Almay Almay Butter Kiss #120 Red Medium

Almay Almay Butter Kiss #120 Red Medium

1 review

on 1/7/2015 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Almay is a brand that I wonder if it'll survive much longer. The product line is pretty small compared to brands like Revlon or L'oreal. "Hypoallergenic" is a pretty meaningless term because there are no actual federal guidelines for its use, and so long as I can remember, Almay has always touted the hypoallergenic. I personally think they should jazz up their ads with, how shall I say, a greater variety of "faces." I don't remember who was before Kate Hudson, but now the face is Carrie Underwood, is it? Another blond, fair-skinned woman? You see my point?

Anyway, I think that Almay has a wonderful product with this new lipstick/stick gloss. I've read a few reviews and yes, there is a bit of a gimmick to the "smart shade" line. This new lip product is visually similar to the Revlon lip butters--Revlon owns Almay, and it shows. I had 2 lip butters--Sugar Plum and Red Velvet. Sugar Plum was basically the same shade as my lips, or at any rate, it was sheer enough that my own lip color showed through. The Red Velvet for some reason turned fuchsia on me, not a good look! Also, I decided to go cruelty free from now on, so Revlon is out (tests on animals) and Almay is in. I suppose I might not be philosophically consistent because, again, Revlon owns Almay. But I am just starting on this journey.

Red Medium is similar to Revlon's Red Velvet, but in this case, the color actually stayed red on my lips and didn't morph into bright pink like the Revlon version did. This Red is a lovely, medium neutral red--a bit of warmth that keeps the red from being a KaPOW! bright color. Yup: I'm too timid for lips that enter the room before I do. The color is fairly pigmented but light and glossy though with no shimmer. I found that this shade lasted 2-3 hours on me just fine, and then I periodically drink tea or coffee and it wears off, but this shade did leave a film of stain behind, which was nice! This is a good, "safe" red for people who love red, but maybe an in-your-face shade wouldn't be appropriate for work, for example.

I prefer Almay to the Revlon: The color stayed true, the texture is smooth and not slippery, the formula is sheer and moisturizing. I have dry winter lips and I noticed that my lips were in better shape at the end of the day than when I started. Plus: the color didn't grab onto the flakes like other lip products do. Cosmetic evaluation is really subjective: we like some colors and hate others; some people love glitter, others detest it. I find these days that I look best using sheer lip products with a touch of shine. I have small, lined lips, and while I love the matte lip look, for example, the few times I've tried mattes, my mouth looked even smaller and more lined. Yuck.

This Almay product works well for me, and is all I want these days in a lip product: sheer but fairly pigmented; very very faintly scented (I prefer no scent); value-priced (I got mine at Ulta, buy 1 get one 50% off and then used my coupon so they ended up being about $3.50 each). I don't care much about packaging apart from function (does the cap stay on?) because that just gets thrown away when you're done.

Almay does need to expand it's line to include deeper tones for women of color in the very least. I don't think Almay has done a good eyeshadow for YEARS so they need to get on that ASAP. I do love Almay's foundations, though. Buff in their foundations is the best match I've ever found.

I hope they keep these new lip products in their line, with an expanded range (Deep tones, and how about adding a purple and a coral????). I've tried on ultra expensive sheer lipsticks at Sephora, so I don't understand the snobbery against drugstore brands that actually perform better. You can get 3-4 of the Almay brand for the price of a Too-Faced balm, for example. I personally love the thrill of a good bargain!