L.A.Tan-Luxury Sunless Mousse Dark

L.A.Tan-Luxury Sunless Mousse Dark

4.3

on 5/19/2017 9:46:00 PM

The small bottle of this was I believe only around five dollars. Perfect size to try out.

I have a medium olive complexion that can turn very sallow with no sun. I actually love tanners with orange undertones for the warmth they bring to my skin. No tanner has ever turned me orange and I know I am in the minority with that. I was sort of disappointed to see the strong green undertones in this and was hoping I would not be just dark and dull without the warm glow.

With most other tanners, I skip gloves and just wash my hands really well with soap after applying. This does stain pretty badly; gloves or a mitt are needed.

I saw that the label suggested applying a few times with showers between applications. That seemed like a lot of work, so I just did one coat. So much brown dye washed down the shower drain that I wondered if there were any left on me. It ended up being the most natural tan I've ever seen come from a bottle.

Aside from the price, the promise of this lasting 2 weeks was of course very attractive. I figured that part was probably just marketing. However, there is a little something still hanging around here a week later. It's certainly no where near as strong as it was, but I don't look totally pale. It fades just like real tan, amazingly. No tell tale splotches.

I think 99% of people would prefer this brown color. I don't love the color so much for me. I put on one of my orangey tans this week and feel much brighter and glowing. I'm giving it 4 stars for longevity and and the fact that most likely, people will love the color. Just a little too dull on my complexion.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great, affordable self tan! I used 2 layers of this stuff the night before an event and man, did my skin glow and my pix looked great. Highly recommend applying with a mitt. Very minimal self tanner smell.... Didn't even notice it in bed

on 5/2/2017 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hands down my new favorite. I've used st. Tropez, st. Moriz, fake bake flawless and most recently fake bake flawless darker, which I stopped using to use this instead. The color builds nicely, it's not orange, and lasts significantly longer. I do not have issues with this mousse fading patchy, either. Will continue to purchase all summer! I don't feel the need to try anything else, this self tanner is perfect for what i need.

For those who have ran into issues, make sure you are prepping your skin properly. Shave NO LESS than 24 hours in advance. Also, as with any self tanner... please don't use your bare hands to apply. Not only will any self tanner stain palms horribly (even with washing immediately after) but it won't give you an even, smooth application, either. I've found a tanning mit with a glove underneath works best. When applying tan to my hands/feet/face, I like to apply lotion only to those areas (it helps to create a barrier and less product is absorbed) and apply with a large fluffy makeup brush.

This stuff is amazing! I got it for $9.99 at Walmart and apply it with a mitt. It looks a little scary as you're applying it because the color guard is so dark. It dries quickly and it can kind of look streaky or patchy, but have no fear!! Once you shower and rinse the color guard off, it looks great. It has an olive tone and isn't orange at all. Gorgeous brown, even tan that is pretty much impossible to mess up.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

If you're looking for a drugstore priced self tanner that is comparable to high end, pick this up. For reference I am fair skinned and purchased the darkest shade.

This has a really nice tropical scent and a color guide to it that is very very dark with a green undertone. I'll admit I was a little nervous applying this after seeing the color of the product. This was my first time using a tanning "mousse" and while I was applying it I realized that it sets incredibly quickly and becomes hard to blend in to the skin. It started looking really patchy which freaked me out but I kept applying it anyway, making sure I was spreading tanner evenly throughout the skin. I figured because it sets so quickly that it was just the color guide that was making it appear patchy.

Once the tanner developed a few hours later (I slept in it :p) I took a shower and rinsed my body. The aftermath was amazing! I was so much tanner after one application. The patchy-ness from initial application rinsed off and the color was very natural and was not streaky at all.

If you don't use a mitt or gloves your hands are going to turn ORANGE because this will stain them immediately. I always apply this before bed because of the very dark, unnatural, color guide. I did notice when I woke up it had that typical DHA smell that tanners have once they develop, but It was not as revolting as others.

Personally, I am very particular with my hands and face. If I use this on my hands I pump out the smallest amount on to the top of my hand near my wrist. I then rub the backs of both my hands together, with my fingers closed, blending the product out evenly on to my fingers. Afterwards I wipe my hands on a dry towel to further blend the product.

However because this is so dark right away, I don't usually apply it to my hands. Your hands are normally lighter than the rest of your body so a dark tan on them doesn't look very natural. I usually use a lighter self tanning lotion on my hands instead; this also helps so I never have streaky, dark hands or orange between my fingers that are a giveaway that a self tanner was used. I apply it the same way I described earlier.

*As a tip I recommend doing what you do when you prepare for a spray tan. Exfoliate your entire body and shave a few hours/same day/ before application (I also apply lotion on my whole body but make sure you wait enough time for it to fully absorb before you start the tanning process) Right before tanner application, apply lotion to any dry, rough areas (knees, ankles, toes, hands, etc) because these places will stain and absorb more product. Afterwards I take a dry towel and blend it in those same areas I applied lotion to prior to application.*

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

"LA Tan Luxury Black Bronzing Medium Sunless Mousse"

^ That's the one I have. Maybe the shade "Dark" would have worked better. The Wal-Mart I was in only carried the "Medium" shade, otherwise I would have bought the Dark.

I am new to self tanning and I was excited to try my first mousse. I picked this up at Wal-Mart for only $5 (for the half-size) and figured I had nothing to lose. The smell isn't bad, at all, it's kind of fruity.

I'll tell you one thing: be VERY CAREFUL not to touch your glove on any body part by accident because this stuff will immediately stain your skin. The end result was pretty streaky, I ended up with all these little random patches of dark stains where I accidentally brushed up against with my glove and got a small speckle of tanner. Once it's on your skin it is impossible to rub it in. This tanner is not very forgiving. It's extremely easy to get an uneven tan so you have to work very fast and be careful not to go over the same spot twice. For that reason alone, I would not repurchase this.

On the bottle it says to "apply it 1-3 times" in a span of 12 hours. After sleeping with it on overnight, I decided the color wasn't dark enough and rubbed on a second layer to leave on that morning. My legs are extremely pale and even though I had been using Jergens gradual tanner (I have a review up for that too) I had shaved right before using this product and the color left on my legs was almost non-existent even after leaving it on overnight.

I left the second application on for an additional 4 hours and it didn't seem to make me any darker. I was very disappointed - my legs, especially, were still pretty pale. Overall, I'm very disappointed in the color pay-off. (My legs only got their color back when I applied Jergens on top.) And the fact that it's so easy to stain your skin by accident and how quickly it dries makes it very hard to work with, especially for beginner self-tanners, like me.

on 5/17/2016 6:57:00 PM

I'm in love. I religiously use this. I recently got a spray tan instead of using this, since I had a free one, and I actually didn't like the spray tan. it gathered too easily on places I didn't want and faded unevenly. LA Tan, though, always fades evenly for me! It literally never fails. I have my husband help me reach my back (I married a keeper) and I do put it on my hands, feet, and face (it never breaks me out). When I apply it to sensitive areas like those, I mix with a light lotion. THE BEST.

on 5/1/2016 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Out of all the self tanning mousse products that I've tried, this is the best so far! I bought this at Walmart for like $8 or $9, and it contains 7 fl oz of product. The pump works great on it so far, and I've not had any issues. I've used this 3 times so far going on 3 weeks. So, I use it roughly once a week. Sunday afternoons and nights is when I do any weekly grooming, such as nails, washing makeup brushes, self tanning, etc, so that's when I use this. I always bathe or shower beforehand, washing, exfoliating, and moisturizing very well. I use a moisturizing body lotion straight out of the bath or shower, let that sink in well for about 15-20 minutes before I apply this self tanning mousse. Just using a small bit of moisturizer helps the self tan mousse color develop more evenly because the skin isn't trying to drink it up in patches. I use a disposable glove with a fuzzy sock as a self tanning mit applicator, lol. Don't judge, it works very well, lol! When I squirt a pump of this mousse out, I can actually see streaks of green color in the mousse foam. That green undertone makes this develop into the most beautiful, dark, natural, tan color. It is the most believable color for a natural tan. It has ZERO orange to it! This does have the tinted guide color to show you where it's been applied, so that is helpful. Sometimes the guide color can kind of gather in the skin on my knees, so I take my damp towel that I dried off with after my shower and give it a good once over on my knees, feet and ankles, elbows, etc, and I never have a problem with dirty looking patches. The guide color does rinse off with your next shower, so that can transfer a tiny bit onto clothing until you get it rinsed off. I really don't have a problem with guide color transfer with this though. This doesn't have a noticeable smell to me. My favorite self tanning mousses include Vita Liberata from Ulta/Sephora and Body Drench Quick Tan from Sally's. But, I'm really loving this LA Tan over those 2. I am going to try and buy up as many bottles of this as I can, because I have a feeling that Walmart will only carry this seasonally. If you come across this, buy a bottle!

I literally just created an account to write a review on this.. here it goes.

YouTube got me into trying self tanner, and I've tried so many since, my favorite was the Equate Self Tanner Mist from Walmart. Ugh, it was so easy and fast. The tan was AMAZING. It lasted forever, but none of the Walmarts near me have it anymore. I saw this and I Googled it to see if it had any reviews, none. I couldn't find anything about it so I didn't buy it but every time I went to Walmart I eyed it so hard and questioned SHOULD I GET IT ORR... The smell, that's the first good impression it left me, so I was like OK whatever, I'm getting it. I applied it with a fuzzy sock bc my son destroyed my tanning mitt. My first thought was wtf, this looks so natural.. I applied it at night and when I woke up, (12pm lol) I took a shower and when my sister saw me, she was like wtf.. you look so tan, you don't look orange. I was like I KNOW RIGHT I LOOK LIKE I'VE BEEN ON VACATION. Its pretty amazing. I just dread the application bc I usually like sprays. I wish the guide color was the color of how the tan would stay, but it comes off, leaves you with an amazing golden tan. It lasts awhile, like 2 weeks on me. It fades amazing, except after about 7 days it tends to fade weird on my feet. I'm trying to think of other things that would be informative bc I know I would've loved to seen an in depth review when I bought it. Hmmm, OH YEAH! It dries so fast. Honestly a fuzzy sock works way matter than a tanning mitt. When I applied it, I imagined myself blending an eyeshadow look. If there was wetness left in the fuzzy sock, I'd use it on the parts I hadn't self tanned yet as a transition shade almost? Then when I'd self tan that part, it'd be easier than applying it to my pale ass skin. I suggest a normal sock then a fuzzy sock on top of that to make sure it doesn't seep through & stain your hands. (Wow fuzzy socks & a review on a self tanner doesn't sound weird at all). LAST THING: I had trouble the first time getting my back but I didn't have anyone to help.. I literally grabbed a hair brush I didn't use, (the wide ones) and put a fuzzy sock over it. The flat part of the brush is what I used to blend in my back, it was AMAZEBALLS. Ok, I sound so ghetto lol.. that's my review. 😊😊😊

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've used self tanner for years now as it is really hard for me to tan naturally and I usually use Banana Boat tanning lotion.. This does have a much better color but stains your hands terribly just a straight brown color I had to wash my hands every 2 minutes!! Would not advise using it unless you have a tanning mitt to apply it with. Even then it dries so quickly that you need to go in very small sections otherwise you'll end up a streaky mess.