Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water Photo Finish Primer WaterPhoto Finish Primer Water

3.7

Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Diamond Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate

I haven't tried this as a traditional primer, instead use it as a setting spray. I still have oily skin at my age along with fine lines and wrinkles and pores and broken capillaries - but I don't like to look "made up." Powder foundations look chalky and dry and after trying what seems like every liquid foundation in the universe, I haven't found one compatible with my skin. Enter Primer Water. After applying my powder foundation and everything but mascara, I spritz this on and my chalky powder foundation absolutely transforms. I've tried other setting sprays, simple sprayed on water and they either feel like shellac or cause my foundation to "separate" for lack of a better word. This stuff is magic and works just as well following a mid-day blotting paper touch up. My skin looks dewy and plump and my foundation looks like skin. As with all of Smashbox, it's a bit spendy, but I will not stray unless a legit dupe comes along.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I honestly didn’t think I’d like this but I do. It’s light and still effective. The only other Smashbox primer I’ve liked so far is the Primerizer, all of the other primers they have do not suit my skin at all. The primer water feels light and refreshing and leaves a soft finish on the skin, not sticky or tacky which I personally do not enjoy. Is it better than Too Faced HangoveRX 3-in-1 Replenishing Primer & Setting Spray? No, but it’s not any less effective either, and it can also be used to refresh or set makeup in addition to priming the skin. Both products are nearly identical in price but differ in fragrance. I didn’t notice a scent with the Smashbox primer however TF’s version does smell like coconut. I prefer both of these to say a MAC Fix+ type product, but that’s just a personal preference.

on 8/31/2017 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My primer obsessed teen daughter begged me to buy this for her, and once I read the ingredients, I regretted it. Water, caffeine, diamond powder, lemon oil and LOADS of preservatives. I don't see it as a primer, but it's fine as a setting spray. What a rip!!

on 6/13/2017 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Got a 30ml deluxe size of this primer water for SGD$25 and totally regretting it because I could have gotten quadruple the volume for just about twice the price point so... Anyways I'm loving this one, I have had a love-hate relationship with primers, some (I feel) did nothing for my skin and cost nukes to buy and some I feel were decent substitutes for toners and moisturizers and did not explicitly improve the spreadability, blendability and adeherence of my makeup on my skin so I had entirely banished primers from my makeup routine for a while, it was until a friend recommended this as "better than fix+" that I felt compelled to buy a primer (again) to complement my recent investment in a higher end foundation.

Pros:
- Did all of the above, I found that my makeup stayed on flawlessly for longer, and my skin felt immediately invigorated. This however is not meant to be a substitute to anyone's hydration skincare routine, just an added measure to ensure you're doing all you can to hydrate if you have savannah-like dry skin like I do.
- Gentle on eyes, mine have never been irritated by this product.

Cons:
- I cannot seem to ignore the chemical smell that comes with this one. ):
- for a price point so much higher than Mac Fix+ I was determined to find as many pros for Smashbox as I could over Mac, but I couldn't. Both seemed to work just as well, with Smashbox marginally better for my skin.
- It also claims to be usable AFTER makeup, as a refresh on the go. I found this to be untrue on my skin, it did not work at all as a setting spray nor a refresh spritz, it simply broke down my makeup if I sprayed it on after I was done with the entire affair so... did not manage to kill two birds with one purchase thus am a teeny bit upset with this one.

on 2/28/2017 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This did literally nothing at all, I just used it up for the sake of using it. Might as well have been spraying expensive water on my face.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

When I saw the hype around this product I swore it was the most gimmicky thing I had ever seen. I have tried so many setting sprays who claim to do a similar thing as this primer water and I have been disappointed every single time. My skin type is combination, where my nose and forehead are incredibly oily and the rest of my face is pretty normal. I have tried tons of different foundations, primers and setting sprays combined and nothing could endure the wrath of my oily nose. However, this my makeup friends, has won the battle. The ONLY product that can handle my oily nose is MAC Prolongwear foundation, however I have like 2948483 other foundations sitting in my drawer that look beautiful when I first apply it, then after a few hours are defeated by my oiliness. In the drawer they go and stay... To truly see if this primer water lived up to its claim, I used the one foundation that has let me down time and time again. Too Faced Born This Way foundation literally cannot not tolerate my oily nose after two hours. The makeup is completely gone off my nose by that time and the rest of my face gets pretty oily and my redness comes peaking through. AFTER ONLY 2 HOURS. I had tried this foundation with every primer and setting spray under the sun and to no avail, it continued to suck. So I brought it out of the shadows and used it with this primer water and YOU GUYS. MY MAKEUP WAS FLAWLESS ALL DAY. Just like it looked when I first applied. 8+ hours of wear and omg the foundation is on my nose, no breaking up, no caking up. Not only was it still perfectly in tact on my nose, there wasn't a sea of oil layered on top of my nose. My oils were sealed in under that amazing primer water where they should be. My skin had a nice natural glow to it after 8+ hours and looked vibrant and clean. Seriously, I am so amazed you guys. It's not a gimmick, this stuff works. Can't wait to try this with other foundations that have let me down. This primer water was definitely worth every penny!

on 10/13/2016 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I usually spray this on to give my skin a little more hydration. It helps makeup stick a little better. However, I've heard that Mac Fix + is better and cheaper so I'll try that out too. I definitely don't think it's necessary... just a nice little extra step.

on 7/24/2016 7:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

i bought this product after a lot of girls recommended it to me. it's a reallly nice, light and hydrating mist that makes your face feel really fresh if you use it as a primer and it sticks down those tiny hairs on your face as a setting spray.
however! i also own mac charged water spray and i was really disappointed to find out it is the exact. same. product. all the ingredients are the same yet macs is about $20 cheaper.
overall there is nothing wrong with this product but it's not really a fantastic setting spray and i can't justify the price.

on 7/23/2016 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I got this as a sample from Sephora. I have been using it as a primer instead of as a setting spray, and so far I like this product. With the sample size, it takes a few targeted sprays to cover the face, and it does to take a minute or so to dry. Once it dried, my face did feel hydrated but not oily (my skin is naturally very oily). Makeup went on easily after it, and I did get the sensation that it was "locked in" without dryness. It did in fact keep my makeup looking good throughout the majority of the day, and even though it doesn't say that this is a purpose of the product in the description, my skin was not as oily when using this product. Makeup did still come off easily if I brushed my face against something, though, and this didn't do anything in the way of covering pores or scarring (again, it's not intended to). I'm interested to try this as a setting spray, too. I've finished my sample, but I would definitely buy the full size product.

on 6/6/2016 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

About the only positive for this is the packaging and how finely and powerfully the mist sprays out of the bottle. I have normal to dry skin & because I'm getting into my late 30s I need to use a line/pore filling primer in areas of my face - the silicon in such primers often makes my foundation sit funny on my skin or seem like it hasn't "stuck" to my skin. When I saw a youtuber use this primer water over top of a siliconey pore filling primer to help her makeup stick, I thought all my problems were solved.

Sadly, this was not the case. This product actually seems to dry my skin out terribly when used in this manner as well as when used over the top of makeup as a setting spray. I did my normal skin care routine, waited 30 minutes for my moisturiser to sink in as normal, applied my pore/line filling primer as normal, waited for it to dry then misted the primer water over top, allowing it to dry before applying my (Armani Luminous Silk) foundation. My face felt immediately tight and dry, and as the day wore on my foundation turned into dry, scaly looking patches on my face! Never seen any product do this before.

I tried again using my much loved Too Faced Hangover primer underneath for extra moisture and tried a different foundation (Too Faced Born This Way) - it was just as bad. I am so confused how a product that everyone seems to find so hydrating can cause my skin to look like a snake skin :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong but feel like I've tried it in different ways with different product combos with the same results so it must just be my skin? I will be returning this product.