& Other Stories Belleville Bakery

1 review

on 2/28/2015 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

& Other Stories is a brand I've only recently discovered and seems to be one that isn't that well known in the United States just yet (it's a UK based company owned by H&M). I found it through an article online raving about one of its body scrubs that supposedly smells exactly like fresh laundered cotton. I got to browsing on their site which sells clothing, shoes, jewelry, purses and their own line of beauty products. I wasn't too interested in the clothing, but I was immediately drawn to their no frills yet stylish and simple packaging of their body gels, scrubs and lotions. I ended up buying the aforementioned cotton scrub (which I will review later) and the Bakeville Bakery gift set (with body wash and lotion) for $20.

The website says that the Bakeville Bakery scent captures "the sweets scents from a French bakery.... [and] combines the warmth of rich, creamy vanilla and fresh, tangy lemon juice." Since I love me some bakeries of any nationality and can't get enough vanilla, I snapped it up. Upon receiving and using it, I can't say that I really smell tangy lemon juice at all. In fact, Bakeville Bakery smells exactly like a slightly (and I do mean slight) richer and less sweet version of Bath & Body Works Cashmere Glow! So if you like that scent but aren't really crazy about BBW's shower gel formula (I find them rather drying), here's your slightly less expensive dupe! While I still love Cashmere Glow, I find Bakeville Bakery to be tad less cloying.

I find that this brand's gel formula lathers fairly well and you don't need to use a lot of it. I used one full pump which was actually too much. Half a pump will produce enough lather to clean yourself from head to toe. I also didn't find this drying at all which is something I'm mindful of now that I'm older and my skin seems to dry out if I even stand by a bottle of shower gel. The scent itself lingered on my skin for a bit but certainly not long enough for anyone other than myself to smell it. All of & Other Stories shower gels retail at $11 for 11.83 fl. oz (the lotions are $15 for the same amount) so they should last a good six months. Obviously, they're slightly more expensive than a drug store brand but a tiny bit cheaper than Bath & Body Works and a whole lot cheaper than Philosophy or Lush. They also have a selection of different scents which are more original than Bakeville Bakery and yes, I plan to try them all. I found their site easy to use and purchasing was easy enough (they accept all major credits cards and Paypal). I ordered over Presidents' Day weekend so it took a few days for them to process my order but it arrived quickly because send via FedEx. All my products were well packaged and wrapped in case of leakage which is always welcome. You also get to pick one free sample but the selection is rather slim.

So now, the downsides. It looks like this brand hasn't yet hit Stateside so other than their website, I'm not sure if this is available at any stores. I also noticed that their entire line of beauty stuffs isn't yet available to purchase if you live in the United States. That's kind of a bummer as there were more gift sets I would have liked to purchase just to try out. I also discovered they sell lip gloss which I'd love to try but again, it's not available to US customers. Hopefully they'll make the rest of their line available soon.

So, overall, I'm pleased with my purchases and would recommend this line and this particular scent to anyone who is crazy about gourmand scented products. I wouldn't claim it's spectacular and you can't live without it, but if you've found yourself bored with the same old same old shower gels, this is a great alternative. I think the prices are also pretty reasonable considering how crazy expensive scented body washes, scrubs and lotions have become.