NYX Professional Makeup Brow Mascara

NYX Professional Makeup Brow Mascara
Brow Mascara

4.4

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my first tinted brow gel and while I really wanted to love it, my main problem was with the applicator. I have quite sparse Asian brows, but long brow hairs, and got espresso, which is a nice cool-toned dark brown that doesn't show up overly warm on my brows. I wanted to have a product to give the nice "feathery" look or at least hold my long brow hairs in place. I appreciate the amount of mascara in the tube, but the applicator is simply too big and holds too much product. More often than not, I end up with clumps or globs on my brows and have to spend a lot of time blending out the product with a clean spoolie. I tried to cut the applicator in half to be more similar to Glossier Boy Brow's wand, but the aluminum was too thick for my scissors (lol). I've tried applying with a light hand but still end up with streaks - cleaning the brush off on a tissue before application works somewhat but also is annoying because then I'm wasting product. I think this product would work better if you had more dense eyebrow hair and thicker eyebrows overall. Also, I'm not sure how well it holds my brows in place.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is everything I wanted the glossier boy brow to be.....and it’s a better price. Win.

on 5/4/2018 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Previously, I was using Essence Make Me Brow. I liked it, but it did not blow me away. This NYX one blew me away. I really like the wand. It's really good at sweeping up hairs and separating them to coat them with product. It's very waxy and builds good volume. More volume than Essence. I like to pair it with a clear brow gel. The tinted brow gel clings to the clear one and I'm able to get more thickness. One thing I'm not pleased with is the color. I got the shade Espresso. It's the right depth, but not the right tone. For reference, I use ABH brow products in Ash Brown and those are a perfect match. The shade Espresso is a dark neutral brown. Drugstore pencils tend to be a bit gray, so it evens out. On its on or paired with my ABH products, the color looks a bit off. Not a huge deal. I notice it, but others probably do not. I may try a shade up and see if I like the tone of that better. I do appreciate that NYX has a good color range of about 6 shades of varying depth and tone. Many brands only have 2 or 3 shades. I noticed in reviews people are complaining that it's not pigmented enough. I have not had that issue and find the pigment to be fine. I think that this is my new go-to tinted brow gel.

Update: Brunettes do not be scared of the shade Black. It's an ash brown color, not black like the name suggests. It's the same depth as Espresso, but has a much cooler tone. It matches me perfectly!

on 4/14/2018 7:31:00 AM

Packaging: Medium sized thin tube which is handy if you travel often. The wand is a bit bulky / big which bends easy. Product: I have bright blonde hair & use the shade “ chocolate” which is too dark as its a medium brown. It coates the brow hairs but doesn’t make them stay in place at all. If you’re after a brow gel which colours your hairs then this is perfect for you! if you’re after a gel that makes your hairs stay in place or to create fluffy brows with this isn’t for you. Easy to get product on your skin / put too much on due to the brush being bulky too. Overall i wouldn’t buy again as i want something to hold my brow hairs in place but it is cheap which is a bonus i think it was around £6 in the UK.

on 4/9/2018 2:52:00 PM

I really like this brow mascara. It tints my brows just the right amount, looks very natural. Keeps brows in place, lasts all day. I have the shade "brunette" and it is a great neutral brown for me. The size of the brush is okay, could be slightly smaller but it's not too big. Very easy to use. Will repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have weird eyebrows. The hairs are long, but they aren’t thick. But they also aren’t thin. “Sparse” isn’t quite the right word, but I don’t know how to describe them any better than that. Also, they are on the lighter side of medium brown.

Since my hair is dyed black and is naturally dishwater blonde, I always fill in my eyebrows so they match my hair better. I’m trying to go for a more natural look these days though, and pomades/dark powders/pencils tend to create too “done” of a look.

So, I got this in the shade Black. It actually is not black, it’s a dark brown... but I appreciate the fact that it has no red or orange undertones like most brow gels in this price range tend to have. But it’s just not as dark as I hoped. My eyebrows do look noticeably thicker, but they aren’t much darker at all really, only subtly — which is strange to me because my eyebrows aren’t very dark to begin with and this product is supposed to be black. So I was a bit disappointed by that.

It would probably give better results for my type of eyebrow if I were to use powder with it, but that’s an extra step that I’m trying not to do anymore. I don’t feel weird going out with only this on my eyebrows though. It keeps my brows from disappearing against my hair color, which is the important thing.

I like the applicator and the formula. It’s very easy to use and maneuver, and you’d have to really be trying to overload the brush and apply too much product. I’ll continue to buy this, I just wish it was a teeeensy bit darker pigmented...

on 2/5/2018 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

It's been a long while since I last used brow gel/tint/mascara regularly. When I was younger I'd dye my hair fun colours, bleach my eyebrows and colour them back in. I didn't like ABH because the tints then were super matte, wet, goopy, and harsh looking. MAC brow set was decent if I took half the product off the wand first. Drugstore variations were a joke because they all looked orange. There weren't great options. Now we're spoiled for brow products, which is great, because my brows are going grey so fast that if I keep plucking them I'll have barely any left.

This brow "mascara" (seems like a weird distinction but it makes sense) has stellar reviews and they're well deserved.

I picked up a few colours due to lack of faith at the drugstore, chocolate, brunette, and espresso. Chocolate seems like a decent colour for someone with auburn hair. Brunette is neither too warm nor too ashy, being a yellow leaning brown it would suit a wide range of brunettes or dark blondes. Espresso is great for beyond a level 5 brunette, it's deep brown without being harsh or leaning green. My hair sits at about a 5 or 4 right now since it hasn't been highlighted in years, and espresso suits me best, even with sun deprived winter skin.

The formula is neither too dry nor too wet. There were no clumps to tidy up afterward and I didn't have to wipe any excess off the brush. I could press a little to get some onto my skin, filling in any small patches easily enough. It didn't result in an unnatural block brow look. When I checked my makeup in the mirror later I'd completely forgotten that it was on, it didn't look like makeup at all, just more symmetrical youthful brows (which is exactly what I want from my makeup on the day-to-day).

I'm very impressed. I was going to splurge on boy brow but it looks gloopy in the photos and the reviews indicate that it clumps so I'm sticking with this one.

Edit: I bought mine at SDM Canada, they were on sale for $5, regular about $10.

on 2/4/2018 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The formulation isn't highly pigmented but the texture is nice and it doesn't smear. I tried this in "Chocolate" which is a misnomer, since it's more of a brownish-cocoa shade than a dark brown. Too dark-orangey for me (my HG is anything Anastasia in Taupe). If you can find a shade that works for you, it's a good drug store alternative to the high-end stuff.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Brunette is a soft brown shade. The bristle end of the wand is about half the length of a mascara wand and the formula is neither too wet nor too dry, it applies evenly and keeps brow hairs in place all day. It is almost a good as my favorite (L'Oréal Brow Stylist Plumper in Medium/Dark) brow gel/mascara. The L'Oréal one has a smaller spoolie but a wetter formula. NYX is cruelty-free and the formula is a little drier which gives it the edge from a re-purchase standpoint. I’d rate this a 4.5 out of 5 lippies.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have pretty full eyebrows, but I do have a few sparse spots and this fills everything up nicely and looks natural. I have the shade blonde which I was worried would look too yellow/warm toned but on the brows it's a true taupe. The only downside is it can easily give block brows if you aren't careful.

I'm not sure how well this would do if you actually need to sculpt/build your brows, this is probably better suited for those who need very minimal brow work.