Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 4/4/2017 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I think I would buy this again when I finish my first palette. I love the texture and blendability of these shadows, I like the diverse 'tones', especially since cool nudes are hard to find. I would give this a 4.5 since for many people not ALL the shade stories will work, but it is still a great product. For me, for example, I rarely use the warmer tones (aside from the middle shade of the bottom 3) because they don't compliment my skin tone. I still think this is a great palette overall though and would recommend a try.

on 3/4/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a really long time to buy this palette. I love it. I find it to be very smooth and blendable, with the exception of the shade Saleos. It's the 4th color on the bottom, left to right. That one is very "grabby" the edges are almost impossible to blend out so I find I just don't use it. I love the others, with Lazarus being my most used as a transition color. I feel that other than the middle quad, the palette does run warm leaning neutral. I have also had some irritation in the past with KVD's shadows but that is not an issue here. I use this palette daily.

on 3/2/2017 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Okay ladies, only an 88% for this dynamite palette. I.Am.Disappointed.

Smh.

This palette consists of 12 luxurious eyeshadows in a range of neutral, cool and warm tones with each tone grouped into a quad for an easy look. Each quad includes a base, crease, definition and highlight color for an easy and cohesive looks, like what is pictured in the pamphlet that comes with the palette. Or create whatever look you want, do YOU baby girl!

Let's start by covering the bases!

L is lovely Ludwin, the neutral base offering. After primer and maybe a little concealer, I generously pat ludwin from my lash line to right above my crease. The yellow toned shadow feels creamy to the touch and has a tendency to kick up product so don't forget to give your brush a little 'tap tap tappy'. You should know that all the colors are prone to this. If this is a deal breaker for you, then GOOD. That leaves more of these babies on the store shelves for those that love it!

L (again?) is for little, lonely Lazarus, the second base shade and part of the cool quad. This poor thing. This palette has been in my stash for more than a year and I have NEVER used it. Cool tones on their own clash with my Asian Indian NC40 skin. The only way to make cool colors work for me is to pair it with something warm. This is possible with this palette but I've never attempted it. I'm lazy, so shoot me.

L (Kat must like the letter L) is for layering because the warmth of Laetus, the warm base, makes it a fantastic transition color for almost any look. The peachy, orange color brings warmth (duh) and a soft, pretty depth to my eyes. The soft texture of these shadows helps Laetus shine as a transition shade. Many of even my most stubborn shadows blend out easily if Laetus is layered underneath.

Now I welcome you to Summarizing 101!!

I do not use the cool quad. I don't know, I just don't prefer the shades offered. If I can't find my MAC Black Tied eyeshadow, I may just use Shax, the black definition shade. Honestly, if you have the MAC Cool Neutrals x15, you're the proud owner of one of the best batches of Black Tied that MAC has ever released. Nothing will compare. I don't doubt that there's better black eye shadows on the market. Both Lazarus and Liberatus, the crease shade, are still untouched. If and when I might reach for a gray eyeshadow, hands down it'll be MAC Copperplate. Nothing compares to it. However, I have found something special in Saleos, the intensely white highlight shade. Unlike the neutral and warm highlights, Saleos is a bright, clean matte white. My basic eye prep routine is the neutral base Ludwin from lash line to crease and Saleos from brow bone to crease, which I'll pat lightly to blend. This opens up my eyes and sets me up for any eye look.

Latinus is the neutral crease color but it oddly runs cool on me. It's like my skin tone makes the color appear not true to pan. Poorly explained, I know, so take from that what you will. Sytry, the definer shade suffers from this same color adapting situation. I much prefer the warm definer shade if I can even be bothered to use any of the darker shades. Most days I just blend Laetus and Latinus into my crease and maybe Succubus, the neutral ivory highlight. The sheen of both Succubus and the warm highlight is subtle, no frost here. I should mentioned that the three highlights are VERY soft. Easily the softest of the bunch and they kick up product something fierce and you WILL have fallout unless you either tap your brush before application or barely touch your brush to the pan. Unfortunately the shimmer highlights are very pretty but primers like the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion and the equally popular Too Faced Shadow Insurance couldn't help these shades last. After just one or two hours, you would think I had never even applied it. What a shame.

Now if you haven't already jumped on the Modern Renaissance bandwagon and learned to love the warm oranges, reds and pinks that are currently trending, I BEG you to not be afraid of the rich red crease shade named Lucius. A little bit of Lucius on a fluffy blending brush will give you another warm transition. I use Lucius to make the neutral crease and definer colors work. Applied as a transition, Sytry morphs into a very pretty purple-y mauve. Building it up and blowing out the crease, with the rich brown Solas packed on the lid, makes an sultry smokey eye. These two also come together to make a very unique cut crease. Samuel, the warm highlight, is a buttery gold color. Again, the sheen is not over the top but regrettably, it too suffers from the same shortcomings as the neutral highlight.

I am by no means a casual makeup enthusiast. The core of just my beloved eyeshadow collection are my three MAC 15 pan palettes, two that were personally curated by me. I use this palette every single day. Its a cosmetic workhorse and a staple in stash. I would absolutely repurchase if I was ever without it. The people at KVD created a masterpiece and I would highly recommend as a gift for the cosmetically inclined both young and old.

continued >>

on 12/10/2016 9:40:00 PM

I held off on purchasing this for awhile. It wasn't until I bought Visearts Paris Nudes palette did I know I needed a good matte palette. I have just recently finally started using mattes so I do not have a lot. Especially neutrals because I love colour but these shadows go so well with the Viseart one I'm just loving the look of mattes together with some shimmer. This palette is great because I can do full looks with it or use it with other palettes which, is what I like to do. About me NW20 or below, blonde hair, green eyes, and very cool undertones for reference. I like how this has the quads of neutral, cool, and warm. To me the neutral and cool shades are my most used. Especially laetus, Samuel, and lazarus which is my favorite shade in the palette.

Lazarus is a fantastic shade for contouring my crease. Being fair these shades all work well nothing too stark or muddy. I don't know why I waited to get this?!? Truley a superb set of shadows that are very silky and easy to apply. I do find they kick up a little powder but it's certainly not a deal breaker and I think it's because the shadows are so soft and buttery. Even though this palette has some warm shades and me being cool toned has not been a problem this is a really well made product. I hope KVD makes a more cooler toned one that I would buy as well. But I am very happy with this and I love using it with Visearts Paris Nudes. It really can go with anything or on its own it's a stellar palette! Recommended.

on 12/10/2016 3:22:00 PM

This was the first "high end" eyeshadow palette I ever got my hands on. I was so used to playing with drugstore eyeshadows, and I friend gifted this to me. If you are looking for a matte palette, go with this one. It's so versatile: I use the banana shade, "Ludwin" to set/brighten my under eyes with a very light hand, and the grey shade , "Lazarus" to carve out my cheekbones. I was a beginner with makeup when I started to use this makeup, they are buttery and so so so blendable. The palette is broken up into 3 groups and a tutorial actually comes with the palette, which makes it fool proof.
I pair this with the Kat Von D tattoo liner in trooper, or you can wet your brush and use any of the darker or "defining" shades as a liner.
My favourite shade is Lucious.
If you want to buy one higher end matte palette, this should be your top contender. You can use it everyday, work or play. The colours are pigmented and buttery.
You won't regret it.

on 11/23/2016 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I absolutely love nude/neutral colours so this was definitely a must have. I am still getting used to applying it according to the instructions but i am slowly getting better. Amazing colour selection, beautiful classy packaging. A must have for 'eye contour' fans.

on 11/15/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had a drawer full of shimmer & metallic eyeshadows that went mostly unused for a long while because I had very few mattes for crease/transition shades to use along with them. I decided to do something about it and buy this all-matte palette. Am I ever glad I did, holy moly.

The shades are put into 3 quads - neutral, cool, and warm - each containing 1 base shade, 1 contour, 1 define, and 1 highlight shade. The shades are very versatile, so now I can use pretty much every single shimmer shadow I own. Problem solved! I also find that you can mix and match from each quad without the colours clashing.
One thing I absolutely LOVE is that they actually used a much larger pan for the base colours! So there will be no hitting pan on those shades first while all the other shades are mostly full. I hate when that happens, so I am very pleased about this!
The formula is very blendable and I did not notice any kick-up or fallout. Super long-wearing with my usual primers. Pigmentation is most definitely there. It's weird because it shows up so intensely on my lid even though the swatches on my inner arm looked average. I was super surprised by how fantastic the pigment is on the lid.

The packaging is gorgeous and the mirror is perfect. I can see my whole face in it at a comfortable distance. Stays closed nice and securely. Feels sturdy, like I wouldn't be afraid to travel with it. Seriously though, it's so beautiful and looks awesome on my vanity.

Price is on par with most other palettes I own. A small investment but well worth it. I'm gonna get so much use out of this. If i could give it 10 lippies I would!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

~squee~
yes i really did that.

this eye palette is amazing. it's purely matte, so if you're looking for something that doesn't shimmer and shine, this is for you. you can do a neutral day eye, or a bold smokey eye with this with hardly any effort at all. the colors are rich and pigmented and blend easily. i find that even though it looks pretty basic, i have created a lot of different looks with it!

on 9/28/2016 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Okay... The packaging got me to buy it, however, these colors y'all!!! They are gorgeous, but you need to be kind and gentle or else it can get very dramatic very quickly. Such amazing shadows, easy to blend, SICK PIGMENTATION... Just an overall awesome palette if you're like me and don't want any shimmer or any colors in your everyday makeup routine. Everyone will find something they like in this palette, and I've definitely found my favorites in lazarus in the crease, laetus on the lid samael in the crease and outer v, and sytry to smoke it all out! Would definitely buy only these colour again, since they are the most used in the palette.

If you are thinking about it: BUY IT!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this palette. Some of the best matte shades I've ever used - though I find Lorac's to have a slight better pigmentation. These blend and wear beautifully and it is a great shade range. I was initially scared of how warm the right third of the palette looked, but it still looks okay on my neutral-cool skintone. I also appreciate how Kat put some thought into making some of the shades bigger - the warm vanilla shade can be used all over the browbone, and the other two are great crease and lower lashline shades. Every shade in this palette is a winner, and this combined with usually one metallic shade for my lid is everything I need when traveling as far as eyeshadow goes. If you want to build your palette collection, this and a few Lorac palettes will get you set to go! :)