Besame Brightening French Vanilla Face Powder

No Image

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I use this under my eyes and it is my holy grail. It does that Kardashian type brightening and lighting and the banana powder I bought was too yellow but this works great. I don't feel dressed without it. It seems expensive but smart packaging and dispensing has this listing forever. Love it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I love this powder.. on my NC42 skin tone there is no white patches or flash back in photos. I just wish it didn't cost so much for such a little container. It is spill proof as long as you keep both plastic tops on. Its a quality product.

on 10/5/2015 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I decided to buy this product as a little bit of "retail therapy." It is a good thing that my local Sephora had only some powders from the Besame line, the Vanilla and the French Vanilla loose powders. If there had been more of a product line, the damage may have been substantial to my bank account...

I have been wanting to try out this brand for a while, and I suppose eventually I will get the cream rouge or a lipstick. The retro style and tiny sizes remind me of my mother's makeup items from long ago. I opted to get a little pot of powder because it was just so lovely. I played with the powder at Sephora, and it has a lovely soft vanilla smell, not too overpowering, and while translucent, it has a yellow undertone that suits my skin color.

The product is a little bit more expensive than I normally would pay for, but for $22, you get 0.21 ounces of powder. High end powders like Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown and so forth are in that range or more per unit cost. The Besame product itself has a pretty limited ingredient list--less is more!--and is made in the US. The container is a plastic jar with a lovely red screw-on lid with the Besame flower design. What I like is that the inner cover with the perforations to sprinkle out product also has a cover on top, so that once you remove the sticker over the holes, the second cover keeps the product from flying all over. Then you get a cute little puff. I wouldn't use the puff for setting a full-face makeup application, but for touch-ups after blotting.

While I am a bit shocked at myself for spending this much money on a makeup item, it is beautiful and unique and makes me feel slightly glamorous. I love the creator's aesthetic and desire to recreate some of the glamour and class from the past.

on 2/5/2015 6:42:00 PM

UPDATE: OK, so I exchanged this for the plain Vanilla Face Pwder., just to be on the safe side. The French Vanilla looked OK over a fdt I almost never use because the shade is too light. But it would be too much over my regular fdts, especially in daylight. The Vanilla looks better. It's really a very nice powder.

Sephora carries this brand now. Not all the products, just the powders. There's the Brightening Violet Powder, the Brightening Vanilla Face Powder, and this one, the Brightening French Vanilla Face Powder.

I asked the SA what the difference between the last two was and she said the French one is more yellow-toned. Since I am very yellow (I must descend from lemons), I decided to pick this one. Our bad (both hers and mine). I read in the Sephora site that this is for medium to dark skins, while the other one is for light to medium skins. Since I am not ever mildly dark by any stretch of the imagination, maybe I made a mistake choosing this shade (that bloody awful store lighting!). I will wear it in broad daylight and if it's too dark I'll exchange it for the other one.

Per Sephora's description

"What it is:
A velvety soft face powder with a yellow tint that controls redness and leaves behind a delicate vanilla scent.

What it does:
Tone down redness, bring warmth to the complexion, and create a velvety soft, matte finish with Besame’s French Vanilla Face Powder. Ideal for medium to dark skin, this powder leaves a subtle, vanilla fragrance, and it can be worn alone, over foundation to set, or just around the eyes to brighten up dark circles—without caking or leaving behind residue."

Speaking of the power itself, It is a very, very nice finishing powder. Very silky and fine milled. I'm not sure it mattifies, but I don't mind that because I have other powders that do that (NARS, MUFE HD). This has the slightest pearly sheen. Nothing glittery or shimmery. In fact, I would describe this as Hourglass Ambient Powder in Diffused Light, only in loose version and at a much lower price. Not that it's cheap at $22 for 0.22 oz, but it is still cheaper than Hourglass.

They say it smells like vanilla, but I didn't detect it. Then again, I just got over the mother of all colds so it could be that my nose has not quite recovered yet.

Package is 1950s-looking, very cute. Comes with a little puff, but I prefer to use my powder brush.

All in all, this is a very nice product and yes, I would repurchase.