John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss For Cool Brunettes

No Image

3.8

I had a different result compared to the other reviewers here. To begin, I have colour treated hair (I use box dye and was trying to go from medium ash brown to light ash brown). When I last dyed my hair the end result was a lot of red, especially at my roots. I thought that this might cool down the red roots and overall brassy look of my hair.

I washed and conditioned my hair as instructed then applied a quarter size amount about 5 times. I timed it for 5 minutes (2 more than instructed). Rinsed and end result was as if I had done nothing. No change to my hair except the VERY strong aroma of this product. The scent lasted several hours.

I won't repurchase as I don't think it was formulated for my purpose (to cool down red in my medium brown hair). It's likely made to gloss hair which I don't have a problem with so don't really need a glossing product.

,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-Iamsheherazade-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this to take out the red tint to my hair since I haven't dyed it if or a while. It is easy to use and has a pleasant scent to my nose. It adds great shine to my hair as well. The only thing is that my hair felt a tad dry after getting out the shower. It seemed to soften as the time went by but it was still unexpected for me. It does what it is supposed to do but I have tried better . Overall, it is an affordable drugstore option. It was cheaper to get it at Ulta with my coupon.

on 6/27/2015 9:21:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have dyed brown hair with blonde highlights. I was looking to tone down my highlights so they weren't as bright (prob time to go to salon for a glaze) and also figured the tone this might give my brunette hair was great too. Got the product at target. Great price. I used this last night except I left it on for about 8 mins instead of the 3. I notice a very very subtle change with my highlight color. However, the brown in my hair does seem less golden. I personally wouldn't buy this product again, BUT if I was strictly using it to take the golden out of brunette hair then I would consider it. Be realistic. It's not a dye. Oh--plus side my hair is SUPER soft today. Great packaging. I washed my hands immediately after application a few times and no staining. Not a bad product. Does what is says but don't expect a miracle.

My experience is the same as the previous user, but I will add some comments/application tips for longer hair.

1. It is essential to follow the directions on the box. No shortcuts! Wash and condition before applying exactly as instructed. for longer hair, part into two sections and apply 3 quarter size blobs to each section, mid section to tips.

2. This product will stain your hands. Although you can use wet hands to apply, the product will slide off your hands. To get the best use, use gloves or drying hands. Wash hands immediate after application.

3. The smell of the product is like raspberry vodka. Yes, there is a fair amount of alcohol in this product. I assume it's a solvent for the silicones. It does evaporate after application.

4. Rinse well in shower. Do not rinse in bath as you can't way away all the product in the bath.

5. Blow dry for best results. You will love how shiny your hair is!

6. This is a tinted product, somewhat cool burgundy in tone. The colour helps to neutralize the copper colour that sometimes appears after a month or so after colouring brunette shades. I used this close to a colour refresh and it did help tone down the Orange but did not restore the colour entirely.

on 3/21/2015 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This color gloss is the best. I tried and liked the one for warm reds, but the cool brunette one is so great I thought it deserved its own category. I was coloring my naturally light ash brown hair red for about a year when I decided to go back to brown. Then for some insane reason I decided to lighten it at home and ended up with super light hair, which looked horrible on me. My amazing hairdresser, Tony, got me back to brown, but of course it does fade. I didn't want to color it again. My poor hair has been through so much. Remembering the success I had with the warm red version of this, I decided to give the cool brunette version a try.

To use I shampooed and conditioned my hair. Then I towel dried and applied five quarter size squirts of this throughout my short hair. I set a timer and left it on for ten minutes. I rinsed well and blow dried. The results were amazing. This really toned my hair. It subtly darkened it without altering my base and took away all the brassiness. Just make sure you wash your hands well after applying, because these glosses stain. And don't be weirded out by the strange sticky feeling when you rinse. It doesn't go away while your hair is wet, but once dry your hair feels normal. Also, be realistic. While this gloss is great, it will never replace real hair coloring. It's more of a weekly boost. If you have roots you need to buy a box of color or make an appointment with your hairdresser.