Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.5

on 7/23/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my go-to neutral matte palette – and I love it. The formula is smooth, shades are super opaque, and all shades blend like a dream. I have never had an issue of similar colors “mudding” together, which is a major plus. I typically use this palette for easy daily looks, but if I want to step it up a notch I simply grab a more glimmer shade and pop it on top – I can take this from day to eve in a snap. While there is some kick-up with these, they apply smooth and I do not find any emphasis in texture. I find it’s a great deal for the price.

on 4/23/2018 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$48.00

I love this palette and will never tire of it. The only thing I would change would be to add a couple of shimmers or even one and use different colors in the center group bt keep the black. I use that center area the least, but I do use the white and black in that one. I really don't mind an all matte look for a soft, everyday look. These shadow are well pigmented, easy to blend. Are few are a little powdery but most mattes are, yes, even Viseart, which "gasp" I think are highly over hyped and not that crazy about. They blend so flawlessly, they almost blend themselves and are so easy to work with and they never look muddy. I don't have the patience or talent to deal with shadows that are hard to blend easily.

This is the only palette I have ever owned that I love every single color and use every single one. I also appreciate the larger sizes in the 3 base colors and that they are not all warm toned. I am really over everything being so warmed tone. I don't want orange, red, dark bronzey eyes ever single day. Even the warm section isn't overly warm, a neutral warm. I will definitely repurchase this the next time Sephora has a sale just in case they discontinue it because I have it pan on some colors. I also love the packaging but I wish the color names were on the pans.

Description from the Sephora website:

What it is:
An eye contouring palette with three color quads in neutral, cool, and warm shades.

What it does:
Transform your eyes through the art of contouring. After tapping into makeup pro secrets, Kat Von D created this first-of-its-kind eyeshadow palette, specially designed for eye contouring—a groundbreaking technique once used only by beauty experts to define and enhance eyes. This palette features a gorgeous, versatile array of true contouring shades, arranged into three color quads—neutral, cool, and warm—to flatter every skin tone.

Three large base shadows are arranged above three coordinating powders for contouring, defining, and highlighting. The palette includes an easy-to-follow contouring guide with step-by-step instructions for creating three different eye-opening techniques. Each velvety powder is blendable and buildable, in Kat Von D’s signature high-pigment, long-wear eyeshadow formula for rich looks that last all day and night.

This palette contains:
- 3 x 0.08 oz/ 2.26 g Base shades in Laetus (creamy nude), Lazarus (cool taupe), Ludwin (peachy bronze)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Contour shades in Samael (dusty fawn), Saleos (smoky brown), Succubus (rich rust)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Define shades in Solas (espresso brown), Shax (jet black), Sytry (chocolate brown)
- 3 x 0.04 oz/ 1.13 g Highlight shades in Lucius (soft beige), Liberatus (pinkish ivory), Latinus (golden bisque)

What else you need to know:
"The true inspiration behind the Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette comes from all these years of trying to understand the usage of shadows and light within the portraits I draw."—Kat Von D

Kat Von D opens your eyes to a once-exclusive world of pro contouring techniques with the step-by-step insert included with the palette. Apply shades with Shade + Light Eye Contour Brush (sold separately), specially designed for use with this palette. She hand-sketched the "Shade + Light Eye" logo that’s featured on the palette cover.

Master three transformative eye-contouring techniques—lift, balance, and define—with the easy-to-follow guide, created and illustrated by Kat Von D: Lift to raise outer corners and accentuate or create a crease. Define to emphasize lash lines and create depth. Balance to draw eyes either closer together or farther apart.

on 3/26/2018 5:02:00 PM

This really is a fabulous palette... A solid 4.7, deserving of a bump up to 5. Being neutral toned, I'm able to mix and match all these shades to work for me.. even if one of the shades meant to be a crease shade might be a little warm overall, I can use one of the cooler browns blended in as a transition shade.. This palette is as dear to me as Tarte's Clay Play Face palette, and I get alot of use of both for shadows, brows, contour, eyes etc.. I was excited to find one at Marshall's for $19, and now I have a backup for my original one I bought at full price several years ago, and will definitely use...this is a basic staple product everyone needs and can use...Definitely recommend.

It took me a while to purchase this palette as I had the Naked 2 basics, Tarte Matte, and the Viseart matte palette. All of the aforementioned are fine, but I had dislikes about each of them. However this one is something special!

The warm quad in this palette isn’t TOO warm, the neutral is neutral, and the cool isn’t TOO cool. Viseart has too many warm colors for my liking. Naked 2 basic colors are great, but the pigmentation wasn’t great. The Tarte matte had decent shades, but the formula falls short for me.

This palette has both great shades and pigmentation. These shadows last a full 12 hour shift for me. Great Great Great for my hooded eyes. I seriously can carve a good looking crease!

Overall this is a great palette. As with everything, I feel the cost is too high but compared to the Viseart it is a fair price for a basic workhorse palette. I only purchase makeup when I can catch a sale. I can’t say I’ve ever seen Kat von d have a sale on her palettes on her website, so the biannual Sephora sale is when I purchased it. With that being said, now that I have tried it I must admit this is one of those items I would pay full retail for and that is a rarity for me to say!

on 10/23/2017 10:56:00 PM

I love this palette by Kat Von D ! I was surprised with the pillowy soft texture of the shadows and loved how well they blended out. "Shade and Light Contour" palette is definitely a winner ! These colors are very pigmented and I love the "highlight" shades that come with each quad. It's very effective. All the colors are !

I love this! I am late to the game on this palette, for sure, but so glad I have it now! I have recently gotten back into makeup (was just using the standard UD nakeds, etc.)- and decided to watch some youtube videos. I saw someone use this palette and knew I must have it!

I tried it the day I got it- I used the cool shades- but honestly, the reason I got it is I can see myself wearing every single shade! It doesn't lean too warm- some of these really warm looks make me look awful (which is why I'm avoiding the ABH Modern Renaissance palette, can't pull off those reds!) I like how it has a bigger pan for the base shades that you would typically use more.

I prepped and primed like I usually do with primer potion, and man, these shadows stayed put- but were easy to blend. They didn't all blend together and look messy and muddy, though, which is another thing I hate. I kept looking at my eye makeup in the mirror, checking, and it was beautiful (if I say so myself, lol) all day!

I am so impressed. Will totally repurchase!

on 11/24/2016 1:23:00 AM

Love love love Kay Von D this pallet has everything you could possibly need so many looks and the pigmentation perfection highly recommend

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I love my new shade and light!... Was so happy when I heard Kat Von D was coming to the UK and Debenhams now stick her range!... I almost paid £64 on Amazon for this to be shipped from America too, thank God I waited. The colours are all so highly pigmented and easily blendable... Beautiful colours too, I will say a lot of the darker shades are VERY dark though... And as I like a brown on my lids, there's just one brown (lower left side - Sameal) that's light enough as I don't like a very dark lid. But the peach and smoke transition shades are beautiful, the whites/creams are very light and just do the job beautifully, and the black can either be used on the outer corner as its very easy to blend, or for a winged effect with a pointy dense pencil brush. I love it! It basically has everything you need in one palette. Also the packaging is gorgeous!! I love the large Gothic inside mirror. Adore this! Will try more of her things now!

on 9/11/2016 10:02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a pallet so much! I have never tried at KvD product, I usually stick to MAC or UD for shadows. I purchased this because I am in my mid 40's and matte looks better on my crepe lids.

These shadows are so soft, they are chalky and they are a mess when blending. Staying power is fine, but with a primer I never have a problem with staying power.

The color selection is OK, but once you look at it at home every day you realize you dont need so many neutrals in similar shades.

In the year I have had this palette I have used it probably 8 times. I keep trying to find something to do with it but it just isn't a pleasure to put on my makeup with this palette and makeup should be fun.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had this on my wishlist seemingly forever. But I do not have an Sephora handy to test this out and any time I was in Sephora over how many years now since I began lemming this, I for some reason always 'forgot' about it, well that and the fact that there were so many other palettes that kept coming out that I wanted to try. Oh, I should have bought this when I first wanted it!! Truly, if you like/do mostly neutral eye looks, this is a great one to try out. I love that it has basically 3 "quads" built in, a "neutral quad," a "cool toned quad" and a "warm toned quad". But of course, you can mix and match any of the shades (the black shade in the very center of the palette makes for a great liner shade, or of course to smudge out an eye look or create a smokey eye or to use to packed over an eyeliner pencil applied to eyes for more lasting power). This formula thankfully for me is friendly to my aging and 'crepey' eyes, not 'dry' or powdery. No weird settling and no creasing. I get a minimum 8 to 10 hours of wear out of these shades, and that is with no primer. They do take a wee bit of blending, but the payoff is worth it. I also do not get any fallout with these, which is another thing that I really appreciate. No eyeshadow dust to clean off my cheek is always a nice thing!! I also get little to no kickup. Just a joy to use.