Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.4

on 5/31/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

So, I recently went through a massive purge in an effort to embrace minimalism in all things, including makeup. This was one of only two palettes to survive and remain in my now modest collection. It is my day to day go-to palette to create the base of almost every eye look I do. The way the quads are arranged makes it a no-brainer to create some shape, from a perfectly natural contour to an ultra smoky look. All the shadows are matte, which is fabulous if you're 'of a certain age' and I tend to use other shadow singles to add some sparkle for date nights etc. These shadows are smooth and sooooo pigmented (I can't say that without hearing MannyMUA in my head) and they work well on all the eyeshadow bases I have tried. The pans are generous and I doubt I'll run out anytime soon, even though I use this almost every day. 100% hate the outside of the otherwise very sturdy packaging though, would have loved it during my 80's romantic Goth phase but it's just not my thing now.

on 4/26/2018 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a good palette for a beginner who is starting to get into eyeshadow. You can experiment with neutral, cool, and warm tones. You have everything you need to create a matte look, natural or dramatic. The shadows are very soft and blend easily. They basically blend themselves. They blend so well they tend to blend farther than you intend them too. I find that when I use more than 4 shades things get muddy real fast. Less is more. I think it is because they are so soft. The only reason I would not repurchase this is because I tend to use the same few shades over and over. I hardly touch the warm quad. It looks brand new on my palette. Instead of purchasing this again I would rather purchase single shades of the ones I use and abuse. I do not regret buying this and KVD is one of my favorite eyeshadow formulas.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I've had this palette for a while and at first I really loved it, but the more I use it, the more I realize that the some of the shadows are kinda chalky and hard to blend out. Some of them go on a little patchy as well. I also don't like that there are a lot of similar shades in the palette- I don't think there needed to be a highlight shade in every quad in the palette. However, there are shades that I really do love in the palette- Lazarus, Saleos, Shax (extremely black), and Succubus. I like that it's all matte.

I'm conflicted as to whether I'd buy this again. As mentioned, I like the unique grey toned shades but I don't feel that there's enough of a variety of different shades. It's really not a bad palette- you have to be careful about which brushes you use, which primer you use (I tried using one of the lighter cream colored shades with the white NYX jumbo pencil and had to remove it because it was so patchy), and some shadows will require more blending than others. Overall, I think it's a good palette if you really like matte and neutral shadows, but I do think there are better formulas on the market.

on 1/10/2018 9:43:00 AM

Definitely would not re-purchase. The brown colors are all too warm for my skin, except the cool quads. The brown color on the cool quad is too dark for my skin. I am someone who have a tendency towards natural looks so to have zero option for it is disappointing.

Another thing is most of the shadows are very powdery aside from the light shades, which are for the browbones and the yellow base color on the warm quad. The light shades I must admit blends well. But the darker shades can't really blend around, it is easier to draw it as shadow liner than to blend it.

This is honestly so disappointing for me because even the brown neutral shades look really red and puffy on my eyes. I would like to see Kat von D produce more blend-able cool toned eyeshadows in the future

on 1/5/2018 4:28:00 AM

I've had this since it came out and I've only hit pan on one shadow. I use this all the time. It's my all time favourite palette.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the palette you need in your collection if you looking for under-tone eyeshadow. The variety of nudes and neutrals could create tens of beautiful day to day eye-looks, as well as dark smokey ones. If you are a makeup collector, this comes in handy when using palettes which lack transition and crease colors. I have a cool tone skin type, and most of the eyeshadow palettes I own are on the warm spectrum, however, when combined with one or two shades off this palette, they give the most flattering balance. The pigmentation is UNREAL. A little goes a very, very, very long way and ensures deep color show off. The fallout does not seem to be the case with this palette either, although the texture is so mildly powdered.
It is a must in everyone`s collection, whether you are thinking of starting wearing makeup or already have tens of palettes.

on 11/25/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I fell in love with this palette the first time I used it. Since then I have used it almost every day and have found ways to use it for any occasion. Firstly, the packaging is beautiful and even comes with suggested steps to create looks, which is particularly helpful for those who are less experienced with makeup. The best part of the packaging has to be the enormous mirror. The palette does not come with a brush, which will only be an issue for some consumers. The shadows themselves are pretty much all I could ask for in a neutral palette. The colors are beautiful, highly pigmented, and easy to blend. They're super soft, although a bit powdery. That can be difficult to overcome for those of us who have become accustomed to palettes where it's harder to pick up the product. Fallout is pretty easily avoided by being gentle when picking up the product on the brush. My only issue with some of the lighter shadows is because I have watery eyes, which can wet wash some of the product away if I don't add a little extra. On the other hand, I've had the product survive sweat, tears, and even come out mostly intact from a shower! The palette is $48 and I absolutely intend to repurchase this whenever I run out!

on 3/11/2017 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette, the shades are very versatile and blends so good. If you are in need of a matte palette this is the palette you are looking for, it has warm, neutral and cool shades. The shades are buttery and very pigmented, you don't need much product.

on 3/4/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a really long time to buy this palette. I love it. I find it to be very smooth and blendable, with the exception of the shade Saleos. It's the 4th color on the bottom, left to right. That one is very "grabby" the edges are almost impossible to blend out so I find I just don't use it. I love the others, with Lazarus being my most used as a transition color. I feel that other than the middle quad, the palette does run warm leaning neutral. I have also had some irritation in the past with KVD's shadows but that is not an issue here. I use this palette daily.

I didn't get to play around with this much as I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to the shadows. Each time I used the palette my eyes would swell up. Returned to sephora and one look at my puffy eyes the cashier didn't even have to ask why. Sad because I really liked the colour selection.