Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Filtered by age: 44-55
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
Smashbox Photofinish Primer Water Photo Finish Primer WaterPhoto Finish Primer Water

3.7

Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, Caffeine, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Diamond Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I honestly didn’t think I’d like this but I do. It’s light and still effective. The only other Smashbox primer I’ve liked so far is the Primerizer, all of the other primers they have do not suit my skin at all. The primer water feels light and refreshing and leaves a soft finish on the skin, not sticky or tacky which I personally do not enjoy. Is it better than Too Faced HangoveRX 3-in-1 Replenishing Primer & Setting Spray? No, but it’s not any less effective either, and it can also be used to refresh or set makeup in addition to priming the skin. Both products are nearly identical in price but differ in fragrance. I didn’t notice a scent with the Smashbox primer however TF’s version does smell like coconut. I prefer both of these to say a MAC Fix+ type product, but that’s just a personal preference.

on 8/31/2017 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My primer obsessed teen daughter begged me to buy this for her, and once I read the ingredients, I regretted it. Water, caffeine, diamond powder, lemon oil and LOADS of preservatives. I don't see it as a primer, but it's fine as a setting spray. What a rip!!

on 5/7/2017 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Like this as both a light primer and a setting spray. I got it first in a sample size, sprayed a little on my face once, thought it felt nice and then I forgot all about it. I was using Max fix plus to set my make up and I didn't think a watery spray would make a very good primer so I really couldn't think of a use for this Smashbox primer water. Then one day I was only going to put on some tinted moisturizer and I don't use primer under my tinted moisturizer but just before I put it on I thought my skin was a little dehydrated and dry. I was too lazy to go to my bathroom to put on some hydrating gel so I just dug around in my cosmetics and this little bottle of primer water caught my eye so I sprayed it on my face and skin instantly felt plumbed and less itchy/dry. Then I applied my tinted moisturizer and it went on beautifully.

It is very similar to Mac fix plus but I feel like the Smashbox water has just a little more substance to it. I sprayed Smashbox on the back of one hand and Mac fix plus on the back of the other and they both felt very similar going on and drying down but after about five minutes I noticed that the hand that had Smashbox water on it felt and looked smoother. The Smashbox pump also puts out a finer mist that spreads out more and dries faster. Still it is twice the price of Mac fix plus and I'm not sure it's twice as good. I may or may not repurchase.

on 8/5/2016 5:51:00 PM

Meh, this is just OK. I use it with their photofinish powder foundation and don't find it changes the longevity either used under or over top of the foundation. Won't repurchase

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was really skeptical about this spray primer, which struck me as sort of gimmicky. But I'm now a believer. I purchased a trial size at Sephora and plan to buy the full size once I use up at least one of the primers I currently have "on rotation". I honestly did not think this spray would work as a primer but it totally does. I apply either on my cleansed but otherwise bare face or overtop moisturizer (depending on what foundation I plan to use on top of this). For starters, it is a lovely "wake up" spritz that feels so nice and refreshing. But it also makes a fabulous finish for whatever I apply on top...liquid foundation or CC cream both apply beautifully. What surprised me the most, though, was just how terrific my makeup, applied at 6 a.m., looked at 6 p.m. - it looked absolutely perfect with the exception of a bit of wear on the tip of my nose, but that's probably from nose-blowing (TMI, I know). I haven't yet tried it with powder/mineral foundations nor have I tried it as a setting spray but I plan to test out both of these some weekend or evening, when the results, if not great, won't matter too much. Great product from Smashbox. Now I want to try their Primer Oil (which explains exactly why I have too many primers on rotation right now!).

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Never would have looked twice at this if it was not on sale at Ulta. What a great, pleasant surprise this turned out to be!

I use this as a setting spray, and it just makes my makeup look seamless and....photo ready!!! I do not detect a scent (thank goodness!) and it does not irritate my sensitive skin. It also absorbs quickly into the skin and does not leave those little annoying water droplets like some similar sprays do. So many sprays either you get nothing if you spray too far or you feel like you have water drops dripping if I spray too close. This sprays very evenly, and a nice fine mist. I will say the bottle is kind of cheap looking, but it does perform some serious magic!

Sprays evenly and I do not get 'water drops' on my face like I do with many setting sprays (and I have tried just about all of them, pretty much gave up on them, that is why I never bothered to look at this one until it was on sale), and this also dries faster than most setting sprays that I have tried, because it is an even, fine mist.

Also, for me, it prevents the 'cake makeup' look, it hydrates but not 'too much'....yet what is *supposed* to stay matte, stays matte and this does not make me look shiny. I think this will also be nice as a cooling spray for the upcoming hot humid summer months. Very happy with my purchase. Would recommend if someone was in the market for this type of spray.

I did take a lippie off however, because for me, this did not perform what I think a 'primer' should do, and that is to make makeup last longer and/or bring out the colors more, and this did neither of that for me. But when you have 'primer' in your name, I am going to rate you as a primer, obviously!! But as a setting spray, I think this is amazing!!! I use the Smashbox poreless primer anyway, so I still *do* use a primer when I need/want one. I just use this as a setting spray, and I am very, very happy with it!!

Not a necessity in life or a makeup drawer, but definitely makes things nicer. Would re-purchase if it goes on sale again, but it is a BIT pricey for what it is, imo. But it is the best setting spray that I have tried, and I think I have tried them all, certainly ones comparable in price and even a couple d/s ones. So again, not something I think is absolutely necessary in a makeup arsenal, but I would definitely re-purchase on sale. So I marked yes, I would re-purchase!! :)

on 3/5/2016 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been through two travel size bottles of this and I have to say, just save your money and buy a cheaper primer. I think for priming purposes, it's not as good as a cream/gel primer. This did come in handy when I was in a hurry and just needed to get out the door. I'd spray my face, then brush my teeth while it dried, then start makeup. But otherwise, I'm much happier with a regular primer and won't purchase this in full size.

on 1/23/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What is this for exactly? Is it a primer or a setting spray? Is it water or does it actually have ingredients in it that set makeup in order to make it last longer? I'm confused! I have somewhat oily skin and this stuff did absolutely zero for me. I first used it as a primer and it took 5 full minutes to dry. My foundation sunk into every single pore on my face (which it doesn't do when I use a silicone primer) and looked absolutely awful. I next tried it as a setting spray and it made my makeup run down my face (it took me 20 minutes to apply everything and mere seconds to destroy it, damn it!), so it definitely doesn't work for that purpose. So I have no idea what it's actually intended to do. It didn't make my makeup last longer and actually caused an oil slick in an hour, which is sooner than if I used no powder to set my foundation. So naturally I returned this stuff to Sephora pronto. I can see no redeeming qualities to this product. I think I'm being quite generous in giving this primer water two lippies. I really should give it one (or none if that were an option). This is by far the worst product I've tried in a long, long time. I was attracted to it because it didn't have silicone and was oil free, which I interpreted as being good for oily skin. Boy was I wrong. I have no idea what skin type could benefit from this stuff. Certainly not oily gals. My makeup has never looked worse. I was glad to get back to my normal routine. I much prefer my Lorac Porefection primer and my UD All Nighter setting spray. I may decide to try MAC Fix+ in the future, but I need to recover from my experience with this primer water, which may take some time. I'm just glad Sephora has a generous return policy. I would be hugely pissed if I wasted $32 on such a sucky product that has no discernible redeeming qualities. I definitely don't recommend this product for anyone with any skin type or anyone who wears makeup of any kind, lol!

LOVE! I've tried a lot of different primers, and generally end up shiny by midday. But this really works, a couple of sprays before putting on foundation (which goes on about the same as using a liquid primer) and a couple of sprays after and I'm good without touching up or powdering until evening.

on 2/2/2015 11:13:00 AM

Was skeptical, am now convinced!

This is amazing. I asked the Sephora makeup artist if I needed a primer before using the Smashbox CC cream and she steered me towards this product. She misted my skin and it gave me the lovliest glow. She said it could be used to prime the skin before makeup, can be used after makeup to set and can be used throughout the day to hydrate and keep the skin fresh. I was sold. I have used it a couple of times and so far I love it. Although there is fragrance in the ingredients, I didn't detect any scent at all, so if you're sensitive to fragrance I don't think this will be a problem. It's silicone, oil and alcohol free. Feels light and dries quickly leaving the skin dewy and radiant, but not at all looking greasy or wet. The packaging is adorable and the spray dispenses the product as an even, fine mist. I highly recommend this product.