Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.3

on 3/2/2017 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Okay ladies, only an 88% for this dynamite palette. I.Am.Disappointed.

Smh.

This palette consists of 12 luxurious eyeshadows in a range of neutral, cool and warm tones with each tone grouped into a quad for an easy look. Each quad includes a base, crease, definition and highlight color for an easy and cohesive looks, like what is pictured in the pamphlet that comes with the palette. Or create whatever look you want, do YOU baby girl!

Let's start by covering the bases!

L is lovely Ludwin, the neutral base offering. After primer and maybe a little concealer, I generously pat ludwin from my lash line to right above my crease. The yellow toned shadow feels creamy to the touch and has a tendency to kick up product so don't forget to give your brush a little 'tap tap tappy'. You should know that all the colors are prone to this. If this is a deal breaker for you, then GOOD. That leaves more of these babies on the store shelves for those that love it!

L (again?) is for little, lonely Lazarus, the second base shade and part of the cool quad. This poor thing. This palette has been in my stash for more than a year and I have NEVER used it. Cool tones on their own clash with my Asian Indian NC40 skin. The only way to make cool colors work for me is to pair it with something warm. This is possible with this palette but I've never attempted it. I'm lazy, so shoot me.

L (Kat must like the letter L) is for layering because the warmth of Laetus, the warm base, makes it a fantastic transition color for almost any look. The peachy, orange color brings warmth (duh) and a soft, pretty depth to my eyes. The soft texture of these shadows helps Laetus shine as a transition shade. Many of even my most stubborn shadows blend out easily if Laetus is layered underneath.

Now I welcome you to Summarizing 101!!

I do not use the cool quad. I don't know, I just don't prefer the shades offered. If I can't find my MAC Black Tied eyeshadow, I may just use Shax, the black definition shade. Honestly, if you have the MAC Cool Neutrals x15, you're the proud owner of one of the best batches of Black Tied that MAC has ever released. Nothing will compare. I don't doubt that there's better black eye shadows on the market. Both Lazarus and Liberatus, the crease shade, are still untouched. If and when I might reach for a gray eyeshadow, hands down it'll be MAC Copperplate. Nothing compares to it. However, I have found something special in Saleos, the intensely white highlight shade. Unlike the neutral and warm highlights, Saleos is a bright, clean matte white. My basic eye prep routine is the neutral base Ludwin from lash line to crease and Saleos from brow bone to crease, which I'll pat lightly to blend. This opens up my eyes and sets me up for any eye look.

Latinus is the neutral crease color but it oddly runs cool on me. It's like my skin tone makes the color appear not true to pan. Poorly explained, I know, so take from that what you will. Sytry, the definer shade suffers from this same color adapting situation. I much prefer the warm definer shade if I can even be bothered to use any of the darker shades. Most days I just blend Laetus and Latinus into my crease and maybe Succubus, the neutral ivory highlight. The sheen of both Succubus and the warm highlight is subtle, no frost here. I should mentioned that the three highlights are VERY soft. Easily the softest of the bunch and they kick up product something fierce and you WILL have fallout unless you either tap your brush before application or barely touch your brush to the pan. Unfortunately the shimmer highlights are very pretty but primers like the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion and the equally popular Too Faced Shadow Insurance couldn't help these shades last. After just one or two hours, you would think I had never even applied it. What a shame.

Now if you haven't already jumped on the Modern Renaissance bandwagon and learned to love the warm oranges, reds and pinks that are currently trending, I BEG you to not be afraid of the rich red crease shade named Lucius. A little bit of Lucius on a fluffy blending brush will give you another warm transition. I use Lucius to make the neutral crease and definer colors work. Applied as a transition, Sytry morphs into a very pretty purple-y mauve. Building it up and blowing out the crease, with the rich brown Solas packed on the lid, makes an sultry smokey eye. These two also come together to make a very unique cut crease. Samuel, the warm highlight, is a buttery gold color. Again, the sheen is not over the top but regrettably, it too suffers from the same shortcomings as the neutral highlight.

I am by no means a casual makeup enthusiast. The core of just my beloved eyeshadow collection are my three MAC 15 pan palettes, two that were personally curated by me. I use this palette every single day. Its a cosmetic workhorse and a staple in stash. I would absolutely repurchase if I was ever without it. The people at KVD created a masterpiece and I would highly recommend as a gift for the cosmetically inclined both young and old.

continued >>

on 7/23/2016 10:50:00 PM

I'm in the minority here...seriously do not like this palette. The colors look really great in the palette, but on the shadows are very chalky. I love Kat Von D products, but disappointed in this.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I always care most about lid color in comparison to the contour color.

This is a lighter lid color which creates a great contour color This palette is perfect. The shadows are pigmented & creamy for powder shadows. Colors are great, it blends easily and you can add other products, and I will definitely repurchase.

I honestly love this palette! The colours are just stunning, it's my go to product without a doubt.
My only complaint is that I don't believe it is as pigmented as people say it is, I cannot use it without primer, but then it could have been a bad batch so I won't hold that against it!
This was bought for me as a birthday gift and I will definitely re-purchase once I've run out!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have purchased numerous palettes from numerous brands in my past adult lifetime BUT i must admit that THIS is the HG of them all!!! I do like my UD Naked Palettes for more party wear or if I want to add more colour and sparkle, but I do love this KVD Palette for everyday and low maintenance looks whilst looking sophisticated and natural as it is matte.
I especially love the fact that these are so buttery soft like cream and they last long as the UD eyeshadows without creasing. They blend well (no fuss at all) and the icing on the cake is that it comes with an instructions leaflet on how to use them!!! Did i mention that it also has a HUGE mirror? LOVE!
I am in TOTAL LOVE with this palette!

Effectiveness: 8/10 I do like the colors except they don't particular match my HG and favourites. This is probably a skin tone issue but I do like the product

Price: Pretty pricey for a palette

I may or may not repurchase. I probably will in the future. Honestly a lot depends how tan I am and what season it is when I am applying the product.

on 11/11/2015 6:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

See review below: I basically needed to play with this. It needs some time to understand. It is dusty and can be powerfully out of control. I have changed my mind and find myself borrowing colors from this pallet to supplement other looks.

Oh my goodness....I can't believe what I am about to say. I DO NOT, CAN NOT recommend this pallet. First, the fall out and the mess it makes on your face, clothes and whatever surface you are using to put your stuff on is UNREAL. Second, I was really convinced I was going to be able to make several even just simple eye looks and they were just so boring. Lastly, as a cool toned person I really could only use about half the shades. I'm disappointed. Please consider checking this out in person instead of ordering it based on reviews. For the money, I recommend the Lorac pro 2 if you want matte cool tones.

P.S. The black in this pallet is gray.

on 10/11/2015 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Beautiful versatile matte palette! I love that there is a neutral, cool and warm 'set' within the palette but the shadows all can be used however you want. The texture is a bit soft as in they kick up dust very easily but they are quite pigmented! You learn very quickly to gently tap on the shadow as to not make a mess but the colour payoff makes the palette worth the effort. If I could make one critique colour wise, it would be to add a really dark espresso brown, as the 2 darkest browns in the palette are not all that dark. Other than that, the shadows are a great variety of shades from ivory to black. Inside the box is also a picture guide as to how you might use each 'set' of shades.
Packaging is sturdy cardboard. I tend to keep these types of palettes in their original boxes to keep them from getting banged up too quickly (but I'll probably ditch that when it becomes a pain...).

All in all, a very useful palette to have on hand. This is my first Kat Von D palette and I am pretty sure it won't be my last. The only question is, InnerStellar or Monarch next??

on 9/29/2015 9:50:00 PM

I'm not a huge matte person but I love brownish colors on my blue eyes/fair skin/blonde hair. After reading all the amazing reviews on this I caved. I own the contour palette and I'm very impressed with how easy it is to use so I figured why not. I'm so happy I did. I also bought the brush which would have been cool if it came with it, but the quality is amazing. Kat Von D is absolutely nailing the make up nail on the head. These colors are easy to blend which is good for even beginners.

on 7/18/2015 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this a few months ago and loved it so much I got a back up yes its pern but when i love something, my ocd kicks in.

colors are perfectly balanced for me
pigmentation is better than many HE similar products
staying power is incredible
I love the mix of colors

this is a winner for me and highly reccommend