Carmex Lip Balm

CarmexLip BalmEnter TitleLip Balm

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Menthol 0.7%, Camphor 1.7%, Phenol 0.4% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: beeswax, cetyl esters, flavor, fragrance, lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, salicylic acid and cocoa seed butter

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My favourite beauty product ever!! I love the smell and texture of it and it stays on your lips and protects them from the coldest weather. It tingles a bit which is nice. I always have this in my bag and it's much better than vaseline as it's thicker, almost like wax.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think we're twins with KeithRichards. I've also got contact dermatitis, though only on the outer half of my lips and the skin around my mouth. One day my husband (husbands usually do not notice much, do they?) commented on a bad rash that I had all around my mouth. Carmex was the only new product that I've used on/around my lips at this time. It took a bit more than a week for my lips to heal once I stopped using this lip balm.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I've been using Burt's bees mint lip balm for the last couple of years and recently, it seemed to have lost its efficacy. My daughter suggested we try Carmex so at a whim, we got one each. I'm pleased to say, it works better at relieving dry cracked lips. I'll be keeping one in my work bag too. It's great for my ultra dry lips.

This is amazing!!!!!!!!! I'm hooked. I don't know if my lips are addicted to lipbalms (it's purely psychological bs!), this is my fave lip balm. I can count on it. It's reliable. It's an old friend esp when I have fever blisters. The stick is rather unpleasant w the SPF as it tastes bitter but this just is distinctive flavored i can't describe it. It's kind of spicy & minty, totally proprietary & unique. It heals lips. It heals when u got a cold & ur nose gets red & sore I put it on there. I use it as a cuticle cream somexs. It's a dollar! Enough w me, try it, or try it again! :-)

on 10/26/2016 7:49:00 PM

The thought of running out of Carmex brings me out in a cold sweat. I've tried scores of other lip balms at all sorts of prices but nothing holds a candle to proper original Carmex in a tin. I only need to apply it two or three times a day, it feels lovely and tingly and the smell is divine. It doesn't bring me out in spots round my lip line or make lipstick slide off and even in a -10 Celsius winter it kept dry crusty blee at bay. Unfortunately I've found that the other formulations (cherry, tube, stick) are not as good, which is a shame as I love the idea of cherry Carmex and the other types of packaging are more hygienic/portable, but I'm prepared to wear my Carmex bulge with pride and spend a few minutes messing about with a cotton bud to keep the tin clean. Honourable mention to the lime flavour stick formulation, though, randomly it's the best of the rest and way superior to the 'original' stick formula. The Peanuts tins have taken me a long way towards achieving self-actualisation.

on 5/30/2016 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Easily this is the best lip cracking-curing product I have tried. It is intense and hubby hates when I wear it and kiss him but it is needed!! I can get very dry skin in certain climates and this helps x100000.

on 5/25/2016 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Carmex is just way too irritating. I don't know if it is the amount of camphor and menthol in here or something else, but this is one of those lip balms for me that made my lips feel worse as time went on. It also stung just after application. I thought it was just the minty ingredients, but it was more than that. I am glad this works so well for so many others, but this is soooo not my friend.

on 3/13/2016 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This was my go to lip balm for a long time. I bought it in the stick version because I dont like anything in pots cause of the mess. Its a very menthol tasteing and feeling product. Its cheap, price wise. I just wish it didnt smell quite so medicine like. I had put it on a work one day and a coworker asked who had just put on Bengay :-(

on 8/6/2015 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I agree with the previous reviewer. I hate this stuff. It's basically Vaseline (petrolatum) with camphor (an irritant) and menthol (another irritant), and it has an awful smell. I knew someone who always carried this junk around and swore by it. He'd stick his finger in it (without washing his hands) and apply and then magnanimously pass it around and share his germs with everyone. And guess what? If he had a cold, everyone caught it. And everyone smelled like camphor and menthol. And you may wonder what the F phenol is.

According to thefreedictionary.com

phenol [feŽnol]
1. an extremely poisonous compound, used in dilute solution as an antimicrobial, anesthetic, and antipruritic. Ingestion or absorption through the skin causes symptoms including colic, local irritation, corrosion, seizures, cardiac arrhythmias, shock, and respiratory arrest. Phenol should be properly labeled and stored to avoid accidental poisoning. Called also carbolic acid. [Carbolic is where they get the name CAR-mex.]

Carmex has a warning: Apply to lips not more than 3 to 4 times daily.

[BECAUSE THIS IS BAD FOR YOU.]

While the petrolatum, beeswax, lanolin (which is basically sheep fat), mineral oil and cocoa butter will lock in moisture, Aquaphor (petrolatum) is better because it doesn't contain irritants. Vaseline lip balm is better, too. Burt's Bees lip balm is better than this. Anything that doesn't contain poison is better. And you can find vegan lip balms if that's your thing.

INGREDIENTS:

Camphor1.7% , Menthol0.7% , Phenol0.4%

Inactive Ingredients

Petrolatum , Lanolin , Cetyl Esters , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter , Mineral Oil , Beeswax , Flavor, Salicylic Acid (exfoliant)

The Skin Deep Database rated this a "moderate" overall hazard based on ingredients. Other HIGH concerns: Multiple, additive exposure sources, Miscellaneous, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Occupational hazards, Persistence and bioaccumulation;
Other MODERATE concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Enhanced skin absorption, Data gaps, Ecotoxicology

on 3/8/2015 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The best for dry, chapped lips. I've tried so many. Dr Hauschka's is very similar, but a lot more expensive. I also don't mind the smell at all, in fact I prefer it over fruity balms, which I can't really deal with. Bottom line, this one really works!