Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water Photo Finish Primer WaterPhoto Finish Primer Water

3.5

Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Diamond Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

When I saw the hype around this product I swore it was the most gimmicky thing I had ever seen. I have tried so many setting sprays who claim to do a similar thing as this primer water and I have been disappointed every single time. My skin type is combination, where my nose and forehead are incredibly oily and the rest of my face is pretty normal. I have tried tons of different foundations, primers and setting sprays combined and nothing could endure the wrath of my oily nose. However, this my makeup friends, has won the battle. The ONLY product that can handle my oily nose is MAC Prolongwear foundation, however I have like 2948483 other foundations sitting in my drawer that look beautiful when I first apply it, then after a few hours are defeated by my oiliness. In the drawer they go and stay... To truly see if this primer water lived up to its claim, I used the one foundation that has let me down time and time again. Too Faced Born This Way foundation literally cannot not tolerate my oily nose after two hours. The makeup is completely gone off my nose by that time and the rest of my face gets pretty oily and my redness comes peaking through. AFTER ONLY 2 HOURS. I had tried this foundation with every primer and setting spray under the sun and to no avail, it continued to suck. So I brought it out of the shadows and used it with this primer water and YOU GUYS. MY MAKEUP WAS FLAWLESS ALL DAY. Just like it looked when I first applied. 8+ hours of wear and omg the foundation is on my nose, no breaking up, no caking up. Not only was it still perfectly in tact on my nose, there wasn't a sea of oil layered on top of my nose. My oils were sealed in under that amazing primer water where they should be. My skin had a nice natural glow to it after 8+ hours and looked vibrant and clean. Seriously, I am so amazed you guys. It's not a gimmick, this stuff works. Can't wait to try this with other foundations that have let me down. This primer water was definitely worth every penny!

on 2/2/2015 11:13:00 AM

Was skeptical, am now convinced!

This is amazing. I asked the Sephora makeup artist if I needed a primer before using the Smashbox CC cream and she steered me towards this product. She misted my skin and it gave me the lovliest glow. She said it could be used to prime the skin before makeup, can be used after makeup to set and can be used throughout the day to hydrate and keep the skin fresh. I was sold. I have used it a couple of times and so far I love it. Although there is fragrance in the ingredients, I didn't detect any scent at all, so if you're sensitive to fragrance I don't think this will be a problem. It's silicone, oil and alcohol free. Feels light and dries quickly leaving the skin dewy and radiant, but not at all looking greasy or wet. The packaging is adorable and the spray dispenses the product as an even, fine mist. I highly recommend this product.

on 5/7/2017 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Like this as both a light primer and a setting spray. I got it first in a sample size, sprayed a little on my face once, thought it felt nice and then I forgot all about it. I was using Max fix plus to set my make up and I didn't think a watery spray would make a very good primer so I really couldn't think of a use for this Smashbox primer water. Then one day I was only going to put on some tinted moisturizer and I don't use primer under my tinted moisturizer but just before I put it on I thought my skin was a little dehydrated and dry. I was too lazy to go to my bathroom to put on some hydrating gel so I just dug around in my cosmetics and this little bottle of primer water caught my eye so I sprayed it on my face and skin instantly felt plumbed and less itchy/dry. Then I applied my tinted moisturizer and it went on beautifully.

It is very similar to Mac fix plus but I feel like the Smashbox water has just a little more substance to it. I sprayed Smashbox on the back of one hand and Mac fix plus on the back of the other and they both felt very similar going on and drying down but after about five minutes I noticed that the hand that had Smashbox water on it felt and looked smoother. The Smashbox pump also puts out a finer mist that spreads out more and dries faster. Still it is twice the price of Mac fix plus and I'm not sure it's twice as good. I may or may not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After hearing Casey Holmes rave about this so much on her channel and knowing that she has the same skin type as me (oily as heck) as well as being sensitive with redness (just like me!) I knew I needed to give this bad boy a go. It's a very light mist that doesn't make the skin super drenched when first applied, only lightly damp. It dries really quickly which prevents the skin from being oily but also leaves the skin feeling so soft. It feels so refreshing and cooling without the use of menthol and I find that it actually calms my skin down a lot...I'm much less red and irritated after I spray this. My makeup ends up going on so smooth and the cakieness I usually get after foundation application is no more. Since I do balance out my skin every night by using a really thick cream I lightly spray this all over my face and neck every morning after cleansing even if I'm not wearing any makeup just to soothe my skin again and give me some light weight hydration without the grease. Although expensive, it's an amazing product that is now a staple in my makeup and morning skincare routine.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Transdermal magneisum chloride is extremely beneficial for the skin. But what I'm concerned with is the addition of calcium chloride. Is this causing more harm than good? I do find this soothing, light and hydrating. .. all without feeling heavy like other setting sprays that contain castor oil or glycerin (glycerin always tends to dry my skin out eventually) but with the calcium in it im unsure if this is a good option long term. I do feel like this has slightly lightened my hyperpigmented ezcema scarring after a day of use (perhaps the increased hydration?)

Regardless, I work in a dry office and will use this to refresh my skin throughout the day. Bought the travel size for a test run. Will update at a later date.

on 2/3/2016 8:04:00 PM

I'm bewildered about this product. I got a small size at Sephora. Basically, it's ... water. On my skin it;s exactly like water. I'm glad it works so well for others, but I won't buy this.

on 1/23/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What is this for exactly? Is it a primer or a setting spray? Is it water or does it actually have ingredients in it that set makeup in order to make it last longer? I'm confused! I have somewhat oily skin and this stuff did absolutely zero for me. I first used it as a primer and it took 5 full minutes to dry. My foundation sunk into every single pore on my face (which it doesn't do when I use a silicone primer) and looked absolutely awful. I next tried it as a setting spray and it made my makeup run down my face (it took me 20 minutes to apply everything and mere seconds to destroy it, damn it!), so it definitely doesn't work for that purpose. So I have no idea what it's actually intended to do. It didn't make my makeup last longer and actually caused an oil slick in an hour, which is sooner than if I used no powder to set my foundation. So naturally I returned this stuff to Sephora pronto. I can see no redeeming qualities to this product. I think I'm being quite generous in giving this primer water two lippies. I really should give it one (or none if that were an option). This is by far the worst product I've tried in a long, long time. I was attracted to it because it didn't have silicone and was oil free, which I interpreted as being good for oily skin. Boy was I wrong. I have no idea what skin type could benefit from this stuff. Certainly not oily gals. My makeup has never looked worse. I was glad to get back to my normal routine. I much prefer my Lorac Porefection primer and my UD All Nighter setting spray. I may decide to try MAC Fix+ in the future, but I need to recover from my experience with this primer water, which may take some time. I'm just glad Sephora has a generous return policy. I would be hugely pissed if I wasted $32 on such a sucky product that has no discernible redeeming qualities. I definitely don't recommend this product for anyone with any skin type or anyone who wears makeup of any kind, lol!

I really love smashbox... And I am a huge fan of the regular photo finish primer, but this stuff did absolutely nothing for my skin except make it a greasy mess! I wanted to love it so bad! I tried it every day for a week but I got the same result! I have oily skin and he regular primer works like a dream for me. But this stuff.... It made my skin more oily! I'm sure this would be a great product for you if you have dry skin, but oily people beware! I still love the brand, just not this product!

on 12/30/2016 10:23:00 AM

After using half a bottle, I have a love/hate relationship with this primer!! This is a good primer, not great, but good! I use it under Bareminerals Bareskin. I really like the packaging. The spray is a very fine mist. My complaint with this product is there is something in it that causes breakouts for me big time!! Took me forever to figure it out but it's this primer!! I don't have acne prone skin but there is something in this my skin does not like!!

on 8/18/2016 7:04:00 AM

I've been using the Smashbox primer water on and off for about 3 months. I keep going back to it but it just doesn't work for me. The Mac fix+ is far superior and cheaper. Smashbox primer water is basically water. It didn't do anything to help my makeup look more dewy or last longer. I've tried it on a damp beauty blender to apply foundation and it didn't do anything different that if I had just used water. I still have half a bottle left and I'm just going to give it away. It's a disappointing product.