Paula's Choice CLINICAL Ultra-Rich Moisturizer

3.3

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (shea butter/emollient/antioxidant), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient, skin replenishing), Glyceryl Stearate SE (texture-enhancing), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (olive oil/non-fragrant emollient plant oil/antioxidant), Dimethicone (emollient/hydration), Stearic Acid (texture-enhancing/stabilizer), Glyceryl Stearate (texture-enhancing/stabilizer), Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (mango butter/non-fragrant emollient plant oils/antioxidant), Cetyl Alcohol (stabilizer), Cocos Nucifera Oil (coconut oil/non-fragrant emollient plant oil/antioxidants), Ceramide NP (skin replenishing), Ceramide AP (skin replenishing), Ceramide EOP (skin replenishing), Sphingolipids (skin replenishing), Phospholipids (skin replenishing), Phytosphingosine (skin-soothing/skin-restoring ingredient), Squalene (emollient), Cholesterol (skin replenishing), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Simmondsia Chinensis Butter (jojoba butter/plant-based emollient), Persea Gratissima Oil (avocado oil/non-fragrant emollient plant oils/antioxidants), Glycine Soja Oil (soybean oil/non-fragrant emollient plant oils/antioxidant), Oryza Sativa Bran Oil (rice oil/non-fragrant emollient plant oil/antioxidant), Avena Sativa Kernel Extract (oat extract/skin-soothing), Glycerin (skin replenishing), Panthenol (vitamin B5/skin-soothing), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Beta-Sitosterol (skin replenishing/skin-soothing), Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides Citrate (stabilizer), Propylene Glycol (hydration), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (stabilizer), Butylene Glycol (hydration), Xanthan Gum (texture-enhancing), Carbomer (texture-enhancing), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin (hydration), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've cycled through a lot of moisturizers before finding this one, but I finally found a moisturizer that works for me.

I have very dry skin; I live in a super-dry climate, and use retin-a on my face every night. I've been using this as my go-to moisturizer for morning and night. I also love that it is approved for use around the eyes, which means it has also replaced my eye cream. It doesn't have sunscreen, so I've been adding a separate sunscreen on to of this moisturizer in the morning, prior to applying makeup.

The packaging only gets 4 lippies b/c I really wish this was available in a larger size (it comes in one size only.)

I love how creamy and rich this moisturizer is without a heavy, greasy-feeling layer atop my skin. It is heavy duty without feeling heavy, and goes on really smoothly. I do give it a few minutes to absorb prior to applying makeup.

Great moisturizer for very dry skin, love it.

An ok product, nothing special. A little expensive for what it does. It leaves a film on my skin for several hours and I don’t feel like it hydrates more than your average night cream.

I'm an Asian guy with combination dry skin. I'm in my mid 20's, been trying out Paula Choice's moisturizers. Except the SPF 30 mineral sunscreen that I use in the morning, I had no luck finding for the one that best suits my skin. My skin loves thick but not too greasy cream. Lotion does nothing for me, some of them leave tacky oily finishes. I got this as a sample, I didn't have any expectation.

So, I normally double cleanse, tone, exfoliate (with BHA). arbutin serum and moisturize, but I decided to put this on immediately after taking a shower. The consistency is luxurious- thick, white cream. But man, this thing glided over smoothly, sunk in my skin almost immediately, and left a subtle thin matte finish. My skin felt soft and hydrated, and plumped!

Now I know my skin loves buttery texture. It's not oily, it's just rich and creamy. Hey, I'm trying to prevent wrinkles and I want to look like I'm 26 when I reach 45! I just had to order this in full size.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have extremely sensitive skin with rosacea that is very dry. I wanted to try this moisturizer in hopes that it would replace the Cerave Cream I'd been using as it has better ingredients and packaging. Unfortunately it stung my cheeks pretty much immediately after applying it. I binned it and then tried again recently with the same results. I'm not sure which ingredient(s) caused the problem.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I purchased Clinical Ultra-Rich by Paula's Choice because of my unpredictable rashiness thinking it would be a savior. The first thing I noticed was the unpleasant, pasty texture which made application a chore. It didn't absorb, but sat on top of my face like a cold cream. The next day my skin looked slightly smoother but didn't feel incredibly moisturized. Two days in and my face was breaking out in red bumps all over my cheeks, nose and forehead. I had to break out my old Proactiv toner to clear it up for the next two weeks. I won't be repurchasing this and am seriously thinking about going back to my La Mer considering I have really liked many products that have received negative reviews from Beautypedia.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Out of curiosity, I ordered this item. I've been using the Clinical Ultra-Rich Soothing Body Butter for addition moisture with satisfied result. This is a basic moisturizer without all the bells & whistles. My skin is dry, very dry, but no flaky.
I tried this and the body butter on each side of the face, no difference. The only difference is this is twice the price of the body butter & half the size. About 3/4 of the ingredients are identical in both.
No re-buy for me.

My sensitive skin has become redness-prone and very dry/flaky during the Midwest winters the past couple years. I bought this in January to use as night cream, thinking it would be a buttery, melt-into-skin God-send. What a disappointment!

Like other reviewers have said, this is as thick as spackle and doesn't blend well. Worse, once it dries, it leaves your face tight and still dehydrated-feeling -- not plump nor dewy.

After a week, it broke me out in small white bumps on my cheeks! I stopped using this and the cheek breakouts were gone in a few days. Am wondering if all the synthetic thickening ingredients (glyceryl stearate SE, glyceryl stearate, stearic acid) are to blame....

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros : Smells Great, Goes On Smoothly, Not Greasy, Moisturizes Well, Long Lasting (for normal to dry)
Cons : Not Long-Lasting (for very dry or chapped)
Best Uses : Dry/Chapped Skin, Night Time Use, Deep Moisturization

I have been trying all of the most hydrating creams and lotions from PC in search of a night-time product that will repair and moisturize my very sensitive eye area. In the course of working through my samples, we had a really dry heat wave in the Los Angeles area, and my cheeks became chapped. Needless to say, I tried applying Clinical Ultra Rich Moisturizer to all my dry areas in an attempt to bring my skin back from the brink.

I was satisfied but not super bowled over by this product. It didn't work around my eyes, making the skin in that area sting. It felt very hydrating and soothing on my cheeks when first applied, but the cream did not keep me moisturized through the night during the extreme dryness.

The texture of the product is a bit crumbly when first coming out of the container, but it melts into skin when being applied. I am a huge fan of shea butter. I try to avoid products with petrolatum on my face, so shea butter is one of the only ingredients that helps when my skin is really thirsty. I'm willing to accept that the crumbly texture is in part due to the high shea butter content, and for me it is not a deal breaker by any means.

I think this product would be a holy grail if it had the richness I was expecting of it. I found it to be great on the days when my skin was acting a bit more normal-to-dry. And it did help my chapping, but not as well as a different night cream I had on hand. Basically, if PC could combine the repairing and hydrating capability of Clinical Ultra Rich Moisturizer with the texture and longevity of CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream, this would be a slam dunk for me.

Excellent

- Super duper uber moisturising but doesn't leave the skin slick or shiny
- Smells pleasant for something fragrance free
- Even after one use I woke up with smooth, super soft skin
- Very gentle on the skin
- Lovely, slightly thick consistency that is still easy to spread across the face
- Would recommend, not just for very dry skin, but for normal to combo skin (like mine) to slightly dry skin