Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water Photo Finish Primer WaterPhoto Finish Primer Water

3.5

Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Diamond Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate

I haven't tried this as a traditional primer, instead use it as a setting spray. I still have oily skin at my age along with fine lines and wrinkles and pores and broken capillaries - but I don't like to look "made up." Powder foundations look chalky and dry and after trying what seems like every liquid foundation in the universe, I haven't found one compatible with my skin. Enter Primer Water. After applying my powder foundation and everything but mascara, I spritz this on and my chalky powder foundation absolutely transforms. I've tried other setting sprays, simple sprayed on water and they either feel like shellac or cause my foundation to "separate" for lack of a better word. This stuff is magic and works just as well following a mid-day blotting paper touch up. My skin looks dewy and plump and my foundation looks like skin. As with all of Smashbox, it's a bit spendy, but I will not stray unless a legit dupe comes along.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This is a very light primer. But I prefer a lotion based or gel based one that does the job better. This primer doesn’t hold makeup very well, if I perspire a little around the nose and use a tissue to lightly absorb, the foundation moves. Also I hate waiting for the primer to dry on my face. It’s expensive but lasts you very Long. Won’t repurchase

on 11/4/2018 10:16:00 PM

This works great for dry sensitive skin!
I tried this on a whim and I love it! I have almost finished a full size bottle - it cost 37 dollars but it has lasted 6mths with daily use and I spritz at least 4 or 5 pumps on my face each time. Plus I still have about 2 oz. Left in the bottle. So I would say it's a good value.
I have used it over stick foundation, powder foundation, and tinted moisturizers and it works great over all of them. Sometimes I walk in the bathroom and just spritz some on my face to refresh my makeup throughout the day. I do of course close my eyes while spraying but it has not caused any eye or under eye irritation. I have very sensitive skin and eyes and have had zero reaction to this product. It really seals my makeup in place and helps it stay all day. When using a powder foundation (which I rarely ever do!) I use my dry beauty blender to press this spray into my skin helping peach fuzz lay flat and not hold powder.
I will definitely continue using this primer spray.
I have dry, sensitive, aging skin for reference.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I honestly didn’t think I’d like this but I do. It’s light and still effective. The only other Smashbox primer I’ve liked so far is the Primerizer, all of the other primers they have do not suit my skin at all. The primer water feels light and refreshing and leaves a soft finish on the skin, not sticky or tacky which I personally do not enjoy. Is it better than Too Faced HangoveRX 3-in-1 Replenishing Primer & Setting Spray? No, but it’s not any less effective either, and it can also be used to refresh or set makeup in addition to priming the skin. Both products are nearly identical in price but differ in fragrance. I didn’t notice a scent with the Smashbox primer however TF’s version does smell like coconut. I prefer both of these to say a MAC Fix+ type product, but that’s just a personal preference.

Like other reviewers, I used this more as a setting spray than a primer. It's not the "hairspray for your face" kind of spray but just something to set powder, bring everything together, etc. (I viewed it like Mac Fix+). It's fine for that purpose. I don't really like the scent when first applied but it dissipates quickly. The mist is good -- not too strong and not too fine that you have to spray a ton. The price is the main killer for me -- $32 (over $8/oz.) is not worth it for a product I don't love!

on 3/23/2018 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I wanted to make my make up last as I'm not one to do frequent touch ups. However with all the layers of skincare and sunscreen I figured the last thing I needed on my skin was a layer of primer. So I was intrigued when I saw this water based spray, more so as I live in the humid tropics. Unfortunately it did nothing for me as a primer. It was better as a setting spray but even then I get much better results with UD's All Nighter. And I wanted a pick me up I preferred using Caudalie's Beauty Elixir. The only plus point for me was that as it's a water based spray it will last ages.

on 1/20/2018 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I have dry skin and I don't like silicony or cream based primer, so I opted for this. I didn't expect much at first, but it did wonders with my foundation application the first time I tried it. I need all the hydration I can get and my foundation glides on smoothly and more radiant with this primer underneath. I don't normally use this as a setting spray, but you can definitely do that for added glow. Recommended.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This works beautifully on my skin. I didn't know what to expect, but a beauty manager recommended it to me and I took her word for it...so glad I did. I use this after my moisturizer, and before my foundation, and it both provides a great primer for my foundation while giving me extra glow. Like other reviewers, I read the ingredients and wasn't impressed...but I can't argue with the performance. It works for me, and I also sometimes use it to set my makeup at the end of my application. I just wish it wasn't a spray, as I like to be a bit more precise in my primer application.

on 8/31/2017 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My primer obsessed teen daughter begged me to buy this for her, and once I read the ingredients, I regretted it. Water, caffeine, diamond powder, lemon oil and LOADS of preservatives. I don't see it as a primer, but it's fine as a setting spray. What a rip!!

on 7/4/2017 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Really wanted to love this primer/setting spray/makeup re freshening spray. For me, did nothing as a primer. Okay as setting spray, but due to cost will not repurchase. No smell to the product, good it one is sensitive for fragrance. Will stick to smashbox photofinish silicone base primers for my combination skin.