GUERLAIN Shalimar Souffle de Parfum

GUERLAIN Shalimar Souffle de Parfum

2.0

on 4/10/2018 7:29:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

The area in which I live got a Mecca recently. I had the opportunity to test several Frederic Maille's that had eluded me in the past.
It was food for thought. I'm not comparing a perfume like 'Parfum du Therese' to Souffle directly but sometimes a classic perfume doesn't need to do much to be desirable (its reputation precedes it) while a new one faces intense scrutiny. I find the watermelon in Souffle to be quite strong at first, but it's very engaging and well balanced. It bears no resemblance to Shalimar; Guerlain has used the pillar fragrance to attract a new audience. I love Shalimar Cologne 2015, a cross between Eau de Shalimar (discontinued) and aspects of Parfum Initial. Souffle is clever, a lovely summer cologne, one that I have used liberally in the warmest summer we have had in history. I carry the 30 ml in my handbag, it's one you can apply without it being overpowering, office, children friendly. Let's not get hung up on the Guerlain classics, they're great and I own them all, but rather think of the new additions as 'en famille' a grandchild perhaps, not restrained by the trappings of the past.

on 1/25/2015 12:58:00 PM

The previous poster is absolutely right. This has none of the mavgic of the original. It's just yet another aquatic, citrusy, boring juice that some people believe is obligatory for summer. Shalimar ozonic, laundry-like?! Sacrilege! Heresy!

Why, oh WHY, can't these companies leave classics well enough alone? Why can't they be honest and give new names to their creations when they cater to the "natural," girly, Eau de Mallrat contingent, instead of desecrating the old classics? Maybe because they need the reputation and the charm of the old classics to actually SELL the new mainstream stuff?

I knew Guerlain - as most other traditional designer companies - was going down the hill when they reformulated Mitsouko. I wrote them a terse letter and never forgave them for that.

And no, it's no good giving me excuses of any kind. That's like saying it would be ok to whitewash the Mona Lisa because it offends some bigoted cretin somewhere. It is simply NOT done. And I am adamant in my opinion.

Popular Fragrances