Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water Photo Finish Primer WaterPhoto Finish Primer Water

3.5

Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Diamond Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate

I haven't tried this as a traditional primer, instead use it as a setting spray. I still have oily skin at my age along with fine lines and wrinkles and pores and broken capillaries - but I don't like to look "made up." Powder foundations look chalky and dry and after trying what seems like every liquid foundation in the universe, I haven't found one compatible with my skin. Enter Primer Water. After applying my powder foundation and everything but mascara, I spritz this on and my chalky powder foundation absolutely transforms. I've tried other setting sprays, simple sprayed on water and they either feel like shellac or cause my foundation to "separate" for lack of a better word. This stuff is magic and works just as well following a mid-day blotting paper touch up. My skin looks dewy and plump and my foundation looks like skin. As with all of Smashbox, it's a bit spendy, but I will not stray unless a legit dupe comes along.

Like other reviewers, I used this more as a setting spray than a primer. It's not the "hairspray for your face" kind of spray but just something to set powder, bring everything together, etc. (I viewed it like Mac Fix+). It's fine for that purpose. I don't really like the scent when first applied but it dissipates quickly. The mist is good -- not too strong and not too fine that you have to spray a ton. The price is the main killer for me -- $32 (over $8/oz.) is not worth it for a product I don't love!

on 5/7/2017 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Like this as both a light primer and a setting spray. I got it first in a sample size, sprayed a little on my face once, thought it felt nice and then I forgot all about it. I was using Max fix plus to set my make up and I didn't think a watery spray would make a very good primer so I really couldn't think of a use for this Smashbox primer water. Then one day I was only going to put on some tinted moisturizer and I don't use primer under my tinted moisturizer but just before I put it on I thought my skin was a little dehydrated and dry. I was too lazy to go to my bathroom to put on some hydrating gel so I just dug around in my cosmetics and this little bottle of primer water caught my eye so I sprayed it on my face and skin instantly felt plumbed and less itchy/dry. Then I applied my tinted moisturizer and it went on beautifully.

It is very similar to Mac fix plus but I feel like the Smashbox water has just a little more substance to it. I sprayed Smashbox on the back of one hand and Mac fix plus on the back of the other and they both felt very similar going on and drying down but after about five minutes I noticed that the hand that had Smashbox water on it felt and looked smoother. The Smashbox pump also puts out a finer mist that spreads out more and dries faster. Still it is twice the price of Mac fix plus and I'm not sure it's twice as good. I may or may not repurchase.

on 4/6/2017 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

One of my favorite products! This spray leaves my face looking fresh and flawless all day. The only con is the price because I use it just about everyday.

on 12/30/2016 10:23:00 AM

After using half a bottle, I have a love/hate relationship with this primer!! This is a good primer, not great, but good! I use it under Bareminerals Bareskin. I really like the packaging. The spray is a very fine mist. My complaint with this product is there is something in it that causes breakouts for me big time!! Took me forever to figure it out but it's this primer!! I don't have acne prone skin but there is something in this my skin does not like!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

When I saw the hype around this product I swore it was the most gimmicky thing I had ever seen. I have tried so many setting sprays who claim to do a similar thing as this primer water and I have been disappointed every single time. My skin type is combination, where my nose and forehead are incredibly oily and the rest of my face is pretty normal. I have tried tons of different foundations, primers and setting sprays combined and nothing could endure the wrath of my oily nose. However, this my makeup friends, has won the battle. The ONLY product that can handle my oily nose is MAC Prolongwear foundation, however I have like 2948483 other foundations sitting in my drawer that look beautiful when I first apply it, then after a few hours are defeated by my oiliness. In the drawer they go and stay... To truly see if this primer water lived up to its claim, I used the one foundation that has let me down time and time again. Too Faced Born This Way foundation literally cannot not tolerate my oily nose after two hours. The makeup is completely gone off my nose by that time and the rest of my face gets pretty oily and my redness comes peaking through. AFTER ONLY 2 HOURS. I had tried this foundation with every primer and setting spray under the sun and to no avail, it continued to suck. So I brought it out of the shadows and used it with this primer water and YOU GUYS. MY MAKEUP WAS FLAWLESS ALL DAY. Just like it looked when I first applied. 8+ hours of wear and omg the foundation is on my nose, no breaking up, no caking up. Not only was it still perfectly in tact on my nose, there wasn't a sea of oil layered on top of my nose. My oils were sealed in under that amazing primer water where they should be. My skin had a nice natural glow to it after 8+ hours and looked vibrant and clean. Seriously, I am so amazed you guys. It's not a gimmick, this stuff works. Can't wait to try this with other foundations that have let me down. This primer water was definitely worth every penny!

on 8/18/2016 7:04:00 AM

I've been using the Smashbox primer water on and off for about 3 months. I keep going back to it but it just doesn't work for me. The Mac fix+ is far superior and cheaper. Smashbox primer water is basically water. It didn't do anything to help my makeup look more dewy or last longer. I've tried it on a damp beauty blender to apply foundation and it didn't do anything different that if I had just used water. I still have half a bottle left and I'm just going to give it away. It's a disappointing product.

on 8/17/2016 5:54:00 AM

After all the hype on Youtube about this product a while ago, I bought a full size of it. I agree that it´s useful to slightly dampen the skin or the beautyblender before applying foundation, and for spraying it on top of the makeup at the end to make it look less powdery and more glowy. But these are things that are also just as well doable with MAC Fix+ or many other, cheaper alternatives – I guess even some spray-on toners! I can´t say for sure if my makeup lasts longer when I use this, which means – if it makes a difference in longevity, it´s only an insignificant one. It took me a really long time to use the bottle up, so a little goes a long way, but I won´t repurchase because I found it somewhat average.

on 7/23/2016 1:31:00 PM

I bought this primer on a whim and I had high hopes for it, but it didn't really do anything for me as a primer. I didn't see a difference when wearing it and not wearing it, so on my counter it sat... until I decided to try it as a makeup refresher. It made my face feel cool and refreshed, but I feel like something a lot cheaper could essentially do the same thing (maybe a spritz of water from a spray bottle?). I'll continue to use it until it's empty, but I won't repurchase.

This is a great product for freshing up your make up look after a few hours, I would not use it as a primer though as it doesn't seem to do much for me.