Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Blur + Illuminate

Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Blur + Illuminate

3.9

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate - 7.5 (Sunscreen)Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cyclohexasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Palmitic Acid, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl Alcohol, Talc, Dimethicone, Silica, Methylparaben, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Fragrance, Ethylparaben, Capryloyl, Salicylic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Sodium Palmitoyl Proline, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Prunus Cerasus Extract (Bitter Cherry Extract), Rosa Centifolia Extract (Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract), Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract, May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides, Red 4, Yellow 5

I am a 38 year old busy mama of 3. Always go, go, go...... That being said I am looking for products that are pretty much bullet proof but wear well! I am and always have been a full coverage kind of gal. I would say my skin tone is medium olive/tan with yellow undertones and I have a combination skin type. I can get super dry in the winter time and oily as hell in my T zone areas during the summer. My holy grail primer was Smashbox illuminating primer but sadly they discontinued it. It took what seemed like forever to find a primer that even compared to it. Then I was turned on to Becca's backlight filter primer. Up until now I wouldn't use anything else. I kept hearing how similar Master Prime illuminating blur was, so......I gave it a go! I wasn't expecting anything special from a $10 primer but to my surprise it was absolutely in my opinion a dupe or pretty damn close to the Becca Backlight.
It has a light lotion texture with a slight pinkish/ purple pearl luminescent pigment that melts into my skin flawlessly no matter what condition my skin is in. It took a couple tries to get the amount right which definitely makes a difference on how well it works. (I use a little more than a dime size of product.) Also it is important to give it a good shake to make sure it is good and mixed. It has a very light fragrance and had a slight tacky feeling until it sets into the skin. I apply this with high end foundations (MAC Prolonged Wear in NC40) and drug store foundations (Revlon Color Stay in shade 330) and the end result is always the same. I get all day, 8-10 hours, of flawless coverage that looks healthy and fresh with minimal touch up. The natural glow it gives blurs out my pores and fine lines which is a huge plus! When I am attending an event I will do my regular routine and at the end hit it with my NYX setting spray and I honestly get an amazing 14-16 hour wear. ( No bull !!!) I never have had a problem with flaking and I have never experienced an oily mess. Maybe in the summer some slight T zone shine but I just hit it with a touch of setting powder and I'm good to go! For the record I have not experienced any irritation or breakouts while using this product. Realistically not everyone will have the same result but for me it was a killer find. If you are looking for a more inexpensive option when it comes to illuminating primers I would absolutely check it out!!!

on 11/8/2017 6:21:00 PM

Overall I found that this didn't do much for my makeup and is better off used with a setting spray under it. PROS: It did make my foundation last longer, but only if paired with a setting spray underneath it. There is no weird smell to it like most primers have. It also didn't make my face oily or ruin the look of my foundation. CONS: The consistency is very sticky and tacky. It feels and looks like you are putting glue on your face. It also made the foundation on my nose not stick as well and made it look very patchy. I recommend using this with a spray and avoid putting it on your nose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Horrifying! This absolutely does not work on fair skin. It has an iridescent pink and purple sheen that was really noticeable. I looked like a purple/pink tin man. It made me look really oily and shiny as well.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

First i want to say that no where on this product are the words matte, for oily skin, or shine free.
That being said, i am hopelessly pale with dry, dull skin and I feel like that's who this would benefit most. It does say you can wear it alone but i don't know why you would. It really livened up my face, even after foundation. It helped keep makeup on. You don't need a lot, it's relatively cheap and you get a good amount. It doesn't give me the powdery feel like Hard Candy, but i don't think it feels terrible as a first step. I'd try all 3.

This is kinda only OK as a primer, but I will continue to buy it because it's SPF 30 (most moisturizer is only 15) and doesn't leave that horrible greasy sunscreen feel. It's worth it for that alone!

on 4/30/2017 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin so Iike something that doesn't make my skin feel greasy or oily. I wanted to try a primer to help my foundation hold up a little more during the day so I invested in this one. I've only used it once so my review may change, however for starters it feels like I'm putting suncreen on my skin, almost. I can just feel it on my face, if that makes sense. As I said before I will continue using it through the week to see if my opinion changes, but the only complaint right now is how it feels on my face.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This primer is almost impossible to like. The illuminate part makes you shine like a deranged beacon. The only use I see in this primer is as an eyelid primer and even that didn't keep my eyeshadow from creasing.

on 10/13/2016 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Someone else here said this and I would like to repeat it: "What is the use of this product?" I have oily skin so if glow means shiny, I don't like it. I put this on and the shine was a huge turn off. Blurring the flaws? No way! My skin flaws were more noticeable with this. So to make the matter worse, I put on my foundation but didn't see any glow. If the purpose of wearing a primer is to keep the makeup intact, this failed miserably. So this ain't for me!

I like this primer so much. the subtle pink tint just does so well in brightening up the complexion. it also has spf 30 that i would sometimes use on its own. the other 2 priners in this line doesn't have spf.
this primer is very moisturizing.
i don't notice that this helps to extend makeup's wear time, but i dont use it for that purpose. i like to use it to give my skin a nice glow or to mix in with my bb creams/foundations.

this is a chemical sunscreen so if you are sensitive, u might need to avoid this product

on 7/29/2016 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very nice product. It is smooth and glides over the skin so easily. A little goes a long way so start with a tiny amount and add only if you need it. I was surprised by how far a little amount spread. It does give off a slightly pinky tone on the skin. However, it sinks in, and when you apply something else over it, i.e. BB cream or foundation, whatever, you don't see the pinky tone anymore. It is slightly shiny and luminous but not glittery. I think it extended the life of my make up. Great price. I recommend it.