Hourglass Cosmetics Illusionツョ Hyaluronic Skin Tint

Hourglass Cosmetics Illusionツョ Hyaluronic Skin Tint

3.3

on 11/11/2018 6:38:00 AM

My Shade: Shell
Other shades that work for me: TF BTW Porcelain, EL Doublewear 1N2 Ecru, MAC C1.

I had heard such great things about the Hourglass brand, so was keen to try them out. I wanted to try this product as I was advised that it was a light tinted moisturiser that would give a light tint to the skin and be great for the summer. However, I - like almost every other reviewer - found that this is not at all like a tinted moisturiser but is rather a medium-full coverage foundation product which doesn窶冲 tint the skin but rather sits on it and can look quite heavy. I have worn this a few times, applied with fingers, brush and a beauty blender, but it never creates a natural finish. It has a creamy finish, but is quite thick - thicker than the Nars Tinted Moisturiser for example. It applies well though, doesn窶冲 streak or apply patchily and works both with and without primer. It lasts reasonably well, but starts to break up around the 6 hour mark. The natural oils of my face tend to break through around the 4 hour mark even when set with powder. However, I find this does emphasise the texture on my face. If you have textured skin, breakouts or acne scars, avoid this product. I also found that it actually broke me out too, which is a shame and is the ultimate deal breaker for me. Honestly, I would skip this product.

on 5/9/2018 9:08:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Not really a fan of this "tinted moisturizer". In my opinion, tinted moisturizer is a misnomer for this as it's thick, pasty and definitely looks like you have foundation on, not natural at all, and just sits on the skin. I see this recommended for dry skin quite often, which i have (dry and mature), but it made my texture issues and dry skin look worse. On the plus side, it did seem to blur my pores somewhat. It never set and was easy to rub off hours later (powder might have fixed that issue but I generally don't like using it). I would say the coverage is high-light in one coat (a little more than light), and has a satin almost matte finish on me at least. I didn't see any radiance or luminosity whatsoever. Much like their claim, it didn't feel dry on my face (although i can't say it felt hydrating either), and it didn't make me itch and red like a lot of foundations do (i have very sensitive skin). I'm NC15 in Mac, and got the color Shell, and at first it seemed too light, but then it oxidized and was almost too dark, not good.

on 5/1/2018 3:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This skin tint made me go crazy. But first, I wear the shade Shell and I'm about NC15-NC20. I tried Ivory but it looked a bit peach on me. Shell is much more neutral. Any of the warmer shades, like warm ivory, is simply too dark. I have very dry skin in the winter and dry skin in the summer.

This is very much a medium coverage foundation, not a tint (as everybody in every review here has stated). It's thick, but I apply it with my fingers and it spreads and builds pretty easily. Upon first application it looks very, very dewy. Almost greasy. But then it sets and it just looks amazing. The problem I have with it is how it looks about 2 hours in and beyond. At that stage it isn't oily, it isn't matte, and it isn't even cakey. It just looks dry AF. Like seriously. Around my mouth it looks cracked and suddenly every little bit of skin or flake I've ever had is highlighted. In the winter my whole face looks this dry. In the heat of summer, it's mostly around my mouth and between my eyebrows, while my forehead and cheeks seem fine. I wanted this to work so bad that I wore it regularly for A YEAR. I just didn't want to give up. I tried it with every conceivable primer and without a primer. I stopped powdering it. Or powdered and then used a setting spray. Or didn't powder and still used a setting spray. I even used the Hourglass no. 28 serum primer under it and it just didn't solve anything. The only real positive thing I can say about it, is that it is very longwearing. I sweat at the drop of a hat and I can blot sweat without the foundation coming off. But it just doesn't look good. I have now accepted that I can't make it work and that my skin is probably just too dry and dehydrated to wear this. I would probably say this would work for someone with normal to slightly dry skin. If you can make it work for you, well, I'm jealous.

on 12/8/2017 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I received a sample of this and I was blown away. My face had never looked as flawless and amazing, I was that impressed I pushed aside the NZ$88 price tag and made the purchase. Welllll..... Whatever was in the sample, was not in the full size product. I just can't seem to get it to work for me now. I have to use a crazy amount of product every time to cover my face as it's so thick and it seems most of it gets sucked up by my beauty blender, and I cannot use a brush with it because it is so thick it just smears it around, and leave it looking streaky. I'm also not that fond of foundations with SPF and this smells straight up like sunscreen, but like I said, it looked that amazing the first few times with the sample that I was sold! I am really disappointed. I will of course use this up but for the price point there is no way I will repurchase, it's the most expensive foundation I've ever bought by about $50 extra. Not worth it for me personally.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First of all, love the tube format. I love a good tube, because it's light, spill proof and easy to carry. Wish that all my products came in tubes.

This is supposed to be a skin tint, but for the level of coverage, it's closer to a foundation. The shade Nude is pretty spot on for me. It's also much, much thicker than other products I'm used to wear, which is why I just use a bit of it, and I don't use moisturizer because this is already quite rich in consistency, just a bit of serum. I blend it all over my face with a damp blending sponge and it covers well. I particularly like this to cover my under eye, because it's not at all drying cause it contains HA. Once blended, the finish is seamless, which I love. I set it with a powder and I'm good to go.

Now I'm oily, so of course this is not mattifying and will not remain completely set and unchanged all day; I've made peace with the concept that oils will poke through, no matter which product I use, and the fact that I always prefer moisturizing products over mattifying ones because they will help and protect my skin in the long term. This reacts to my skin issues quite gracefully. Makes me look dewy, but doesn't move around, and never looks patchy. I use retinol and AHAs and exfoliate regularly, so I don't have much issues with the texture of my skin anyway, but I don't know how that would look if I was flakey. In any case, it doesn't break out my acne-prone skin.

The smell is very faint and nice.

I would definitely recommend this if you have dry skin, because it seems like its rich consistency would really help.

on 10/1/2017 7:58:00 PM

I got a sample packet in a Sephora purchase and I really wanted to try a different foundation. I used the Hourglass Primer as suggested on the packet. I used brushes to apply my foundations not a beauty blender. This foundation definitely gives the appearance of a smoother, firmer and more youthful complexion. My fine lines and wrinkles, tightens the appearance of sagging skin, and delivers an unbelievably luminous glow. I also use Cover FX glow illumination as an addition for a more glow appearance. My sample was Ivory but I could be a tad darker to hide my redness with a color corrector. Good medium to full coverage. I used NYX matte setting spray for long lasting for 7 hours, not bad. Thanks for reading!

on 2/13/2017 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Me: Olive NC20ish with dry and sensitive skin.

What I like: Not very much. I used a deluxe sample of this product and couldn't wait to wash it off my face after each use. The shade Ivory was an ok match for my skin tone. It does have a good amount of coverage if that's what you are looking for - although I have no idea why it's marketed as a skin tint when it's medium to full coverage. I couldn't test the longevity because I removed it after a few hours each time. It didn't seem to have any noticeable fragrance added which is a plus.

What I didn't like: I applied using a damp beauty blender because the product felt so thick and I thought this would give the sheerest and lightest application. Unfortunately even applying it this way, it felt unbearably waxy and heavy on my skin. For reference, foundations that I do enjoy include Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum, IT Cosmetics CC Cream and Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder. These range from quite fluid to more creamy in texture but the Hourglass is heavier than any of these. I found it more difficult to blend due to the texture - it reminded me a little of a waxy foundation stick in how it felt and blended. You might like this 'tint' if that's a foundation formula that you enjoy. However for me personally it did not look natural or skin like when applied, was hard to blend and felt awful during wear so it was an all round fail product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Though they definitely should not be naming this medium to full coverage foundation a "tint", it is amazing. I have normal skin with some dry patches and I have trouble even with some cream foundations accentuating those dry patches. This one looks completely like skin, does not accentuate anything, and a dewy finish. I barely need concealer and I do have some acne scarring. I'm NW10 in mac, and the lightest shade "vanilla" is way dark on me, this is workable with a tan but not without one. I really wish they would expand the shade line to match the vanish shade selection.

on 11/27/2016 8:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm just going to come right out and say this is the best foundation on earth. I cannot even put my love for this product into words that are strong enough to accurately portray my affection.
I am 38 years old and some fine lines and dullness have been creeping up on me. Right now I'm probably about an N20 and the shade "Nude" is perfect for me. I also use retin-a and have a lot of dry patches on my cheeks. My t-zone is prone to getting super oily and I have a huge issue with foundations making my nose oily and my pores look huge.
This foundation is excellent for aging skin. I swear it shaves at least 5 years off of my complexion! It gives a youthful glow without ever being greasy or shiny! The longevity is amazing too. I can easily get 8-10 hours wear without it breaking down or getting splotchy.
**Most importantly...my pores are non-existent when I wear this foundation! I can layer the ever-living hell out of this stuff and it never settles into pores. It literally spackles and smooths right over them like butter. All day. I can easily build up to a solid medium coverage but it looks so good and never "made-up".
To be honest, I didn't expect nor did I want to love this foundation so much. It's quite expensive! But I'm hooked. This is it. The one. My unicorn! 洶

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I am not sure why this is in the Tinted Moisturiser section, as this is definitely a foundation. Perhaps it is the 'Skin Tint' in the name that threw off whoever categorised it.

To put my review into some perspective, I have extremely dry NW10 skin that often breaks out into little eczema patches around my mouth. I am also prone to acne around my mouth due to my use of steroid cream. My skin often hurts as it's so dry, so my moisture needs are very high, and most primers and foundations marketed to dry skin are not moisturising enough for me.

My main requirements for a foundation are that it moisturises my skin throughout the day, doesn't cling to my dry patches, and has light to medium coverage as I have a good concealer that deals with my acne. I like a dewy finish, although I don't mind a soft matte finish if the foundation is super moisturising as a trade-off. I don't have issues with pigmentation, redness, or pores.

I have this foundation in Vanilla, which is the lightest shade. It is slightly too dark for me, but so long as I blend it down my neck then it looks fine. I have not experimented with using a white mixer, but I might consider this in the future as I like to match my skintone as perfectly as I can. I think this would be a perfect match for an NW15, although the lightest NC shades might be able to get away with it as well.

This is a **very very very** moisturising foundation. People with oily skin will not like it at all and I'd advise that they steer clear of it. I don't know if I'd recommend it for a person with normal or slightly dry skin, either, unless they applied a very thin layer and used powder on top. It is quite heavy and dewy, but if you're like me and appreciate a layer of moisture that sticks around, then you will like the feeling of it on your face. It stays this way all day, although I haven't used it past seven hours of wear so I can't comment on how it performs for a longer period of time. Overall this is a very comfortable product to wear on my face, which is my number one requirement.

There is little scent, so I think it would be good for people who are sensitive to fragrance. I can't comment on the ingredients list with regards to potential irritants.

Coverage-wise, I'd say that it has a medium coverage, although it's on the light side of medium. It applies well with a brush, makeup sponge (which will sheer it out more), and fingers - interestingly, I quite like the effect I get when I apply it with just my fingers.

It comes in a nice squeezy tube, which is on the smaller side.

Overall I really like this foundation, especially on my drier days when my face hurts. I would definitely recommend trying a sample of this before you buy, though, because people with any oil in their skin will probably hate it.