Diptyque Feu de Bois

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
No Image

4.5

I finally purchased this candle after years of sniffing it in shops!!! And all I can say is "Wow"! Its an absolutely perfect winter fragrance (I definitely wouldn't burn this in summer). As other reviews have said it has the smell of an open burning log fire but it has something extra that I find really hard to describe (sorry thats not helpful I know). Several members of my family (all different age groups) also love the aroma so this would be a great present for all age groups. What I also like about this candle is that it really fills the room with fragrance without being overpowering which is no mean feat. I burned it for two hours the other night and could get a faint smell of it the next morning - seriously impressive! The only downside is the price but I have spent so much on cheaper candles in the past that are nowhere near as good as this that in future I think I will give the cheaper candles a miss and save up for Diptyque!

on 7/26/2004 11:23:00 PM

Wow, I don't know what to really say about this. As soon as I smelled this at the store, I thought "Wow, that smells EXACTLY like my dad". But I didn't say anything and I asked my sister to smell it. She exclaimed, "Wow that smells just like dad". I got a kick out of it. My dad is notorious for loading on this old man cologne that he has. I don't think it's offensive, but I don't think its heavenly either. It is definately masculine though. I might buy this for a guy, but I dont know if I, as a woman, would want to burn this in my home.

What a beautiful, strange candle. Oddly comforting. I don't get the BBQ grill scent from this one. What I DO get is the scent of a fireplace with some sort of balsamic, resinous, evergreen type of wood burning... not a dry, oak wood fire by any means. There is no throat-clutching quality to this one. This is warm and comforting, and when I say it smells like a fireplace, I mean it REALLY smells like a fireplace. The scent lingers for hours after the candle is extinguished. This was a true surprise for me -- a dark horse if there ever was one. A lovely MUA member shared her gently-used Feu de Bois and I was unprepared to like it as much as I did. I think this would be wonderful for people who don't have fireplaces, or when it's simply not cold enough to light a fire in a real fireplace. I've always pooh-poohed all of the Diptyque hype because of a bad room spray experience (blasted my wrist with something fig and was washing for hours trying to get the nasty scent off my skin). Now I'm going to have to re-think my anti-Diptyque stance!

on 12/10/2002 5:26:00 PM

This unusual scented candle may not be to everyone's taste with its authentic evocation of burning firewood. Not only do you get the sweet, leathery and slightly resinous elements from the wood (overall not unlike pipe tobacco) but also the acrid undertone that accompanies burning. If you like that black smell that rises up when you chargrill or barbecue, you may like this, otherwise steer clear. This particular Diptyque candle has a more powerful throw than some, and the intensity of fragrance lasts all the way through the candle. A pleasant change from the usual foodie, floral and fruity candles.

Popular Candles