Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 4/11/2015 12:41:00 PM

I've been using this Shade + Light Eye Palette by Kat Von D for the past few days and so far I'm really impressed! First of all let me mention exactly what kind of palette this is so you know exactly what to expect if you purchase it. It's a palette of basic matte shades (one or two have the teeniest hint of sheen to them) of cream, beige, brown and black. Pretty much along the lines of the Urban Decay Naked Basics palettes, although there are no dupes between the two so if you have those you could definitely invest in this Kat Von D palette and not be disappointed. Some of the shades in the Kat Von D palette are slightly warmer in tone so that makes a nice contrast to the cooler tones also available in the same palette.

Quality wise these are comparable to her other shadows, maybe not quite up to par with the Urban Decay shadows but pretty close. They wear and stay well with a good eyeshadow primer and are relatively easy to blend and get a great, natural look with. The packaging is nice too, maybe a bit dull compared to her Monarch and Chrysalis palettes but understandable due to the type of palette and it's extremely sturdy and has a good mirror. Oh, this also comes with a great application guide!

Overall I'm extremely impressed with this palette and definitely recommend it, especially if you don't have anything similar. It can be a great addition to your makeup collection. LOVE!!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This palette is essential I think in anyone's makeup collection. Even if you're not a collector, It has all the basic matte, neutral shades for blending and transition. I was worried that since I have both UD basic palettes that there would be dupes but the only dupe would be the black and maybe the cream colored shades which I think you can never have enough of since those I use daily. The price of the palette is amazing since you get a lot of product and because it's so smooth and pigmented it'll last you a while, if not years. I love how Kat divided them into different tones quads. You have neutral, cool, and warm. You can mix and match and get use out of all of them. I love it. I totally recommend!

I am in love with this palette. I was coveting the new Hourglass Modernist palette in Infinity, as I was severely lacking in neutral shadows, but this costs over $10 less and has way more colors to choose from, and is every bit as creamy and luxurious to apply. These shadows are ultra-smooth and blendable, and the colors are sorted by warm, neutral, and cool. I can achieve so many different looks with these shadows, from your every day classic eye to a deep smoldering smoky. Am. In. Love.

on 4/23/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

When I saw this at Sephora I immediately thought, "I don't need anymore brown eye shadow." so many you tubers were raving about it that I had to pick it up and check out the fuss and I'm glad I did. This palette has three quads in one. One is cool, one is neutral and other warm. All are shades in the neutral family. The shadows themselves are very creamy in texture but it's the blending that really impressed me. I can't remember ever having eye shadows that blend this easily before and I own (a lot) of high end palettes. Every shade blends beautifully with each other to create a seamless look every time. Kat Von D made 3 shades extra large in size because they will probably be the most used in the palette. That's pretty nice, if you've ever used up one shade long before the others you know how nice it is. The packaging is a sturdy cardboard with a nice size mirror. The design work is pretty but the price is a little high to me, $46 is a little steep but the versatility of the shades makes this an everyday palette. I think most people would really get a lot of use out of this.

on 4/24/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love the texture of these shadows, they are not exaggerating when they call them "velvet" and I also love how pigmented the shades are. Some of the light shades look the same on darker skin so I would definitely suggest a primer. Also there is some fall out from the shadows if you are to rough with them. Full review and swatches here http://www.fancy-francy.com/product-review-kat-von-d-shade-light-eye-contour-palette/

Have any of you tried it yet?

on 5/12/2015 8:28:00 PM

I was a little reluctant to purchase this palette at first, but I am so glad I did.

This palette is so versatile, and the colours are gorgeous. There are 3 quads in total: A warm quad, a cool quad and a neutral quad. You can create a look using one of the three quads or by using the palette as a whole. It also comes with a little guide to show you how to create 3 different looks, which I thought was helpful and a nice touch.

I found the quality of this palette to be very good. By swiping my finger in a colour once and doing a swatch on my arm (no primer), the colour was very pigmented, as if I had gone back and forth on the colour multiple times. In addition, there was also very little fallout, and it blended beautifully!

The first time I used this palette, I used a combo of colours from the entire palette instead of just one quad. The lasting power of these shadows was incredible. After I was done my foundation, I used the e.l.f. eyeshadow primer and then applied my eyeshadow. It was such a hot, humid and muggy day. I definitely was sweating, but my shadows never creased. I applied my makeup around 3:30 p.m. and when I went to wash my face at 12:30 a.m. It still looked flawless!

My only complaint about this product is the packaging. It comes in fairly sturdy cardboard packaging, but I, for one, am just not a fan of this. Eyeshadows are so delicate and can easily be smashed or crumble. I would have way rather have seen this palette come in packaging similar to the Naked Palettes.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I think it's a paradox of choice thing, but once I purchase a palette, I just stare at it and try to figure out what to do with it. I get overwhelmed, I'm never sparked with creativity and I end up getting frustrated and never using them.

Because of those reasons, I adore this palette.

This palette is absolutely fool-proof. I love how it's laid out into clear, easy to use quads. I love that even between the quads, the shades go very well together. I love that they blend together easily because I am still an eyeshadow beginner for all intents and purposes. I have worn this palette in some fashion every day since purchasing it either as my whole look, as an accent, for blending shades or as eyeliner.

I don't think that the shades swatch as well as they actually apply to the eye. I always use a primer (Wet n Wild Fergie) and I do find that these are quite pigmented and easy to work with. I have pretty hooded eyes so having this many matte options are great. I also like that the highlight shades do have a subtle sheen to them. They add the option of layering them with the other shades for some satin shades, to use them as lid shades that pop or for their intended purpose as a highlight.

The packaging is nice, it's sturdy and weighty. It definitely feels substantial in the hand. It has a large mirror and, though it doesn't stand up on it's own, it's completely useable. It may be a bit large to travel with but I still do have my Naked Basics palette for that.

on 6/2/2015 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I went into Sephora just to browse and walked out with this palette on a whim. I felt a bit of buyers remorse on the way home, thinking 'Why the heck did I buy another neutral palette?!' But honestly, I am so glad I did! This has become my daily palette and I am so in love with it. The formula of these shadows are extremely pigmented (even the lightest shades!!), go on smooth, like velvet as another reviewer said, blends effortlessly, have negligible fallout, and have amazing staying power. I recently purchased KVD high voltage primer and the shadows pair wonderfully with it. You can create countless looks and the shadows are already separated into quads ranging from cool, neutral and warm tones. I mostly stick to the cool and neutral as I am very fair and have cool toned skin, but the shades in the warm quad are great for switching up with the other two quads when you get bored. I'm very impressed with this palette, it has exceeded my expectations and definitely squashed all of the buyers remorse I left the store with. My only complaint is the packaging, I don't think this would travel well at all. That being said I would definitely repurchase!

on 6/18/2015 12:02:00 AM

I love this product! I am a huge fan of hers! The only issue is there is a lot of waste when putting my eye shadow brush into it. It's seems to have some fallout. But the eye shadows go on so smooth and you definitely do not need to use much of it. I have her face contour pallette so of course I had to buy this one too!