Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 5/31/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

So, I recently went through a massive purge in an effort to embrace minimalism in all things, including makeup. This was one of only two palettes to survive and remain in my now modest collection. It is my day to day go-to palette to create the base of almost every eye look I do. The way the quads are arranged makes it a no-brainer to create some shape, from a perfectly natural contour to an ultra smoky look. All the shadows are matte, which is fabulous if you're 'of a certain age' and I tend to use other shadow singles to add some sparkle for date nights etc. These shadows are smooth and sooooo pigmented (I can't say that without hearing MannyMUA in my head) and they work well on all the eyeshadow bases I have tried. The pans are generous and I doubt I'll run out anytime soon, even though I use this almost every day. 100% hate the outside of the otherwise very sturdy packaging though, would have loved it during my 80's romantic Goth phase but it's just not my thing now.

on 3/26/2018 5:02:00 PM

This really is a fabulous palette... A solid 4.7, deserving of a bump up to 5. Being neutral toned, I'm able to mix and match all these shades to work for me.. even if one of the shades meant to be a crease shade might be a little warm overall, I can use one of the cooler browns blended in as a transition shade.. This palette is as dear to me as Tarte's Clay Play Face palette, and I get alot of use of both for shadows, brows, contour, eyes etc.. I was excited to find one at Marshall's for $19, and now I have a backup for my original one I bought at full price several years ago, and will definitely use...this is a basic staple product everyone needs and can use...Definitely recommend.

on 12/9/2017 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Im on the fence with this.

Pros :
1. Generous offer for base colors which tackles the problems with most (if not all) palettes. Value wise, this palette makes a lot sense.
2. Good-to-go palette for almost every look. Natural, work, glam, this palette rocks it.
3. Good for any level makeup expertise. Beginner to pro, this palette got your back.
4. Great price point. Im not saying this is cheap, but the price is justified for the quality

Cons :
1. The texture is bit too dry (I cant say chalky either) to my liking
2. I'm NC 25 and the neutral quad is too blah IMO. It just rubs me in the wrong way, if I may say that

I still like my LORAC palette better than this, but I can live with this palette, will use it, but will not repurchase it.

on 11/25/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I fell in love with this palette the first time I used it. Since then I have used it almost every day and have found ways to use it for any occasion. Firstly, the packaging is beautiful and even comes with suggested steps to create looks, which is particularly helpful for those who are less experienced with makeup. The best part of the packaging has to be the enormous mirror. The palette does not come with a brush, which will only be an issue for some consumers. The shadows themselves are pretty much all I could ask for in a neutral palette. The colors are beautiful, highly pigmented, and easy to blend. They're super soft, although a bit powdery. That can be difficult to overcome for those of us who have become accustomed to palettes where it's harder to pick up the product. Fallout is pretty easily avoided by being gentle when picking up the product on the brush. My only issue with some of the lighter shadows is because I have watery eyes, which can wet wash some of the product away if I don't add a little extra. On the other hand, I've had the product survive sweat, tears, and even come out mostly intact from a shower! The palette is $48 and I absolutely intend to repurchase this whenever I run out!

on 4/4/2017 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I think I would buy this again when I finish my first palette. I love the texture and blendability of these shadows, I like the diverse 'tones', especially since cool nudes are hard to find. I would give this a 4.5 since for many people not ALL the shade stories will work, but it is still a great product. For me, for example, I rarely use the warmer tones (aside from the middle shade of the bottom 3) because they don't compliment my skin tone. I still think this is a great palette overall though and would recommend a try.

on 3/4/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a really long time to buy this palette. I love it. I find it to be very smooth and blendable, with the exception of the shade Saleos. It's the 4th color on the bottom, left to right. That one is very "grabby" the edges are almost impossible to blend out so I find I just don't use it. I love the others, with Lazarus being my most used as a transition color. I feel that other than the middle quad, the palette does run warm leaning neutral. I have also had some irritation in the past with KVD's shadows but that is not an issue here. I use this palette daily.

on 3/2/2017 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Okay ladies, only an 88% for this dynamite palette. I.Am.Disappointed.

Smh.

This palette consists of 12 luxurious eyeshadows in a range of neutral, cool and warm tones with each tone grouped into a quad for an easy look. Each quad includes a base, crease, definition and highlight color for an easy and cohesive looks, like what is pictured in the pamphlet that comes with the palette. Or create whatever look you want, do YOU baby girl!

Let's start by covering the bases!

L is lovely Ludwin, the neutral base offering. After primer and maybe a little concealer, I generously pat ludwin from my lash line to right above my crease. The yellow toned shadow feels creamy to the touch and has a tendency to kick up product so don't forget to give your brush a little 'tap tap tappy'. You should know that all the colors are prone to this. If this is a deal breaker for you, then GOOD. That leaves more of these babies on the store shelves for those that love it!

L (again?) is for little, lonely Lazarus, the second base shade and part of the cool quad. This poor thing. This palette has been in my stash for more than a year and I have NEVER used it. Cool tones on their own clash with my Asian Indian NC40 skin. The only way to make cool colors work for me is to pair it with something warm. This is possible with this palette but I've never attempted it. I'm lazy, so shoot me.

L (Kat must like the letter L) is for layering because the warmth of Laetus, the warm base, makes it a fantastic transition color for almost any look. The peachy, orange color brings warmth (duh) and a soft, pretty depth to my eyes. The soft texture of these shadows helps Laetus shine as a transition shade. Many of even my most stubborn shadows blend out easily if Laetus is layered underneath.

Now I welcome you to Summarizing 101!!

I do not use the cool quad. I don't know, I just don't prefer the shades offered. If I can't find my MAC Black Tied eyeshadow, I may just use Shax, the black definition shade. Honestly, if you have the MAC Cool Neutrals x15, you're the proud owner of one of the best batches of Black Tied that MAC has ever released. Nothing will compare. I don't doubt that there's better black eye shadows on the market. Both Lazarus and Liberatus, the crease shade, are still untouched. If and when I might reach for a gray eyeshadow, hands down it'll be MAC Copperplate. Nothing compares to it. However, I have found something special in Saleos, the intensely white highlight shade. Unlike the neutral and warm highlights, Saleos is a bright, clean matte white. My basic eye prep routine is the neutral base Ludwin from lash line to crease and Saleos from brow bone to crease, which I'll pat lightly to blend. This opens up my eyes and sets me up for any eye look.

Latinus is the neutral crease color but it oddly runs cool on me. It's like my skin tone makes the color appear not true to pan. Poorly explained, I know, so take from that what you will. Sytry, the definer shade suffers from this same color adapting situation. I much prefer the warm definer shade if I can even be bothered to use any of the darker shades. Most days I just blend Laetus and Latinus into my crease and maybe Succubus, the neutral ivory highlight. The sheen of both Succubus and the warm highlight is subtle, no frost here. I should mentioned that the three highlights are VERY soft. Easily the softest of the bunch and they kick up product something fierce and you WILL have fallout unless you either tap your brush before application or barely touch your brush to the pan. Unfortunately the shimmer highlights are very pretty but primers like the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion and the equally popular Too Faced Shadow Insurance couldn't help these shades last. After just one or two hours, you would think I had never even applied it. What a shame.

Now if you haven't already jumped on the Modern Renaissance bandwagon and learned to love the warm oranges, reds and pinks that are currently trending, I BEG you to not be afraid of the rich red crease shade named Lucius. A little bit of Lucius on a fluffy blending brush will give you another warm transition. I use Lucius to make the neutral crease and definer colors work. Applied as a transition, Sytry morphs into a very pretty purple-y mauve. Building it up and blowing out the crease, with the rich brown Solas packed on the lid, makes an sultry smokey eye. These two also come together to make a very unique cut crease. Samuel, the warm highlight, is a buttery gold color. Again, the sheen is not over the top but regrettably, it too suffers from the same shortcomings as the neutral highlight.

I am by no means a casual makeup enthusiast. The core of just my beloved eyeshadow collection are my three MAC 15 pan palettes, two that were personally curated by me. I use this palette every single day. Its a cosmetic workhorse and a staple in stash. I would absolutely repurchase if I was ever without it. The people at KVD created a masterpiece and I would highly recommend as a gift for the cosmetically inclined both young and old.

continued >>

on 12/10/2016 9:40:00 PM

I held off on purchasing this for awhile. It wasn't until I bought Visearts Paris Nudes palette did I know I needed a good matte palette. I have just recently finally started using mattes so I do not have a lot. Especially neutrals because I love colour but these shadows go so well with the Viseart one I'm just loving the look of mattes together with some shimmer. This palette is great because I can do full looks with it or use it with other palettes which, is what I like to do. About me NW20 or below, blonde hair, green eyes, and very cool undertones for reference. I like how this has the quads of neutral, cool, and warm. To me the neutral and cool shades are my most used. Especially laetus, Samuel, and lazarus which is my favorite shade in the palette.

Lazarus is a fantastic shade for contouring my crease. Being fair these shades all work well nothing too stark or muddy. I don't know why I waited to get this?!? Truley a superb set of shadows that are very silky and easy to apply. I do find they kick up a little powder but it's certainly not a deal breaker and I think it's because the shadows are so soft and buttery. Even though this palette has some warm shades and me being cool toned has not been a problem this is a really well made product. I hope KVD makes a more cooler toned one that I would buy as well. But I am very happy with this and I love using it with Visearts Paris Nudes. It really can go with anything or on its own it's a stellar palette! Recommended.

on 12/10/2016 3:22:00 PM

This was the first "high end" eyeshadow palette I ever got my hands on. I was so used to playing with drugstore eyeshadows, and I friend gifted this to me. If you are looking for a matte palette, go with this one. It's so versatile: I use the banana shade, "Ludwin" to set/brighten my under eyes with a very light hand, and the grey shade , "Lazarus" to carve out my cheekbones. I was a beginner with makeup when I started to use this makeup, they are buttery and so so so blendable. The palette is broken up into 3 groups and a tutorial actually comes with the palette, which makes it fool proof.
I pair this with the Kat Von D tattoo liner in trooper, or you can wet your brush and use any of the darker or "defining" shades as a liner.
My favourite shade is Lucious.
If you want to buy one higher end matte palette, this should be your top contender. You can use it everyday, work or play. The colours are pigmented and buttery.
You won't regret it.

on 11/23/2016 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I absolutely love nude/neutral colours so this was definitely a must have. I am still getting used to applying it according to the instructions but i am slowly getting better. Amazing colour selection, beautiful classy packaging. A must have for 'eye contour' fans.