CeraVe Renewing SA Cream

CeraVe Renewing SA Cream
Renewing SA CreamRenewing SA Cream

4.5

Purified Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Ammonium Lactate, Salicylic Acid, Triethanolamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Niacinamide, PEG-100 Stearate, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3 in Corn Oil), Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Cholesterol, Phytosphingosine, Hyaluronic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Edetate Disodium, Propylparaben, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Although I do have a few (relatively minor) complaints about this product, it has become my HG body moisturizer. It is literally the best lotion/cream I've ever used...not just because of the amazing combination of ingredients it contains, but because it actually works for me. My skin tends to be dry, not in a "visibly flaky" kind of way, but in a "holy crap, my skin feels very tight and itchy because I just rinsed it with plain water", kinda way. I also have keratosis pilaris, which for YEARS I mistook for body acne. After trying countless body lotions, body creams, body butters, and even body oils, my skin just wasn't happy, even when I switched to pH-appropriate body washes and stopped using physical exfoliants (such as my beloved Salux cloth). Enter: CeraVe. I've been using the regular CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for years, but only on my face; I just didn't care for it on my body...that is, until I found Dr. Dray on YouTube, and she recommended applying the cream to WET skin fresh out of the shower. It was as close to "life changing" as a skincare tip could be for me. But, as I began browsing the CeraVe website looking for new products to try (because I basically hoard CeraVe products), I came across the Renewing SA Cream. A quick search of MUA and other reviews suggested that the SA Cream might be even *more* effective for KP than the regular cream. So, I plunked down the $22.99 + tax that Rite Aid was charging for a 12oz tub. I mean, for such a utilitarian, un-glamorous drugstore product, $23 is kind of a lot for only 12oz, but CeraVe usually has a $2 off coupon, which kinda softens the blow.

Anyway, moving on. I was anxious to try it out, so I showered when I got home, and applied the SA cream to wet skin (as per usual). FYI, when I first step out of the shower, I try to shake off the big blobs of water on my skin and air dry for about 30 seconds, but I don't even really "pat dry" or anything before moisturizing. The cream spreads very easily on wet skin, so you don't need as much product as you would use when applying to dry skin. I gave the product about 5-10 minutes to dry before dressing, and went about my day. Once the cream dried down a bit, I didn't feel greasy at all. My skin felt silky-smooth, but most importantly, I didn't have that tight, itchy feeling I normally get after a shower. My skin was just...comfortable. That was the best part, TBH, just feeling comfortable for once instead of constantly "feeling" my skin! Anyway, I continued to use the SA cream after every shower, and after a couple of weeks, I noticed that my skin was starting to look smoother and more even. As noted above, I no longer use physical exfoliants (except on areas that I wax), so the fact that my skin started looking better was kind of a surprise to me. But, this brings me to my first complaint...

CeraVe does not, and will not, disclose how much salicylic acid (SA) is in this product. IIRC, Dr. Dray reached out to them once and asked, but they would not disclose the concentration of SA in the Renewing SA Cream. I *suspect* this may be due to the fact that CeraVe has an even pricier salicylic acid cream in their lineup. The CeraVe Psoriasis Moisturizing Cream lists 2% SA on the label, but I have a hunch that it's exactly the same as the Renewing SA Cream, with a slightly different marketing twist. If my hunch is correct, obviously CeraVe wouldn't reveal that the 2 creams are identical, because everyone would simply choose the cheaper of the 2 options, ya know? Anyway, conspiracy theories aside, it still just peeves me that a dermatological skincare brand would fail to disclose the concentration of an important, active ingredient, such as SA. My other big gripe is that this formula is ONLY available in a tub. I'm aware that the stabilizing ingredients in the product will inhibit *most* microbial growth...but I'm still not comfortable taking a product in a tub to the gym locker room. Just, NO. Any product that comes in a tub, I will only use immediately after washing my hands really thoroughly. Gyms, and gym locker rooms, are such germy places that I just don't like to risk contaminating my products. Plus, who really want a huge tub of cream taking up half their gym bag? Not me.

CeraVe, if you're reading this, PLEASE offer this formula in a flip-top squeeze tube...a squeeze tube with a big opening works just fine for super thick creams, and it would be more hygienic and travel-friendly!

Finally, a little PSA: Ulta frequently has CeraVe products buy one/get one 50% off, and they charge the exact same price for the Renewing SA Cream as other drugstores (Rite Aid, CVS, etc). Stack the BOGO 50% off special with the $3.50 off $15 Ulta coupon they normally have (Google it...I don't even print it out anymore, they just scan my phone), and if you have Ulta rewards points to cash in, throw them at your CeraVe stuff, too. I just got 2 tubs of this stuff for $17 total (vs. $46 + tax at normal price), after stacking the sale, store coupon, and my rewards points! Other CeraVe products tend to be higher priced at Ulta than other stores, but this particular cream is the same, IDK why...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I hesitated for months before trying out this cream, because CeraVe's Renewing SA Cleanser and Skin Renewing Cream Serum were a huge no-no for me. The cleanser made my skin feel rough, and the gel oil broke me out in little tiny whiteheads around my mouth.

I've been using the SA cream on my face and body for about a week and so far so good! It stings my face a little upon application, as I currently have a very painful hormonal breakout on both cheeks. The cream sinks in beautifully, though, and doesn't leave me feeling ridiculously oily like other thick skincare products do. My facial skin still feels rough, but I'm not going to give up on it just yet! The fact that the cream is hydrating is what's keeping me going. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy smoother skin soon.

As for my body, I've noticed that my feet feel smoother and silkier than ever before. This is remarkable, as no other drugstore cream or lotion has done much for my rough, dry feet in the past (with the exception of AmLactin, but that lotion just doesn't sink in as nicely as this cream does). So if ever I stop using this SA cream on my face, I'll continue using it on my body for sure!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

A thick cream that works great on dry skin. I use it most on my face as it helps to keep my skin clear of dry patches and acne (I think) occurs from my very dry skin not getting exfoliated enough. I also use a lot of heavy moisturizers (CeraVe’s cream and healing ointment) and they cause breakouts over time if I’m not diligent with using something to remove the build-up of dead skin. I have found over the years that salicylic acid is my secret weapon in keeping my skin clear... I never had any issues with acne, just the occasional pimple from makeup, diet, or for no good reason, and I used to use a salicylic acid face wash a few times a week that would make any pimple I had go away in a day or two. But as I get older my skin has gotten dryer and the face wash had to go, and the creamy non-lathering cleansers I now use, although a lot less drying, don’t help at all with pimples.
The consistency is very thick, there is no way it could be put in a pump container like the CeraVe cream. I will smear a generous amount on my face and neck every other night and use the little bit of extra on my arms where I get bumps. Where it’s the middle of winter and the climate is dry, it’s not enough to make my skin feel comfortable, so I top it with a light skim of the CeraVe healing ointment, but during warmer months I get enough hydration from the renewing sa cream.
I also favor CeraVe products because of the addition of beneficial ingredents, such as niaciminide, hyaluronic acid, ceramies and other skin plumping ingredients, and they are inexpensive enough where I feel I can apply them generously without the fear or wasting product.

on 4/25/2017 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Have repurchased many times along with regular Cerave cream. (Not the lotion; I dislike Cerave lotions). I generally apply SA after the shower in the evening. I pay special attention to elbows and heels, though for really rough spots I have been using Lanislo 100% lanolin. This absorbs quickly and is not greasy. It does contain petroleum or mineral oil, I forget which, but that is not a deal breaker for me.

on 1/2/2017 4:57:00 PM

My HG. Seriously.

Since my teens, I've suffered from rough, chicken skin on my thighs and triceps areas. I tried every lotion out there, even some of the pricey glycolic acid ones. My Salux cloth helped a bit, but the skin always felt rough, itchy, and each hair follicle was topped with a tiny red dot. Ugly. Uncomfortable. Ew.

After many years, I discovered my chicken skin problem was actually pilaris keratosis. Go figure. My dermatologist prescribed various things, but none of them did much. Surprisingly, when I went gluten-free, my skin improved some, but it never really went away.

Then I tried CeraVe SA cream. I applied it after every shower, alternating between it and the thinner CeraVe SA lotion. Within 3 applications my chicken skin was GONE. The pilaris keratosis was replaced with baby smooth skin like I've never had before.

I hope they NEVER stop making this stuff.

on 9/24/2016 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this after reading many positive reviews. I have mature, sensitive, very dry, and dehydrated facial skin. I rely on my serums to hydrate, moisturize, and supply my anti-aging benefits. I rely on my moisturizer to seal in everything in, prevent hydration & moisture loss, add some moisture, and protect my skin's barrier.

What I like about the CeraVe Renewing SA Cream is:
- Great value
- Fragrance free
- Doesn't sting or irritate my sensitve skin
- Contains Hyaluronic Acid to add and seal in hydration and moisture
- Contains the ceramides to help restore and maintain my skin's protective barrier
- Contains Salicylic Acid which very gently exfoliates and helps smooth my skin

What I don't like:
- I would prefer more protective and sanitary packaging - perhaps a tube, or a pump jar
(like the Kate Sommerville products use)
- Contains Cetearyl Alcohol and Mineral Oil in its first 5 ingredients
- It most definitely doesn't play well with makeup. Even using a primer (I've tried 4
different primers with it), none of my foundations go on well over the SA Cream. Again,
I've tried it using at least 4 different foundations. I've tried using my fingers, 3 types of
brushes, my Beauty Blender, the Real Techniques, and my MAC sponges, and a
combination of brush followed by sponge application. No matter which
primer/foundation/application combination I use over the SA Cream, the results are
terrible! The foundations don't like to blend smoothly over the SA Cream. They collect in
some places, while refusing to "stick" in others, resulting in a very patchy look.

I will continue to use up the tub, which will take a very long time. Once I've used it up, I doubt I'll repurchase, unless it really wows me in the months to come. Since it performs so poorly under makeup, I now only use it on no-makeup days and at bedtime. I much prefer the Dr Jart+ Ceramidin Cream, and although it's much more expensive than the CeraVe SA, I think it's worth the money for my face. I haven't tried the CeraVe SA on my body because it's so very thick, but I will give it a try on any dry or rough patches.

on 5/21/2016 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My dermatologist initially recommended that I use this cream to help clear mild keratosis pilaris on my arms. The cream quickly cleared the keratosis and has continued to keep it in check for three years now, as I continue to use the cream every other day or so.

I apply the cream to my arms, chest, neck, and feet after showering. Beyond helping the keratosis, the cream has been deeply nourishing for my very dry skin. It keeps rough spots like elbows and feet soft and smooth. I love this stuff. I've used it for 3+ years and will continue to use.

The only cons are 1) that it comes in a jar, which isn't my favorite packaging option, and 2) I'm always a little pained by the ~$25 price tag that I have to face every few months. But a tub does last for months, and you are definitely getting what you pay for.

Definitely will repurchase, and definitely recommend, especially as a treatment for keratosis.

on 4/7/2016 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim to try to fix the acne on my back and upper arms, as I got tired of acne sprays. It started clearing up those problems right away and I love how soft it leaves my skin-especially after shaving (and fragrance free!) . On super dry Chicago days, I still have to follow with my Eucerin but most days, the SA Cream is great. Only caveat-besides the price-is the jar packaging, which makes the ingredients less effective over time and isn't hygienic. Here's hoping they introduce this in a pump bottle soon!

on 3/6/2016 2:57:00 PM

I started using this after developing some stubborn bumps on my legs that weren't responding to glycolic acid or manual exfoliation. I use quite a few CeraVe products in my routine and my skin responds well to them. I've been using the lotion version for about 2 weeks daily and already have significant improvement; the small bumps have diminished by more than half and my skin is very smooth and soft. I've even used it on my face as I have a spot of psoriasis and the combination of vitamin D and SA seem to be helping quite a bit. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been eyeballing this for the better part of a year. I'd go into whatever store carried it, pick up the tub, think about it, and ultimately put it back on the shelf. Not entirely sure why. Just something about the ingredients kept scaring me off. I think maybe it was the mineral oil (not paranoid about it; just....seemed like it might be too greasy is all).

Now that I've finally taken the plunge, I can easily say this is one of my two favorite CeraVe products. It combines the best things about my OTHER favorite CeraVe moisturizers: namely, the inclusion of ingredients such as niacinimide, salicylic acid, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and other humectants/occlusives, all in one product. It's also in the right pH range to exfoliate skin.

End result is insanely soft, moisturized, gently exfoliated skin. Texturally, this might be a bit polarizing. I personally happen to prefer moisturizers that stay on long after initial application, as evidenced by the slightly tacky, dewy layer that lasts all night when I use this. I've sampled expensive overnight masks from other brands and this does just as well, albeit far more cheaply (though it's more expensive than the rest of the CeraVe line).

Highly recommended for folks who do well with other products from CeraVe. That said, if their products tend to give you breakouts or cause other issues, I'd probably avoid this completely.

Popular Lotions / Creams