Carmex Lip Balm

CarmexLip BalmEnter TitleLip Balm

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Menthol 0.7%, Camphor 1.7%, Phenol 0.4% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: beeswax, cetyl esters, flavor, fragrance, lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, salicylic acid and cocoa seed butter

on 11/2/2018 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite lip balm. I apply it every night before bed and it keeps my lips feeling nice and moisturized. Most importantly, it doesn't cause breakouts or clogged pores around my mouth like a lot of other lip balms I've used. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the scent and minty feeling but I'm willing to overlook these things if a product works. It's also super cheap which is a plus.

on 3/8/2018 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in the tube variant. Tube packaging is my favourite as opposed to pots which are unhygienic and sticks which tend to be drier.

Product feels good and performs well upon first application - I love that tingling sensation. I'm not so much a fan of the shiny look, which is mainly caused by over-application; however, even though I've learned to control how much product I'm using, I still find that it's very easy for this lip balm to turn into a gloss, even if you use a small amount. This is what you get with tube balms, though, because of the nature of the packaging - it has to be squeezable, not completely solid, so the tube balm obviously has more give than the other variants because of this.

If you apply well (i.e. sparingly), this product does sink in and leave your lips plumper and a little softer. That effect wears off quickly, though, and you're back where you started, and you're stuck in the cycle of reapplying every hour or so depending on your habits and activities (rubbing lips together a lot, talking a lot, eating/drinking etc etc will of course mean the balm wears off more quickly). I haven't noticed any positive long-term effects on my lips despite using this every night before bed (will try the Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 soon and see how it compares in this regard).

I've resolved to using this in the mornings as a prep for my lipstick: I apply after cleansing and moisturising, do my makeup, and then blot off any excess Carmex before lip product application. My lips are smooth and supple and ready for my matte lipsticks.

TL;DR: Works well, but not for what I initially purchased it for. Good for prepping lips for lipstick.

I have a few spare tubes lying around, so I'll use them up. I'll probably purchase again - not out of necessity, but because it's so cheap and has a nice short-term effect. Still searching for a lip balm that has a positive effect in the long term and/or as an overnight treatment.

on 2/20/2018 4:58:00 PM

I use this product when i feel that my lips are very dry & cracking because i like the tingy feeling it gives me, lets me know that it's working. I ALWAYS have atleast one Carmex product on me at all times.

on 2/3/2018 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought if for the great reviews, sadly it did nothing to my lips. One major fail is that I find it terribly non spreadable.....I have the tube version and have to smear again and again on my lips for the product to come out and to apply evenly. Once applied, it stays as a layer of wax on my lips, which dry out hour later. Will not repurchase again..... Blistex are way better. Carmex has also a slight medication scent to it, but it didn't bother me.

on 1/25/2018 5:39:00 PM

A thousand times yes to Carmex. Not entirely fond of the medicated scent but also not entirely opposed to it. I love how hydrated my lips feel after using Carmex products. They don't disappoint me. They also don't leave a weird waxy feeling to my lips.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think we're twins with KeithRichards. I've also got contact dermatitis, though only on the outer half of my lips and the skin around my mouth. One day my husband (husbands usually do not notice much, do they?) commented on a bad rash that I had all around my mouth. Carmex was the only new product that I've used on/around my lips at this time. It took a bit more than a week for my lips to heal once I stopped using this lip balm.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Sometimes skin allergies develop only after repeated exposure to certain ingredients. I used to use this all the time because it was the only thing that worked for me, but now whenever I use it I get a really bad case of contact dermatitis all over my lips - red rash, little bumps, intensely itchy, only benadryl helps and it can take weeks for it to go away completely... Just something to be aware of for those with sensitive skin or who have allergies to other ingredients already. Carmex also tastes very medicinal to the point of unpleasantness, which isn't very glamorous is it? :) But I wish this still worked for me because it was the only lip balm that did.

on 11/2/2017 4:58:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is the only product that can battle my dry lips during the cold Swedish winters. I swear by it.

on 8/13/2017 1:10:00 AM

I've been using this product for 13 years! living in Atlantic Canada most of my life this has saved me many times winter and in the summer from the heat . As soon as I run out , I make my way to shoppers to get more

Carmex appears to be an age old favourite but it just did not work for me. I had the tube version and had many problems with the product.

First and foremost was the formula - it was oily and didn't seem to help moisturise my lips at all. In the winter when I had super dry, chapped lips, applying it didn't really soften and ease the dry skin - instead it kind of just went over the top and while it was nicer than not applying anything at all, my lips were still chapped but now with a film of scented grease on top. This is never the case with a variety of other lip balms (e.g. Nivea repair & protect, Burt's Bees) so surely this couldn't be just me? After a while when the layer of Carmex would eventually wear off, my lips were left no less dry than it was before I applied.

The other problem was with the packaging. The applicator was okay when used, but overtime formula accumulated around it and trapped dust and dirt, making it less than pleasant to use. Also, although the product has a nice scent, the taste was odd and moreover the product for some reason comes off into your mouth easily, so became pretty gross after a while.

Popular Lip Treatments