4.1

price range

Reviews

2.0

9 years ago

Overall, this was a big disappointment. I saw the high rating on MUA and thought, maybe finally I'll have my HG concealer! Unfortunately, this was not the case. Cost: The price was $22.50 USD for 0.1 oz, or $225 per ounce. This is a little steep. Consider, MAC Studio Finish concealer at $68.75 per ounce, or L'oreal True Match concealer at $52.65 per ounce. However, consider Yves Saint Laurent's Anti-Cernes concealer at $500 an ounce, or Cle de Peau concealer at $411.76 / oz. I would say this is a mid- to high- end concealer. Plus, you need less concealer to deliver a good amount of coverage (it is highly pigmented), so comparing it to less expensive, more "watery" concealers may be comparing apples to oranges. Packaging: This comes in a flip-top metal container that snaps tightly closed. The great thing about the packaging is that it comes with a mirror inside; small, but very helpful for touch-ups. The bad thing is, it's a cream, so, of course, is not in a tube, and dipping your fingers/ a brush constantly into the container is unhygienic. Texture: This is a very creamy, easily spreadable concealer. However, it is not easily blendable. How can that be? Well, as much as you attempt to blend it, it still looks cakey and the coverage looks spotty. Hence, spreadable but not blendable. Coverage: This is incredibly pigmented and thus high coverage. I wouldn't use it for marks, acne, etc. because I have pretty clear skin, minus a couple small but annoying acne scars. I would use it for dark circles under my eyes, which are dark and purple, even if I've had 12 hours sleep and 8 glasses of water. However, though it is high coverage, the coverage is spotty. The coverage is not continuous and looks heavier in some areas than others. I would not particularly recommend this concealer for acne, because I don't know if it is comedogenic or not. It is pretty creamy; it might clog your pores. Method of application: I use my fingers to apply most concealers, unless they're liquid, and I use a brush to blend it in around the corners of my eyes and the sides of my nose. (That's how far the circles span!) Since this concealer is so creamy, I would recommend using a brush; you don't need to warm it up on your fingers in order to apply it. Also, using a brush may be more hygienic. Finish: I waited awhile after applying to see if it would "set" and dry up a bit. It doesn't. It stays creamy on your face. The finish is wet and thus melts off easily. I tried setting it with powder; this does the trick and sets it well, but makes the under-eye area look dry. Endurance: This settles into my lines ten minutes after applying it, even if I set it with powder. Half of it melts off and the rest that lasts looks cakey and spotty. HOW did this get such a good rating?? Shades: There are ten shades: #1 through #10. I use a mix of number 6 and 7, for my MAC NC40-42 (winter) skin. If I wanted to continue using it in the summer (NC42-43) I would just mix more of #7 in. (To mix, scoop out some, put it in a separate container, and microwave it so it is liquid and mixable. Hey, if it was a good enough concealer, it would be worth the trouble!). I don't know if this will match the lightest or darkest of ladies, but the ones in between will find a shade. I am usually the last or second to last in foundation/concealer shades for the majority of brands, so I consider their shade selection reasonably good. Availability: I bought this online from dermstore.com with free shipping and hassle-free returns (so they say, I didn't actually return the product). They say if you test the product, you can still return it. However, shipping is free, so that was incentive enough for me to try it; unfortunately, I am now out $45 (for two colors) and past the return period. There are also 38 stores throughout U.S.A., but keep in mind that is not very much, and you might not have any stores within your area. There are several stores in New York city (including the original 3 Custom Color store, with testers) and one in Los Angeles. Other locations can be found at http://www.threecustom.com/pages.php?pageid=5 Bottom line: This may be a nice concealer for someone who wants to cover very slight discolorations or under-eye darkness. I think layering it so it could cover my circles made it spotty; it couldn't "handle" the layering and ended up looking terrible. No matter which way you use it, you will need setting powder, access to a big city (or a willingness to buy it off the internet without knowing your exact shade, like me), and an ample wallet. Ingredients: Mineral Oil (Parraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Ozokerite Wax, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Lanolin, Propylparaben, Zinc Stearate, Kaolin. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, 77492, 77489), Ultramarines (Cl 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Cl 77288). Three Custom Color Specialists' product description: "This versatile formula is appropriate for all skin types and is designed to provide the most effective coverage for redness and dark circles. Use in isolated areas with our Concealer brush or your fingers. For full coverage all over the face, use with a dry sponge. For sheer coverage, use a wet sponge or blend with moisturizer. Also available in refills for your Refillable Trio Compact."

About reviewer (65 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Coarse

9 years ago

I had 3C make me a customized color of the Cream Concealer. I sent them a sample of NARS Sheer Matte foundation in Tahoe, which is a perfect color for my skin and they did a good job matching it. The formula is fairly thick but blends easily. The coverage is great but my one complaint is that it's a bit oily. I dust with powder, which helps. I either use it alone and just cover my trouble spots, or, when I need extra coverage, I used it over the NARS foundation. It wears well and looks great for hours. Definitely recommend!

About reviewer (69 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Tan, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

10 years ago

Love this stuff! It's very pigmented so I only need a dab to blend on forehead, nose and chin. Covers pores and any redness. I've never broken out from this either. I use the translucent powder to set it and I'm good for the day. Pricey but you need very little so it will last a long time.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

from

10 years ago

I bought this in 1, 2 and 3 and unfortunately I fall between 1 and 2 as far as color match. Very nice product,can be used as concealer or foundation but as foundation does not last all day. A little too wet for that, my skin just seemed to absorb it. If I found a color match I'd be more likely to repurchase. Don't have time to blend product for every use. Very highly pigmented so a little goes a long way!

About reviewer (91 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

13 years ago

I looked for 2 years to find a concealer that didn't cake and that was emollient enough for me. After debating for quite some time because of the cost, I sent my "ideal" concealer color to 3 Custom (I mixed some of the products that I had together to get the right color, but I wanted it in their formula because it's so creamy). I was not disappointed. It's perfect. Even though it seems expensive, you get twice the amount of product that you get from others (BB, LM, Becca, etc) and the color is perfect. You don't need to use much (particularly if you use a brush), and I'm sure the container will last me a good 2-3 years. So very worth it to me. It's creamy, doesn't cake or creep into lines, stays all day, and never looks "crepe-y". I love this company - I no longer panic that my favorite product might be discontinued -- because I know I can just send it off to them -- they are fantastic.

About reviewer (401 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Dry, Fair

14 years ago

ATTN- many many makeup artists in NYC using these as foundations....super blendable,super formula,super good colors.....can be sheered our or built up easily. 19.50 a pop.

About reviewer (82 reviews)

HairRed

14 years ago

This is the first concealer I ever bought for myself. The range of shades is extensive so it's easy to find the color that matches your current complexion completely (whether your currently pale or just came from the beach). Come to think of it, the texture of this reminds me of Sue Devitt's stick concealer. This is way cheaper and there's more product in every pan. Love this brand!

About reviewer (134 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Oily, Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Coarse

2.0
from

15 years ago

Well, i'm going to be the minority here and profess my extreme dislike for this concealer. I love the Three Custom line and decided to try out their concealers. I had high hopes for this one since all of their other products had given me such good results. What a let down! The color selection is great and the consistency is nice but the major flaw with this concealer is the fact that they use several known pore cloggers as the main ingredients in this product. I want to cover up my blemishes, not create more! I can't recommend this to anyone based on the ingredient list. Not only is this one sure to clog your pores, it just didn't cover well for me. It had a sheer sort of coverage that tended to settle into fine lines quite easily. I really wish I had better things to say about this product because I really love Three Custom color products and their customer service is fantastic. This will not be a repurchase.

About reviewer (182 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

15 years ago

This is a great concealer! Not only does it cover amazingly, but it does not crease the entire day, even under my eyes! The ability to purchase this either on its own, or in a pan to be added to a palette is an added bonus. This is a dryer feeling concealer. The color selection is very good as well. I am impressed with this concealer, and I have tried just about every concealer out there. I like this one even better than the Cle De Peau concealer that used to be my favorite one.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age25-29

EyesHazel

15 years ago

I LOVE this concealer. Not only does it cover my dark circles but i also use it as an eyeshadow base and foundation with a damp sponge. I am number 7.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

Age30-35