Olaplex Olaplex step 3 (Home treatment)

Water (Aqua), Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Quaternium-91, Sodium Benzoate, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-37, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Etidronic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate.

I moved recently and had to find a new hair stylist. For the last 6 months she has said I MUST use this if I color my hair. So of course I bought into it. I had healthy beautiful hair and was perfectly happy with the other professional products I was using but the allure of something new proved to be a big mistake. Steps 1 and 2 are done at the salon by the stylist with product direct from Olaplex. Step 3 was this pre-shampoo bonding agent (not a conditioner)that supposedly coats your hair and protects from damage. I was sold Step 3 at the salon to use at home. Step 4 shampoo and Step 5 conditioner I bought directly from Olaplex online. This stuff has made my hair texture completely change. It is dry and coarse now. And when the bonding agent comes off it breaks your hair off with it. Even the stylist that sold it to me remarked last visit how my hair texture had changed. I have switched hairstylists and moved on to someone with more product knowledge and doesn’t push Olaplex. Luckily I quit using this stuff before it was really too late. But the damage done will take some time to repair. Really disappointing after a long time of growing out my hair and it was so beautiful before this lame product. I am now using an organic product line purchased at my new salon called Davines which is putting moisture back in my hair and the texture is already much better after just 2 hair masks.

Sadly this has never helped my hair. I’ve bought it over and over but no difference. First time I used it was when I got a head of highlights on my very long thick and healthy box dyed black hair. We did the olaplex 1 and 2 treatment in the salon, but the hair was still feeling dry. They gave me step 3 to take away and use weekly, but I found when I did use step 3, my hair was dry and brittle, moreso than when I wouldn’t use it. So over the course of the year I eventually got so many highlights that I went blonde. I recently got this step 3 as a gift. So have been using it. Really when I use it my hair needs washing more frequently as my ends go dry and crispy quickly, without using the olaplex my hair is in better condition even after all the bleach.

I always got this treatment from a reputable salon so I know it’s not a fake.

A few comments on the price and packaging. This price point really doesn’t benefit those of us with long and thick hair. I got a few uses out of it? And for £24 that is quite shocking, considering this isn’t a deep or restoring treatment. And the bottle makes it hard to squeeze product out when it’s coming to the end of its life and you’re trying to get as much out as you can because of the crazy price.

I really think this olaplex at home step is a placebo effect because I’ve seen no positive improvement to my hair at all. Won’t be buying again unless it’s a gift

I have never written a review before but this deserved one.
My hair has been ruined for years! Not from colouring it but from straightening and I believe hormones. I have been to doctors as my hair was falling out in clumps and breaking off. I have tried every product under the sun, I have tried every shampoo/conditioner/the curly girl method etc. Nothing worked. I bought this and have used it twice and my hair is so shiny and I've had minimal breakage. It actually looks completely different to how it looked a week ago. Normally I'd run my fingers through my hair and have 5 strands break off, now they go through smoothly with no issues. The price is a bit high for the small amount but it's well worth it. For anyone having issues definetly try this. It is amazing!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I suspect the negative reviews on this product are from people who purchased theirs from Amazon, or some other third-party retailer where you're not sure youre actually getting the real product. Or these are people with unrealistic expectations... if your hair is really severely damaged from years of bleach, heat, saltwater, etc, it will NOT put it back to perfect virgin hair. If you're expecting that, you're also going to be disappointed. I'd say it restores hair to about 75% of where it was originally. You need to have realistic mindsets with these types of products.

I have ombre'd the sh*t out of my naturally dark hair for years, and all that lifting took its toll. I do find that this product DOES work better if you get the No. 1 and No. 2 done first at the salon, and then maintain with the No. 3. The cons to this is, that you do not get much product for your buck. I have since cut my hair to around shoulder-length, but had almost waist length hair for the past few years and I'd get *maybe* 2 uses out of the whole bottle.

This stuff has worked far better than any other mask, treatment or method I've tried, and believe me, I've tried tons.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There's probably a reason that Olaplex 1 and 2 is meant for Salon use only(!) and no 3 for home use, even though there are ways/salespoints to purchase all 3, but not by default.
As far as I've read, no 1 is for adding to colouring, which will protect the hair from damage, no 2 as an after-colouring treatment, and the no 3 for maintenance-treatments at home (every 2/3 weeks).
When I read (eg) a review by Hlynn8585 (on 10/16/2018) telling us she "left on 1 and 2 overnight " I can only scratch my head: you combined both 1 and 2 (and left it overnight)?? That can't be good, imho, I only know of possibly doing so by using no 3 (as in using it as a hair mask). If you read up on the technology and its executive processes it makes a lot of sense too.
I don't know, but I suspect that even a lot of hairdressers aren't too informed, cause I do know from experience they can get it blatantly wrong, and end up blaming it on (fill in whatever) because they don't want to assume responsibility.
Don't just read the bloggers, go to the source and the tech-data, and refrain from "tinkering".

Awesome, totally heals and changes completely the texture of fried frizzled and damaged strands. A+

I wish I would have read more reviews on this product. I did the 3 step treatment. I clarified my hair first as directions state and I left on 1 and 2 overnight because everything I read said the longer the better. The next day I did a deep conditioning treatment after shampooing. My hair felt rough and course immediately, and now 4 days later it's breaking off in chunks. It must've reacted to my hair somehow. Don't do this yourself. If you really feel you need to try it just go to a salon. I did research it a lot and everything I found said it was completely safe, but obviously something went wrong. I am so pissed.

Wow c'est incroyable, la dernière fois que je suis arrivé temps forts de blanchiment au salon ils ont utilisé l'étape 1 et 2. J'ai utilisé l'étape 3 à la maison une fois par semaine et mes cheveux se sent comme SND de soie est super brillant. Je ne serai jamais sans ce produit et sera toujours assurez-vous qu'il est utilisé lorsque je reçois les faits saillants de blanchiment. Olaplex a transformé mes cheveux, ✨ brillan

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I bleach my hair and change color about every 2 months, I've had every color of the rainbow! I have heard bad side effects from use, so I'm just going to write how I use olaplex and what it did to me.

I used to have a hair dresser that would use the 1 and 2 system... I never used 3 at the time. I developed another human being and didnt have time to do my hair for almost a year.

After that, I started to go back to another hair dresser (never used olaplex in my hair) and decided to start using #3 at home. I did use it for the 10 minutes and deep condition afterwards which I felt, didn't really do much for my hair. So, I decided to one day, leave it on over night. Now, I know that some people say it actually stops working after a short period of time but... the next day after I deep conditioned and rinsed out, my curls came back and my hair felt and looked healthier!

Now, my hair regimen consists of washing my hair once a week. I wrap my hair religiously every night with a silk scarf, and lightly, very lightly mist my ends with shea moisture coconut leave in treatment and on some winter nights, a smidgen of argan oil on the ends. I use olaplex #3 overnight very sparingly- about once every 2 months is all I need. It's not a conditioner so I would NOT recommend using this everyday. Just like protein based products are great for yur hair, but using protein rich serums, plus protein based heat protectant sprays, plus protein based shampoo and conditioner, etc. Can build to too much protein, and start breaking the hair off. I believe olaplex works in the same way.

I've been using this once every 2 months for almost 2 years now, and it seems to be keeping my hair healthy. Now, I get my hair bleached out and recolored with more space in between, but my rule of thumb is, after I have my hair bleached and colored, and I'm ready to do my first wash, I will use this. And I think it is good to use this, but just not as a daily or weekly treatment.

Olaplex – my personal experience with this product was terrible so I would like to share it with as many potential users as possible. If you look around there are many many reviews like this – it’s just warning for people to do full research before using a product:
I bought Olaplex 1 and 2 as a stand alone treatment (my hair dresser also used it on me with a root bleach) and I bought number 3 to use separately alongside my conditioner and moisture treatments. I’ve never regretted buying a product more in my life.
I’ve had my hair bleached professionally for 15 years and never experienced more than a few split ends. After my hairdresser used 1 & 2 in my hair it initially felt amazing and looked really shiny. After a few days it started to snap quite a lot. The point of breakage was the part where the newly bleached hair joined the hair that was previously bleached.. the normal area of overlap.
I assumed that it was just because the stylist had gone up one level in bleach and I contacted Olaplex and they recommended that I keep using 1 & 2 as a stand alone treatment as well as number 3 regularly.
Over about 2 weeks I followed the instructions from the Olaplex rep. I must add that I followed the product instructions exactly and I also conditioned my hair with moisture thoroughly each time I used it to avoid drying.
Every time I used the Olaplex product my hair was snapping more and more.. it sounds stupid but it took me over two weeks to work out that the Olaplex was causing this. I sought out independent advice from a high end salon chain locally to me who offer Olaplex as a service. They advised that although the product is amazing for most people, it can have an adverse effect on a fair few people, even with virgin untreated hair.
Upon subsequent research I have read about hundreds of people who have had the same experience. It is as though the Olaplex fries your hair and leaves it like snapping burnt straw.
Since I stopped using it, my hair has stopped breaking. However I am left with short stubby sections of my hair in various places, mainly on the crown and in the parting. Personally I feel disgusting but I know my hair will grow and I will never use that product again. Using high moisture products since has helped with the overall condition but I can’t get the broken hair back.
The product is overpriced and over rated in my opinion. I would strongly recommend doing a test on your hair before using this product all over. If you buy it, test it on a section and wait a week or so to see if it starts snapping.