Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 1/29/2016 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the black tank top of eye shadow palettes. A sexy little multi-tasker - much sexier than a plain white tee - that you can dress up or down, make it rock or go preppy, wear to the board room or to a cook out.

In short, every makeup lover needs this in her/his beauty arsenal. It is my personal HG shadow palette and the only one I own that I would immediately replace if I lost. Or when the day comes that I hit pan on each shadow. Cause this is the only palette that may be an actual possibility.

Why do I feel this way? Let's discuss.

1) Colors like an army of UPS guys for your eyes - just hot, matte, workhorses. There is not a dud in this whole palette. There are the neutral neutrals, the cool neutral and the warm neutrals.
2) Versatility like a real Renaissance man. In addition to use as eye shadow, I now use this palette exclusively for my brow powder (set with clear gel) as well as on occasion as liner (with a dampened sigma E05)
3) Formula like the guy who isn't perfect, but is perfect for you. These are powdery, but there is no fallout on my face. They blend super well and are pigmented. I use eye primer with all shadows as I need my makeup to last 12+ hours. These last that long. Net, works for me!

I got this palette for Christmas and have used everyday since then. I have used it for huge client meetings, lazy Saturdays with my family, and for church. For date night with the hubs and for parent teacher conferences. Alone in house during blizzard - yup - wearing this. Even when I force myself to use others in my collection, I will include a shade or two from this as well - even if only for my brows.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

on 12/11/2015 11:31:00 AM

O.m.g. this, tinted moisturizer and a mascara would be my desert island mu picks...I know, I'd be better off with a kayak, but bear with me.
As an eyeshadow palette, this is probably the crucial one. All matte, yeah, but with so many colors to work with that are uneffuppable, it's ok. Smokey eye? Cut crease? One color? Under eye lining? All flawlessly manageable in multiple colorways without looking over done, perversely glitzy(which is a fine look, if you do it intentionally).

Eyebrows? Anyone, I mean ANYONE, can mix up a color to get a natural look. The peachy shades will correct underage blueness, again, om any skin tone.

Contour? Pick a greige and cut yourself some cheekbones.
Blush? Surprisingly workable.

Get this. You need it

on 8/14/2016 5:04:00 AM

In two words: Holy Grail. This palette is amazing. If you're going to buy just one palette in your life (seriously, get therapy dear...), make it this one.

I bought this palette after all the raving in Youtube and various beauty blogs, and of course, MakeupAlley. :) So far my trusty neutral-eye-go-to-palette has been Bobbi Brown Stonewashed Nudes Matte, which is, like, ages old. Lately I've been feeling it has subtly changed in colour (age, maybe), or my skin has, I don't know. Anyway, I haven't been happy with the results. Hence, I need a new neutral eye staple.

The Shade and Light contour palette has this really nice idea of offering neutral, warm and cool selections, making it very versatile. To my great joy, all three shade groups work fabulously with my neutral-cool ivory skin shade. I was a bit hesitant with the warm group, but it's not at all orange-y, more like soft peach glow with a beautiful rust brown contour shade. So the palette offers fool-proof combinations for all seasons, easy to adjust to other makeup.

And the quality. OMG, the quality. I'm swooning here, folks. They're pigmented, ultra-fine, soft, buttery, blending like a dream. They're true mattes and the colour payoff is terrific. I have a patented way of testing a product's blending ability, I'm calling it Aunt Praxi's Seriously Crappy Brush Test. I have a 1990s remnant, cheap pink eye shadow brush that has abysmal hairs and is weirdly shaped. If I can make a decent contour blending with it and product X, the product is divine. So far the hallowed graduates of the test are MakeUp Store Microshadow, Zoeva palettes, UD singles, MakeUp Geek and now Kat von D.

Also, they stay put. Full sixteen hours, colours unchanged. Only some barely-there moving in the crease after 12 hours. (I do use a primer, though.) Added points for total lack of scent. And the packaging is so cool. The how-to instruction sheet is great. Add in that they're cruelty-free and well, it can't get any better than this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(with full apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

I don't know where to start. I can't even. I mean ... it's just ... "Where have you been all my life?!"

I'm not the best blendy-type-person. I'm just not. There are many blending virtuosi amongst us, but I'm not one of that group. I wouldn't even pass the entrance exam.

But even I can blend like a pro with this palette (and a decent brush because that can be a game changer, let's not deny it). I'm blown away. I'm a little hesitant about buying cult favorites, because sometimes I've just not that impressed. I've even thought "meh" about much adored brands and products. This one though? Totally bought into the hype. Bought the product. Tested the product. 10 minutes later ran screaming through the house to impart upon my long-suffering husband that I had found my HG of eyeshadows.

I have to use a very light touch (see, I do read a lot of stuff here - I'm learning!) and yes, it does kick up just a wee bit of powder but holy pigmentation Batman I can finish my eyes in - literally! - 10 minutes.

Love it. Just love it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I think it's a paradox of choice thing, but once I purchase a palette, I just stare at it and try to figure out what to do with it. I get overwhelmed, I'm never sparked with creativity and I end up getting frustrated and never using them.

Because of those reasons, I adore this palette.

This palette is absolutely fool-proof. I love how it's laid out into clear, easy to use quads. I love that even between the quads, the shades go very well together. I love that they blend together easily because I am still an eyeshadow beginner for all intents and purposes. I have worn this palette in some fashion every day since purchasing it either as my whole look, as an accent, for blending shades or as eyeliner.

I don't think that the shades swatch as well as they actually apply to the eye. I always use a primer (Wet n Wild Fergie) and I do find that these are quite pigmented and easy to work with. I have pretty hooded eyes so having this many matte options are great. I also like that the highlight shades do have a subtle sheen to them. They add the option of layering them with the other shades for some satin shades, to use them as lid shades that pop or for their intended purpose as a highlight.

The packaging is nice, it's sturdy and weighty. It definitely feels substantial in the hand. It has a large mirror and, though it doesn't stand up on it's own, it's completely useable. It may be a bit large to travel with but I still do have my Naked Basics palette for that.

on 9/7/2016 10:11:00 AM

Fall of 2015 I bought this palette and was so hardcore in love I almost bought a backup. August of 2016 I sold this in a blogsale, and don't really miss it.

This is an awesome palette if you don't have many matte neutrals, or if you really enjoy all matte looks. I tend to prefer a touch of satin or slight shimmer-- at least as an inner corner HL, if not my whole lid. The shade in the far right of this palette-- a peachy nude beige tone-- has a slight satin quality to it. But in all this is a VERY matte palette.

KVD formulation in this palette is HIGH pigment. And I can see this being great if it works for you-- I personally prefer a little less pigmentation-- I prefer my Mac mattes much more.( And my tf and even my UD). Maybe it's bc im so fair skinned? Maybe it is because I am hard on shadows- I can't really say.

On me this just made looks that looked very-- obvious looking. For my taste the point of a matte nude look is to have a look that is a my eye but better-- understood this isn't everyone's goal, and if you want to do nice matte smokey looks this palette is MADE for you!! Not only is it super high pigment, but also there is almost NO FALLOUT. I almost kept the palette for the black shade alone-- I could literally pack this into my lashline and it wouldn't move. It works better than many cakeliners on the market. But I didn't want to keep a big bulky palette for that one shade.

Also the dealbreaker for me was this palette didn't seem to play well with other shadows. I would try to use this palette and then add a shimmer on the lid-- like a lorac or Mac naked lunch. It never looked right. I guess bc these are high pigment-- other shades wouldn't blend out over them as well and it would make my shimmers look dull and a bit muddy.

Pros:
High pigmented
Essential shades anyone could use
Pretty packaging w mirror
No fallout/ minimal fallout
Blackest black ive ever used
Not too pricey/good value for what you get

Cons:
Difficult to blend out/ especially when used with other shadow formulations
You probably can dupe many shades in this palette. Even within the palette-- both dark browns look similar once on eye. And even the oatmeal and white shade look really similar once on the eye. *actually if that oatmeal shade in the neutral quad was a neutral pink (think Mac yogurt) I probably would have kept the palette. It would be more versatile.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I never, ever thought I would buy an all matte palette. Although I'm way past that "magical" (or arbitrary) age where it's decreed that we should no longer wear shimmer, I wear shimmer, sheen, frost and shine all the time - I love it and it actually looks more youthful and brightening than many matte shadows, which can look dull, dry and aging sometimes. I was also iffy about this palette because, like previous reviewer, "Lanayyy", I am cool toned, and like her, I felt one third of the palette looked very warm - too warm for my colouring. But then I saw this in the store and was instantly hooked. Not only are the 2 other "quads" wonderful, but the one I thought would be too warm is not too warm at all. As with the Monarch palette (my only other experience with KvD shadows), the texture of these is so buttery and creamy and they are SO pigmented that you only need the gentlest touch with a brush, especially with the darker shades. I only gave this 4 lippies (I'd give 4.5 if I could) because I can't help feeling that one shimmery shadow in here would be really welcome but I realize I'm splitting hairs. I would still repurchase this in a heartbeat.

on 8/10/2016 8:26:00 AM

I *adore* this eye shadow palette!!! The colors are rich and creamy and very pigmented. They are all wonderful, wearable, buttery, matte shades and you can create a number of eye looks from this. And it's such a versatile palette! I love the darker shades - black, chocolate brown, etc. - I use these with a flat bristle brush to softly line my eye. I push the color close to the lash line and it is great for an older woman like myself. I find a liquid liner or pencil can look too harsh. And the top middle shade works great for filling in my brows in a pinch. It's a very cool taupe-ey shade with no red in it and that goes great with my coloring. A superb palette and the first Kat Von D product I have owned. However, loving this as much as I do, makes me want to try more from her line!!

I have hooded eyes and am at that age where sparkle and glitter look ridiculous. I read the hype and was hesitant to purchase thinking this is the new "it" palette of the moment. But I am sure glad I bought this. The palette is heaven in a box--especially for mature, uber sensitive eyes. I LOVE the quality and buttery softness of the eye shadows. They are highly pigmented, blend like a dream and wear well. Because the shades are warm and cool, you can subtly call attention to what you want to by understanding what temperature and tone mean in color. I also use the neutral light butter shade to set my concealer. Other colors in the palette can be used on the brows, etc. This is one versatile, high quality palette. If you can only own one matte eyeshadow palette, I highly recommend this one. Well done Kat Von D!

on 8/28/2015 10:32:00 AM

This has rapidly become my go-to palette. It's especially great for work or business settings - the shadows look polished and gorgeous, but a nice change from shimmer or too much shine.

There are TWELVE shadows here - this is a fantastic value. It puts each one at $3.83/apiece, and you can't even buy the allegedly better drugstore brands for that.

I do use primer first - and the dark shades in this palette take a light hand - they are very pigmented.

I do think your choice of brushes makes a huge difference here with the reports of "powdery" or "dusty" shadows from other reviews. I use the NARS #40 eye shadow brush to pick up the lighter shades (and it doesn't take much) and then the NARS #44 contour brush for the darker crease/lid shades - that really seems to help. I should have purchased Kat's brush but I'd rather look at it in person, instead of online. . . that will be my next purchase.

I have so far used the left and middle quad the most - but as the weather changes I look for more use of the right-hand one.

This was a great purchase and I would recommend it to anyone.