Carmex Lip Balm

CarmexLip BalmEnter TitleLip Balm

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Menthol 0.7%, Camphor 1.7%, Phenol 0.4% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: beeswax, cetyl esters, flavor, fragrance, lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, salicylic acid and cocoa seed butter

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think we're twins with KeithRichards. I've also got contact dermatitis, though only on the outer half of my lips and the skin around my mouth. One day my husband (husbands usually do not notice much, do they?) commented on a bad rash that I had all around my mouth. Carmex was the only new product that I've used on/around my lips at this time. It took a bit more than a week for my lips to heal once I stopped using this lip balm.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Sometimes skin allergies develop only after repeated exposure to certain ingredients. I used to use this all the time because it was the only thing that worked for me, but now whenever I use it I get a really bad case of contact dermatitis all over my lips - red rash, little bumps, intensely itchy, only benadryl helps and it can take weeks for it to go away completely... Just something to be aware of for those with sensitive skin or who have allergies to other ingredients already. Carmex also tastes very medicinal to the point of unpleasantness, which isn't very glamorous is it? :) But I wish this still worked for me because it was the only lip balm that did.

on 5/25/2016 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Carmex is just way too irritating. I don't know if it is the amount of camphor and menthol in here or something else, but this is one of those lip balms for me that made my lips feel worse as time went on. It also stung just after application. I thought it was just the minty ingredients, but it was more than that. I am glad this works so well for so many others, but this is soooo not my friend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of this little pot or tube! It has prevented cold sores and keeps my lips moisturizer at night. I only use it at night and have prevented chapped lips. I cannot recall the last time I had chapped lips! Great deal-great product.

on 8/24/2015 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Carmex has been a staple for me since I was in high school. I love the smell and most of all I love how soft it makes my lips. No other lip balm has worked as well as this one, not even Vaseline. If my lips are getting really chapped Carmex works a treat and it's always floating about in my handbag.

Remember that it doesn't have any sun protection in it so be careful if you're using this during the day. Your lips need to be protected too so layer over a lip balm with sunscreen in it if you're out and about. Also, it has camphor in so don't put it on broken or red skin - it'll burn like the Dickens. I made the mistake of putting it under my poor red nose when I had a cold like I do with Vaseline. Ouchy mama. Don't do it.

Carmex also works really well on cuticles as an intensive moisturiser. Great product and I'll always have it!

on 8/6/2015 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I agree with the previous reviewer. I hate this stuff. It's basically Vaseline (petrolatum) with camphor (an irritant) and menthol (another irritant), and it has an awful smell. I knew someone who always carried this junk around and swore by it. He'd stick his finger in it (without washing his hands) and apply and then magnanimously pass it around and share his germs with everyone. And guess what? If he had a cold, everyone caught it. And everyone smelled like camphor and menthol. And you may wonder what the F phenol is.

According to thefreedictionary.com

phenol [feŽnol]
1. an extremely poisonous compound, used in dilute solution as an antimicrobial, anesthetic, and antipruritic. Ingestion or absorption through the skin causes symptoms including colic, local irritation, corrosion, seizures, cardiac arrhythmias, shock, and respiratory arrest. Phenol should be properly labeled and stored to avoid accidental poisoning. Called also carbolic acid. [Carbolic is where they get the name CAR-mex.]

Carmex has a warning: Apply to lips not more than 3 to 4 times daily.

[BECAUSE THIS IS BAD FOR YOU.]

While the petrolatum, beeswax, lanolin (which is basically sheep fat), mineral oil and cocoa butter will lock in moisture, Aquaphor (petrolatum) is better because it doesn't contain irritants. Vaseline lip balm is better, too. Burt's Bees lip balm is better than this. Anything that doesn't contain poison is better. And you can find vegan lip balms if that's your thing.

INGREDIENTS:

Camphor1.7% , Menthol0.7% , Phenol0.4%

Inactive Ingredients

Petrolatum , Lanolin , Cetyl Esters , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter , Mineral Oil , Beeswax , Flavor, Salicylic Acid (exfoliant)

The Skin Deep Database rated this a "moderate" overall hazard based on ingredients. Other HIGH concerns: Multiple, additive exposure sources, Miscellaneous, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Occupational hazards, Persistence and bioaccumulation;
Other MODERATE concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Enhanced skin absorption, Data gaps, Ecotoxicology

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I know many people are very skeptical and apprehensive when it comes to reviews. You don't know if it will always be reliable! But trust me, this review will be an honest review of my experience with this lip balm. I have suffered from dry lips and skin in general for a very long time. I don't know what causes it, and I haven't bothered going to a dermatologist. I have tried almost every lip balm I could get my hands on: Burt's Bees, Chapstick, EOS, Aquaphor, etc. All of these brands felt amazing while the product was on my lips. But as time went on and the product started wiping away, I was left with even drier lips. Then I found Carmex (in the tub, I personally find it more effective than the one with the tip applicator) and this has been my holy grail. It has saved my lips through humid, dry environments, and every season in the year. It has a nice cool, tingly feeling. I love the way it feels on my lips and I always put it on before bed. It's so nice, because it's a product I don't have to apply every hour. More like every 4 hours? It's not sticky, and it has just the perfect consistency. A tub lasts me a long time, and it's cheap!

A GREAT TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!: I love wearing lip products with color whether it be a lip stain or lipstick. But i find a lot of them to be very drying when I wear them alone. So what I do, is I mix a generous amount of carmex and the lip color together and depending on how much carmex you use, the lip color is very pigmented! Now I can have colorful, soft lips. This is just my experience with carmex. It might not work as well for others, but it is worth the try. You never know until you try!

on 5/29/2015 6:36:00 PM

Best lip balm. Can't live without the cherry version!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

made my lips feel very sticky, didn't like it :(

on 6/11/2014 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Carmex did not work for me. First of all, I didn't like that it came in a pot instead of a stick or a tube. Second, it created this weird sort of rebound effect where the more I used it the more I had to use it. My lips would feel dry. I'd apply the Carmex. My lips would feel better. The Carmex would wear off. My lips would feel dryer than they did before. I would apply more Carmex. It was like "lip crack" or something! Never Again! Now I use Nivea's A Kiss of Milk & Honey and my lips are perfect.

Top Rated Lip Treatments