Carmex Lip Balm

Carmex Lip Balm
CarmexLip BalmEnter TitleLip Balm

Price: $

Price: $

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Menthol 0.7%, Camphor 1.7%, Phenol 0.4% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: beeswax, cetyl esters, flavor, fragrance, lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, salicylic acid and cocoa seed butter

on 8/17/2018 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I bought, tried, and ultimately won't repurchase again:

Jack Black's Intense Therapy Lip Balm
Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip Balm
Smith's Rose Salve
ChapStix (mint, original, strawberry)
Nivea Lip Care
Dr. Hauschka's Lip Care Stick
Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
Lucas Paw Paw Ointment
eos Lip Balm

As you can see... I'm picky (understatement). Lucky for me, I picked this beauty up out of curiosity at the dollar store, and LOVED IT!!

For me, Carmex (in the TIN, NOT the tube) will be the the best in terms of consistency, moisture, and feel. I find that lip balms in tubes aren't moisturizing enough which is why I have better luck with balms in tins, but even so, they can be too slick for my taste. This is very moisturizing without being sticky or obnoxious, has the right amount of slip and shine, no discernible color, and one tin lasts me for YEARS. AND, it costs me TWO DOLLARS at most.

As a product junkie I am always curious about what things people like to use, but I know THIS is my HG and I won't deviate from repurchasing it time and time again.

on 3/8/2018 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in the tube variant. Tube packaging is my favourite as opposed to pots which are unhygienic and sticks which tend to be drier.

Product feels good and performs well upon first application - I love that tingling sensation. I'm not so much a fan of the shiny look, which is mainly caused by over-application; however, even though I've learned to control how much product I'm using, I still find that it's very easy for this lip balm to turn into a gloss, even if you use a small amount. This is what you get with tube balms, though, because of the nature of the packaging - it has to be squeezable, not completely solid, so the tube balm obviously has more give than the other variants because of this.

If you apply well (i.e. sparingly), this product does sink in and leave your lips plumper and a little softer. That effect wears off quickly, though, and you're back where you started, and you're stuck in the cycle of reapplying every hour or so depending on your habits and activities (rubbing lips together a lot, talking a lot, eating/drinking etc etc will of course mean the balm wears off more quickly). I haven't noticed any positive long-term effects on my lips despite using this every night before bed (will try the Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 soon and see how it compares in this regard).

I've resolved to using this in the mornings as a prep for my lipstick: I apply after cleansing and moisturising, do my makeup, and then blot off any excess Carmex before lip product application. My lips are smooth and supple and ready for my matte lipsticks.

TL;DR: Works well, but not for what I initially purchased it for. Good for prepping lips for lipstick.

I have a few spare tubes lying around, so I'll use them up. I'll probably purchase again - not out of necessity, but because it's so cheap and has a nice short-term effect. Still searching for a lip balm that has a positive effect in the long term and/or as an overnight treatment.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Sometimes skin allergies develop only after repeated exposure to certain ingredients. I used to use this all the time because it was the only thing that worked for me, but now whenever I use it I get a really bad case of contact dermatitis all over my lips - red rash, little bumps, intensely itchy, only benadryl helps and it can take weeks for it to go away completely... Just something to be aware of for those with sensitive skin or who have allergies to other ingredients already. Carmex also tastes very medicinal to the point of unpleasantness, which isn't very glamorous is it? :) But I wish this still worked for me because it was the only lip balm that did.

Carmex appears to be an age old favourite but it just did not work for me. I had the tube version and had many problems with the product.

First and foremost was the formula - it was oily and didn't seem to help moisturise my lips at all. In the winter when I had super dry, chapped lips, applying it didn't really soften and ease the dry skin - instead it kind of just went over the top and while it was nicer than not applying anything at all, my lips were still chapped but now with a film of scented grease on top. This is never the case with a variety of other lip balms (e.g. Nivea repair & protect, Burt's Bees) so surely this couldn't be just me? After a while when the layer of Carmex would eventually wear off, my lips were left no less dry than it was before I applied.

The other problem was with the packaging. The applicator was okay when used, but overtime formula accumulated around it and trapped dust and dirt, making it less than pleasant to use. Also, although the product has a nice scent, the taste was odd and moreover the product for some reason comes off into your mouth easily, so became pretty gross after a while.

Makes your breath smell good, in my opinion. keeps lips soft and smooth and perfect lip balm for kissing-not sticky but will get on his lips, loll. very cheap, i buy in bulk and use it lot through out the day. keeps lips moisturized for a long time and WORKS! LOVE.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am absolutely devoted to the Carmex brand. After having tried this product about 8 years ago, I have since attempted to use other products like Nivea lip balm, Blistex, Vaseline, etc. Yet, I always seem to come back to my beloved Carmex as it is the only lip balm that actually combats my dry, chapped lips.

Normally, I'll put this on every now and again during the day if I'm feeling dry. Also, if you put this on just before you start doing your makeup, by the time you get to doing your lips, they feel incredibly hydrated and soft which makes for easy lip liner, lipstick and/or gloss application.

Even on the days when I don't want to wear any makeup, I still need my Carmex. It acts as a slight gloss to, adding some shine to the lips.

on 8/4/2016 11:44:00 PM

This is my holy grail lip product. Not only does it protect my lips from the sun, but it helps with cold sores as well. But most importantly, it hydrates my lips and is long lasting.

on 6/28/2016 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Did nothing for my lips at all except make them more dry.

HG lipbalm. All has been said with this. Keeps my lips moisturized for the longest time. It's always carry it with me.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Carmex really does work wonders, I consider it to be a more heavy duty lip balm. I mostly use it in the winter and when my lips are really dry or cracked. I believe they are around 4 dollars here where I live so the price is fine. Because it is such a thick texture, you only need a little bit. And I find it does not wear off so easily, if I have it on and I drink water, it does not come off it really stays on the lips. Love this stuff, would definitely repurchase.

Popular Lip Treatments