Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have nothing but good things to say about this palette. Love that it's organized into three sections: Warm, neutral, cool. Easy to create many looks. You can do natural to dramatic. Shadows pigmented and easy to blend. Love it.

on 12/9/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I returned mine. After hoping that I'd use all the wonderful matte browns in it, I found that only "my" region (warm) worked on me, and that I would rather save the room and cardboard by purchasing four mattes in "my" shades. YMMV.

on 11/15/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had a drawer full of shimmer & metallic eyeshadows that went mostly unused for a long while because I had very few mattes for crease/transition shades to use along with them. I decided to do something about it and buy this all-matte palette. Am I ever glad I did, holy moly.

The shades are put into 3 quads - neutral, cool, and warm - each containing 1 base shade, 1 contour, 1 define, and 1 highlight shade. The shades are very versatile, so now I can use pretty much every single shimmer shadow I own. Problem solved! I also find that you can mix and match from each quad without the colours clashing.
One thing I absolutely LOVE is that they actually used a much larger pan for the base colours! So there will be no hitting pan on those shades first while all the other shades are mostly full. I hate when that happens, so I am very pleased about this!
The formula is very blendable and I did not notice any kick-up or fallout. Super long-wearing with my usual primers. Pigmentation is most definitely there. It's weird because it shows up so intensely on my lid even though the swatches on my inner arm looked average. I was super surprised by how fantastic the pigment is on the lid.

The packaging is gorgeous and the mirror is perfect. I can see my whole face in it at a comfortable distance. Stays closed nice and securely. Feels sturdy, like I wouldn't be afraid to travel with it. Seriously though, it's so beautiful and looks awesome on my vanity.

Price is on par with most other palettes I own. A small investment but well worth it. I'm gonna get so much use out of this. If i could give it 10 lippies I would!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use the palette every day. If you're at the point where you're developing fine lines and other problems that just come with age (mine are very minor, slight cross-hatching under my eyes and near my upper lashes when you're really close up) and you just don't want to bring attention to them, matte shadows are for you.

These are very pigmented, and require a light hand. I don't find them particularly difficult to blend, even when my UD eye primer on. They last all day, even without primer.

There will be fallout. It makes no difference to me, as I have always done my eyes before applying my foundation to the face. Why? Because then fallout is irrelevant to my life. But in fairness, I took off half a lippy for the fallout factor. I do not find them to be 'chalky'. I've had my fair share of crappy, chalky drug-store products and this is NOT chalky.

I took off an additional half-lippy because two of the browns to swatch very similarly once on the eye, and that's a shame bc they did so well otherwise. I've been able to create one five-minute everyday look, and after playing around a bit, I can put together 4 to 5 obviously different looks and probably another 2 that start to overlap. Keep in mind, this is a neutral palette, and I am not a makeup guru, so I would consider that a pretty good selection of looks. If it matters, since I got this palette my husband has commented on how he can't figure what I'm doing differently, but how nice my eyes look. I also consider this a win for this palette.

My daughter also has this, and she likes it as a neutral palette, though she finds it more limiting than I do. She still uses it as a shape and contour most days, and fills in her 'look' with some more colourful/shimmery palettes.

So it functions really well as both a primary palette (me) or a contour palette (her).

on 9/11/2016 10:02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a pallet so much! I have never tried at KvD product, I usually stick to MAC or UD for shadows. I purchased this because I am in my mid 40's and matte looks better on my crepe lids.

These shadows are so soft, they are chalky and they are a mess when blending. Staying power is fine, but with a primer I never have a problem with staying power.

The color selection is OK, but once you look at it at home every day you realize you dont need so many neutrals in similar shades.

In the year I have had this palette I have used it probably 8 times. I keep trying to find something to do with it but it just isn't a pleasure to put on my makeup with this palette and makeup should be fun.

on 8/10/2016 8:26:00 AM

I *adore* this eye shadow palette!!! The colors are rich and creamy and very pigmented. They are all wonderful, wearable, buttery, matte shades and you can create a number of eye looks from this. And it's such a versatile palette! I love the darker shades - black, chocolate brown, etc. - I use these with a flat bristle brush to softly line my eye. I push the color close to the lash line and it is great for an older woman like myself. I find a liquid liner or pencil can look too harsh. And the top middle shade works great for filling in my brows in a pinch. It's a very cool taupe-ey shade with no red in it and that goes great with my coloring. A superb palette and the first Kat Von D product I have owned. However, loving this as much as I do, makes me want to try more from her line!!

on 5/5/2016 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

All the shadows in this palette are very pigmented - make no mistake about that. They, however, are also very buttery smooth and easy to blend and matte making it perfect palette for hooded eyes. i love it. repurchasing it for sure.

I have hooded eyes and am at that age where sparkle and glitter look ridiculous. I read the hype and was hesitant to purchase thinking this is the new "it" palette of the moment. But I am sure glad I bought this. The palette is heaven in a box--especially for mature, uber sensitive eyes. I LOVE the quality and buttery softness of the eye shadows. They are highly pigmented, blend like a dream and wear well. Because the shades are warm and cool, you can subtly call attention to what you want to by understanding what temperature and tone mean in color. I also use the neutral light butter shade to set my concealer. Other colors in the palette can be used on the brows, etc. This is one versatile, high quality palette. If you can only own one matte eyeshadow palette, I highly recommend this one. Well done Kat Von D!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(with full apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

I don't know where to start. I can't even. I mean ... it's just ... "Where have you been all my life?!"

I'm not the best blendy-type-person. I'm just not. There are many blending virtuosi amongst us, but I'm not one of that group. I wouldn't even pass the entrance exam.

But even I can blend like a pro with this palette (and a decent brush because that can be a game changer, let's not deny it). I'm blown away. I'm a little hesitant about buying cult favorites, because sometimes I've just not that impressed. I've even thought "meh" about much adored brands and products. This one though? Totally bought into the hype. Bought the product. Tested the product. 10 minutes later ran screaming through the house to impart upon my long-suffering husband that I had found my HG of eyeshadows.

I have to use a very light touch (see, I do read a lot of stuff here - I'm learning!) and yes, it does kick up just a wee bit of powder but holy pigmentation Batman I can finish my eyes in - literally! - 10 minutes.

Love it. Just love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this pallet! This is my first Kat item! I own one other pallet by Urban Decay. While I love that pallet, this is my new favorite! The eye design sheet included is wonderful! I have returned to wearing makeup every day because of this pallet!
While a bit pricy, the color pay off is amazing. A very little g ones a long way!
Definitely worth the $$$&.