Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't understand the hype around this palette. I found that the shadows don't blend as nicely. A lot of fall out. I don't find myself reaching for this palette a lot. I can only use 4 or 5 colors of the 12 colors. For a makeup artist this one might work, but everyday personal use not really.

I didn't get to play around with this much as I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to the shadows. Each time I used the palette my eyes would swell up. Returned to sephora and one look at my puffy eyes the cashier didn't even have to ask why. Sad because I really liked the colour selection.

on 12/9/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I returned mine. After hoping that I'd use all the wonderful matte browns in it, I found that only "my" region (warm) worked on me, and that I would rather save the room and cardboard by purchasing four mattes in "my" shades. YMMV.

I had high hopes for this. I am at pan with my Viseart and the KVD is cheaper but has most of the colors I needed. Plus I love my KVD contour palette. Sadly - this shadow does not touch the Viseart. It's chalky, fallout sucks and the payload is not that great. Makes me sad. I like the packaging - and the price was right. So I'm returning it and sucking it up to replace my Viseart.

on 9/11/2016 10:02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a pallet so much! I have never tried at KvD product, I usually stick to MAC or UD for shadows. I purchased this because I am in my mid 40's and matte looks better on my crepe lids.

These shadows are so soft, they are chalky and they are a mess when blending. Staying power is fine, but with a primer I never have a problem with staying power.

The color selection is OK, but once you look at it at home every day you realize you dont need so many neutrals in similar shades.

In the year I have had this palette I have used it probably 8 times. I keep trying to find something to do with it but it just isn't a pleasure to put on my makeup with this palette and makeup should be fun.

on 8/16/2016 3:28:00 PM

I didn't like this product nearly as much as I thought I would. I was so excited to get it but it just looked kind of muddy and dull on me (and yes I was using good brushes). I think I was a little underwhelmed since I already have the Naked Basic palette which I primarily used for mattes. I typically love Kat Von D products but this one was a miss for me.

on 7/23/2016 10:50:00 PM

I'm in the minority here...seriously do not like this palette. The colors look really great in the palette, but on the shadows are very chalky. I love Kat Von D products, but disappointed in this.

on 5/7/2016 10:52:00 AM

Ehhhhh. Sorry, but this is not for me. I am not a fan of the color selection. I think it is not for paler people, but that is not why I am rating this low. I think the color selection would be great for medium to medium dark skin. It is good that there is an array of shades warm to cool, but as someone that sits squarely in the neutral territory, the neutral quad is not good for me. It is two dark colors and two very light colors. So it is hard to use for me. Also, the two light colors in the neutral quad are almost identical to me, so that is kind of a waste. So pale people beware. However, you have darker skin, I could see this being a good selection of matte colors.

Anyway, color selection aside, the real issue for me is that these shades are so freaking chalky. I am not a huge matte lover to begin with, but thought this would be a good addition to other shimmery palettes. But they will not blend. I like UD and LORAC mattes, they are a bit softer. These are hard and kick out a lot of powder. I have heard that there are bad batches of this, but frankly, that doesn't do much to make me forgive the formula of my palette. Between this and the different batches of Lolita, I have to wonder what is going on with quality control at Kat Von D. The packaging is gorgeous, but this is a fail.

on 9/7/2016 10:11:00 AM

Fall of 2015 I bought this palette and was so hardcore in love I almost bought a backup. August of 2016 I sold this in a blogsale, and don't really miss it.

This is an awesome palette if you don't have many matte neutrals, or if you really enjoy all matte looks. I tend to prefer a touch of satin or slight shimmer-- at least as an inner corner HL, if not my whole lid. The shade in the far right of this palette-- a peachy nude beige tone-- has a slight satin quality to it. But in all this is a VERY matte palette.

KVD formulation in this palette is HIGH pigment. And I can see this being great if it works for you-- I personally prefer a little less pigmentation-- I prefer my Mac mattes much more.( And my tf and even my UD). Maybe it's bc im so fair skinned? Maybe it is because I am hard on shadows- I can't really say.

On me this just made looks that looked very-- obvious looking. For my taste the point of a matte nude look is to have a look that is a my eye but better-- understood this isn't everyone's goal, and if you want to do nice matte smokey looks this palette is MADE for you!! Not only is it super high pigment, but also there is almost NO FALLOUT. I almost kept the palette for the black shade alone-- I could literally pack this into my lashline and it wouldn't move. It works better than many cakeliners on the market. But I didn't want to keep a big bulky palette for that one shade.

Also the dealbreaker for me was this palette didn't seem to play well with other shadows. I would try to use this palette and then add a shimmer on the lid-- like a lorac or Mac naked lunch. It never looked right. I guess bc these are high pigment-- other shades wouldn't blend out over them as well and it would make my shimmers look dull and a bit muddy.

Pros:
High pigmented
Essential shades anyone could use
Pretty packaging w mirror
No fallout/ minimal fallout
Blackest black ive ever used
Not too pricey/good value for what you get

Cons:
Difficult to blend out/ especially when used with other shadow formulations
You probably can dupe many shades in this palette. Even within the palette-- both dark browns look similar once on eye. And even the oatmeal and white shade look really similar once on the eye. *actually if that oatmeal shade in the neutral quad was a neutral pink (think Mac yogurt) I probably would have kept the palette. It would be more versatile.

on 9/7/2016 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As a woman nearing my 40's with fine lines lids that are starting to show my age this pallet is one that I have a love/hate relationship with. I am a pallet junkie and have to buy every pallet I see as soon as they come out so the fact that this is an 'eye contouring pallet' as opposed to an eye shadow pallet was a unique concept to me.

I am usually heavy handed with my makeup but with this pallet I needed to realize I was contouring my eye to 'lift, balance and define' and after I watched some tutorials to figure it out (as opposed to applying this like eye shadow) I liked it.

I always use a primer with this, lately my favorite has been the Smashbox 24 hour photo finish though previously I was an UD die hard...but I digress!

Pros:

* Rich color
* Matte
* Pigmented
* Blendable

Cons

* Fall out
* Some colors are chalky and look muddy if overlapped

Overall this is a good pallet, it is not my favorite and if I am wanting to contour my eye area I can use my Anastasia pallet to be perfectly honest (the coloring and texture is better/finer).