palette exclusively for my brow powder (set with clear gel) as well as on occasion as liner (with a dampened sigma E05)
3) Formula like the guy who isn't perfect, but is perfect for you. These are powdery, but there is no fallout on my face. They blend super well and are pigmented. I use eye primer with all shadows as I need my makeup to last 12+ hours. These last that long. Net, works for me!

I got this palette for Christmas and have used everyday since then. I have used it for huge client meetings, lazy Saturdays with my family, and for church. For date night with the hubs and for parent teacher conferences. Alone in house during blizzard - yup - wearing this. Even when I force myself to use others in my collection, I will include a shade or two from this as well - even if only for my brows.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

on 11/11/2015 6:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

See review below: I basically needed to play with this. It needs some time to understand. It is dusty and can be powerfully out of control. I have changed my mind and find myself borrowing colors from this pallet to supplement other looks.

Oh my goodness....I can't believe what I am about to say. I DO NOT, CAN NOT recommend this pallet. First, the fall out and the mess it makes on your face, clothes and whatever surface you are using to put your stuff on is UNREAL. Second, I was really convinced I was going to be able to make several even just simple eye looks and they were just so boring. Lastly, as a cool toned person I really could only use about half the shades. I'm disappointed. Please consider checking this out in person instead of ordering it based on reviews. For the money, I recommend the Lorac pro 2 if you want matte cool tones.

P.S. The black in this pallet is gray.