Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra Dry Skin

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra Dry Skin
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel CreamHydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra Dry Skin

3.2

Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Cetearyl Olivate, Polyacrylamide, Sorbitan Olivate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Synthetic Beeswax, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Laureth-7, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, C12-14 Pareth -12, Sodium Hydroxide.

I use this as a morning moisturizer. I've tried Clinique and while Clinique is great, it's also very expensive. The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream has a similar consistency to Clinique Moisture Surge - not quite as smoothing/silicone-y, but almost. It's very light and rather tacky when first applied. When used with a consistent routine, I've noticed it smooths my skin all day and allows for better makeup application, particularly concealer, even after using sunscreen. So for me, it's almost more a primer than a strict moisturizer. It also doubles as a morning eye cream, as my undereyes have been more hydrated since I started using this product.

I've been using it for six months and just repurchased a new tub, so while the packaging is pretty deceptive (and a bit annoying), you're getting a decent amount of product. My Clinique Moisture Surge tub (the largest one) lasted about nine months with consistent use, for comparison. I don't use a ton in the morning, though, so if you plan to use it as a night cream, or like putting a lot of moisturizer on in the morning, you may go through it more quickly.

I personally wouldn't recommend this for a night cream if you've got very dry skin, as I do. It's more lightweight than a lot of other night creams, like CeraVe or FAB, and doesn't seem to really hydrate my face overnight. I haven't experienced any breakouts from this product, nor have I experienced itchiness, red patches, rashes, or other reactions, and my skin is fairly sensitive. I don't know if there are sample sizes, but I would patch test before using it in case there are ingredients that react negatively with your skin. I would also wait at least a week to see results beyond superficial skin smoothing, since in my experience skin care doesn't always work right away.

on 5/31/2018 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I recommend this product for extremely oily skin, particularly when you have dehydrated-oily skin.

I’ve used Clinique Moisture-Surge and that was perfect for my skin. It’s just totally unaffordable as I need to put quite a lot on my skin to combat my dehydration. I can’t afford 30ml every month.

I’ve replaced instead with Neutrogena and I must say, although it isn’t as good as Clinique, it’s pretty close!

I got this half-price at boots. You don’t get much for the price, but then again Clinique also gives you barely anything at a rip-off price too.

This keeps my skin feeling hydrated for most of the day and does not increase oil production for me. It does sink into my skin and leaves my skin soft and plump. I enjoy the feel of this product.

It’s just not quite, quiiiiiiiite as good, but as I can’t afford Clinique I will keep using this as a good, safe option.

Annoyingly I ran out and accidentally bought the identical Neutrogena Water Gel version, that irritated my face a little and doesn’t sink into the skin, rather just forms a barrier on top. Just be careful not to make the same mistake. Why on earth would you put it in an identical pot?

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Not for my dry skin. It is ultra light-weight and does not moisturize as a full weight day and/or night cream.

on 4/16/2018 7:54:00 AM

Does not moisturize my combination skin. didnt break me out but it made my face drier and inflamed. weird. save your money

on 3/29/2018 10:02:00 AM

This is definitely the strangest skincare product I ever bought - and I'm including the blue Cool Off stick from Milk that made my heart race (would Sephora take it back 6 months later? I got too scared to touch it.) What irks me is all the dimethicone it seems to have - that's the ingredient used in primers, which I'm not sure is used in ALL primers. I even tried to just use it as a primer/moisturizer, and it was still too went (maybe it's the "boost" factor). Also, it has blue dye in it. Why! Makes me think of Breaking Bad. Returned it.

I've never given moisturizers a second thought. I mean, I know I need it, so I've bought budget friendly from brands that I trust. Most recently I was using Neutrogena oil free daily moisturizer, totally no fuss. I'm almost 50 with combo skin, prefer a high medium coverage foundation and have issues with said foundation slipping, sliding, and sinking into lines and wrinkles. I have one deep line in my forehead from my over thinking and brooding Irish American temperament, one that I've contemplated Botox for. Recently I was reading an article about beauty products people swore by and this was mentioned, with glowing reviews from users. I picked it up at Target a few days later, now about two weeks ago, and holy crap, I'm about to write a review about a moisturizer and I've never done that before!

As I said, I picked this up at Target for $16-$17. I don't think I've ever paid that for a moisturizer that didn't come from Costco. I used to use the Olay one that came in a smallish pump bottle, targeting seven signs of aging...total? Complete? Can't remember. It was my HG for a long time in my 30s and 40s but it was pricey. And it didn't leave me 100% satisfied either.

Enter Hydro Boost. When I got it home I took a bit from the inner top lid and worked it into the back of my hand. I swooned. I did the same to my daughter and my fiance. They both swooned. The next day I applied this after my morning shower, before I got dressed. I do this so that my moisturizer can do it's thing before I apply my makeup. I was concerned about the "extra dry skin" heading on the box, worried about the greasy mess I'd likely become before long. I began to apply my makeup, sans primer because I can't stand it and believe my foundation should work it's magic without it. I'm also low maintenance and want to be done as quickly as possible. This moisturizer absorbed quickly and evenly. It left the perfect base for my foundation! As my day went along, to my surprise I didn't become greasy or sticky or anything. It played nicely with my glasses. And that deep line in my forehead? My foundation isn't sinking into it. At. All.

I don't know what sorcery is behind this moisturizer, but it's pure magic. It's amazing. This is truly a HG for me. I've never looked forward to putting on my moisturizer, but I do with this. It's amazing.

on 3/6/2018 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

**EDITED 04/2017: I take it back and have knocked my rating down. This was fine when my skin was just "normal to dry," but a few weeks ago, it got VERY dry. The kind of dry that burns constantly, flakes in places, and is just miserable. This stuff did almost nothing. I was using it day and night (usually applying several layers because one or two just wasn't enough) with oil on top and it burned like crazy when I put it on (not "reaction" kind of burning, but burning from my skin being soooo dry). The burning did go away pretty quickly, but it just wasn't enough moisture for my skin and I've switched to others that helped my skin bounce back to being just dry (instead of painful and flaking) within a couple of days.

If you have regular dry skin, or normal skin that tends to get a little drier in the winter or something, this might be ok. But if you really do have "extra dry skin," I honestly don't know how much this will help. I'm hoping to work it back into my routine in the summer because my skin is usually less dry then, and this does a fine job when my skin isn't "extra dry," without feeling heavy. But for now, I'm sticking with something more moisturizing, and I most likely will not buy this again in the future. **

I originally accidentally wrote this on the page for the regular formula, so I've just copied it over here and made some additions now that I've been using this for about a year.

This might be a new HG product for me! I only bought this because I found it on sale, because it's pricey for a drugstore product. And there's also the jar packaging, which I hate. But, I found myself in need of a new night product after my skin randomly stopped feeling soft and moisturized from the oils I've been using for the last two years, and this sounded promising. (**I'm now on my second or third jar of this stuff, and I still love it and will probably continue to buy it for the foreseeable future.**)

After I bought it, I saw the negative reviews and worried I'd just wasted my money. I got this about 6 weeks ago and have used it most nights since then, usually on top of my retinol serum (which I wasn't using while my skin was very dry), and it's been a miracle worker for my skin. I had large dry patches with a lot of flaking that never seemed to go away or be helped by anything, and my skin just looked dull and dry. The first night I used this, I felt an almost immediate difference, and when I woke up the next day, my skin looked more hydrated and smooth. (**After a year of use, I've only had flaky skin come back twice, and both times were not related to this product. One was over-exfoliating, and other was after a bad reaction to a face mask. Otherwise, my skin has stayed pretty smooth and hasn't been too dry, even through the winter.**)

I love the texture of this stuff, and it blends into my skin so easily. I love that because I have really sensitive skin, and anything that I have to really work into my skin always leaves it feeling tender. This absorbs fairly quickly with minimal rubbing. I've used it under my eyes with no irritation, either. (**Unlike the regular version of this stuff, this one does not have a smell as far as I can tell, which is great. I do use the Hydro Boost eye gel/cream around my eyes, but I lost it for about two weeks recently and used this instead, and it worked out great.**)

Now, I still get a little dry (possibly hormonally), but nothing like before. My makeup goes on smoother and looks better, my skin feels better, it looks better, and my only complaint is the jar. Unless I develop a negative reaction to this at some point, I will definitely repurchase it when I run out. (**As I said, I have repurchased this and plan to in the future, unless I randomly come across something I like better. I use this mostly at night, now, but also during the day if my skin is feeling particularly dry. When it is very dry and I use this under makeup, I apply a generous amount with a clean, damp makeup sponge to avoid getting those tiny irritating flakes. I am still annoyed by the jar packaging, but I just make sure to always use clean hands.**)

on 2/19/2018 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried this moisturizer for a week. What I did was use a small amount and pat it on damp skin then lock everything in with my usual lotion/moisturizer. Result was pretty bad, skin was drier and tighter. Some redness and whiteheads appeared. I then tried using my usual moisturizer without adding the Hydro Boost Gel-Cream underneath for another week and the difference was noticeable. My skin wasn't dry or tight. It felt comfortable like it used to be before adding this product! So I'm now back to my usual routine.

Do take note I'm not using any active and it's the end of winter here but it's not that cold/harsh. Maybe this will work better during very hot/humid summer. But for me that's useless to use it for only one part of a season since I wouldn't be able to finish the whole jar. Honestly, I wouldn't repurchase as I noticed an increase of clogged pores/whiteheads and also the constant redness and skin that felt uncomfortable. This product didn't help with hydration at all. The texture of this moisturizer is the only positive thing as it glides on easily and absorbs well.

Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Cetearyl Olivate, Polyacrylamide, Sorbitan Olivate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone/vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Synthetic Beeswax, C13-14 isoparafin, Dimethiconol, Carbomer, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, C12-14 pareth-12, Sodium Hydroxide

on 1/17/2018 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Im a fan of water base moisturizers but this one did not do it for me. Not moisturizing enough especially because of the winters. Smells and feels good packing it cute just didn’t do the job for me. I’ll try it again in the summer .

on 9/25/2017 11:16:00 PM