L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation

L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation

3.7

Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Nylon-12, Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Silica, Butylene Glycol, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Isohexadecane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Pentylene Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates Copolymer, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Calcium Gluconate, Perlite, Magnesium Gluconate, Tocopherol, Aluminum Hydroxide +/- (CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

EDIT 11.02.2016: Nothing has changed other than I now use a Beauty Blender to apply it instead of my fingers. I still love this as much as ever :). Continues to be my HG foundation.

EDIT 5.05.2016: Still loving this stuff. On 8th? tube now. Haven't felt compelled to try anything else. It just works THAT well.

EDIT 7.29.2015: This is kind of important so I'm putting at the top. I have the attention span of a gnat and the loyalty of whatever creature is fundamentally disloyal — a cat, perhaps? — and well, I ran out of this stuff the other day.

And you know what? I didn't even think about trying anything else, which I'm normally inclined to do when I run out of something. Nope, I went and bought a replacement tube of this stuff. I even did it before I ran out! THAT is how much I love this foundation.

Holy grail is when you don't even bother looking for something else and this is that for me. Just, you know, be mindful of a few caveats, which I address below.

===

This is a foundation that's been on my radar for months. I really wanted to try it, but every time I was at a store that carried it, I couldn't decide which shade to get. It comes in a squeeze tube with a window in the middle, but it's hard to tell what the actual shades are from the window, which is only semi-transparent. You get a sense of the shade, but you can also tell that the window is simply too matte to provide an accurate view.

Thanks to the window, there's also not a great deal of differentiation between the shades, at least the ones that I was considering (101, 102 and 103). I think I must have contemplated buying this over a dozen times and left empty-handed just as many times.

After much hand-wringing, I FINALLY decided on 102 (Sand Beige) after deciding that 101 would be too light (I'm pale, but never the lightest shade of any line, so a logical and reasonable elimination) and the store I was at was out of 103, thus taking away that one as a possibility as well. Fortunately, 102 turned out to be an excellent match (I'm NW20 in MAC and 115 in MUFE HD, if that helps anyone else work out a good match).

YAY, FOR PROCESS OF ELIMINATION!!!

In terms of long-wear foundations, I've been using Revlon's ColorStay for awhile, the new MAC long wear waterproof nourishing one for about a month, and I gave Estee Lauder's Double Wear a fair shot (really liked it, but it wasn't quite right for my needs -- a bit too heavy).

ColorStay and MAC have been the two in current rotation. I love both of those, so to find something else that I love even more is insane. But yup, this is the one that at least in early days, is edging out both of them to become what is very likely to be my favorite.

Why? A few reasons:

1. This is the most important one. It simply looks the best going on AND at the end of a long day. For me, MAC looked best going on initially; ColorStay looked the best at the end of the day; the L'Oreal somehow manages to look the best out of the three under all conditions. It also held up through a 3-mile run.

2. It sets really quickly. Faster than any other foundation I've ever used. This is both a pro and a con, but I'm putting it in the pro bucket because it speeds up my routine noticeably. Yes, you have to work quickly to get it on (I'm using fingers for now because trying to work with a brush or sponge with such a quick formula is intimidating!), but it also means that you can get going with other things (like putting on blush, getting out of the house, etc.) much sooner.

3. It feels the lightest and most skin-like of the three but also provides great coverage and is dry to the touch.

4. It's mattifying, which means It works great with my overall routine. I always apply serum/retinol, moisturizer(s), high SPF sunscreen (shiny!) and primer before foundation. That has caused some otherwise perfectly lovely foundations to choke (especially the sunscreen layer, which I refuse to go without), but this one holds up like a champ.

IMPORTANT!! if you have skin that's dry or prone to dehydration, keep in mind that this is a *matte* formula, and is inherently more drying than your standard foundation. As such, it may not be ideal for your skin type, especially if it's truly dry and/or patchy.

I am prone to dehydrated skin myself, but keep it at bay with lots of moisturizing. I'm able to make this work for me because of my overall routine (as noted earlier, I'm layering on a lot of stuff beforehand and it actually makes my skin closer to oily/combo as far as makeup application goes).

Highly recommended, especially if you can figure out the right shade (tricky, thanks to the lack of testers and not very helpful packaging, plus the shade range is admittedly limited).

On that note, I recommend picking this up only from a place that has a liberal return policy (Walgreens is a good choice if they're having a BOGO sale; BB&B has a lower base price if L'Oreal isn't currently on sale at Walgreens. Some Targets may be willing to open up a tube for testing but not sure if that's a universal policy; also not sure what their return policy is but hopefully it's fair).

EDIT 6.24.2015: Did I mention that this stuff dries incredibly quickly? I'm pretty sure I did, but it bears another mention. I've found it helps to pretend that there's a baby on a conveyor belt and you have a minute and a half to save the mewling creature from hitting the choppy end. For some reason, you can save the baby by applying your foundation insanely fast.

You're welcome, because this is totally helpful information.

on 1/3/2015 11:33:00 AM

This foundation is amazing! I have lots of broken capillaries, redness, spots, and uneven skin tone and combo oily skin and I'm 58 years old. I have to wear medium-full foundation that stays put and doesn't rub off and one that helps keep oilies at bay. This foundation does all of that without looking cakey and fake. It also minimizes pores, in my opinion. The coverage is excellent and I even use it as my under eye concealer and on my eyelids as a shadow primer, thus eliminating the need for those extra products. It glides on beautifully, covers instantly, doesn't look flat. I brush a little of the matching pressed powder from this line and I'm set. On workdays, I put on my makeup at 6 am and it has to get me through a long work day and commute and it stays put. I usually blot my t-zone around late afternoon, but that's it. Kind of pricey for drugstore foundation, but worth it. The color range is limited and it's hard to tell the actual shade of the foundation from the tube and the illustrated swatches, but I lucked out, however, L'Oreal should consider broadening the color range.

This is my HG DRUGSTORE Foundation! I was quite skeptical about this foundation at first, because most drugstore foundations, if not all tend to lean more pink-toned than yellow. Like I had mentioned in two of my other foundation reviews, I'm one of those unfortunate people who can only buy oil free foundations because any foundation that has oil, oxidizes and turns orange or darker on me. And it's because of this reason I started to use BB creams more than foundations. This foundation gave me excellent coverage for a flawless look that I love. I apply this foundation with the Real Techniques buffing brush. My shade is 103 Natural Buff. Mind you, this is not my perfect shade but it's pretty darn close. Why do I say this? Like the reviewer said below, although it's yellow based, there is still a hint of pink in it than I can really notice. My current high-end foundation is the Estee Lauder Double Wear in Rattan 2W2 which is a perfect yellow-toned and match for my skin and has no hints of pink whatsoever. Some of the reviewers also mentioned that this foundation tends to run dark and can oxidize throughout the day. But I can honestly say from 9am to 7pm, this foundation did not oxidize on me and lasted all day if not slightly better than the EL Double wear. And unlike the EL Double Wear, this gives a semi-matte finish as opposed to a full matte finish. I'll admit, the semi-matte look actually looked better on my skin and it lasts. This L'Oreal Pro Matte also feels very light on the skin unlike the EL Double Wear. So would I give up my EL Double Wear for this? As of right now, I will say yes. For the price of $14.99CAD (Walmart) compared to my $45CAD Estee Lauder Double Wear, this is a steal. But the Estee Lauder matches my skin so well that I can't give it up just yet. And although I have dry-combination skin, this does not accentuate my dry spots because I tend to really moisturize my skin prior to applying. And this foundation is also great on photos since it has no SPF.

More about my Skin Type and Other Concerns: Light-Medium, Neutral-Warm (yellow) undertone, tans easily (hardly burns), easily irritated, clear/no breakouts(only during menstrual cycle), dry-combination and very little to no wrinkles.

Other foundations tried or did not like either because it oxidized(orange), made my skin oily, or has a pink undertone regardless of how warm and yellow it claims to be: Urban Decay(worst high-end), Nars Sheer Matte, Kat Von D Lock It, Cover Girl, Revlon, Almay, Laura Mercier, L'Oreal, Prescriptives, Bourjois, Maybelline(Worst drugstore found), MAC, Chanel, Christian Dior, Cargo, Shiseido, IMAN, Make Up For Ever

MY Shades in other foundations:
Estee Lauder: Double Wear 2W2 Rattan
Kat Von D: Medium 52
MAC: NC-30/35
Christian Dior: Linen 021
Urban Decay: 2
Laura Mercier: 3(Powder Foundation), Sunny Beige(Liquid), Ochre Tinted Moisturizer
Nars: Ceylan
Chanel: 40 or 50
Shiseido: O20 or O40 (Ochre)
L'Oreal: Nude Beige, Infallible Pro-Matte (103 Natural Buff)
Bourjois: 52 Vanille
Revlon: Sand Beige
Covergirl: Nude Beige 832
Make Up For Ever: HD Invisible (120), Mat Velvet (No.40), Face&Body (Alabaster Beige 32)

It was a hot summer day in Edmonton (so..like 20 degrees Celsius) and H and I decided to go for a beautiful hike around the Jasper region. Unfortunately, I'm the type of girl who like a tiinnyy bit of makeup while exercising, even though it's probably horrible for my pores and terrible for the health of my skin. Knowing that, I applied a little bit of Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation, a light pink blush and a little bit of Carbon Black mascara. I looked fresh and healthy...for about the first hour or so. H and I decided to relax a little near a picnic area, and as we were laying down I decided to put my face on his shoulder for support. When I got up my face was on H's grey sweater and my foundation was no longer on my face.
Right there and then I decided I needed a more heavy-duty foundation..one that does not deposit my face on other people's clothing. As I perused the drugstore aisles the next day, the display for the new L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation (long enough name..?) was just being put out. I grabbed a shade that looked yellow enough for my jaundiced skin, and off I went. Here is my review on the foundation that I strongly believe most of us have tried before...:

Cons:

1)Ashy: In natural sunlight, like most foundations, this can look slightly ashy on the skin; almost like you have an extra layer of chalkiness on the face. To be honest, I have never NOT experienced that with a foundation that claims to be long-wearing and matte, and even-so with a foundation that claims to be dewy. If you want coverage and pigmentation in a foundation, you will have to settle for a more unnatural look in sunlight. Because of the ashy-ness pores can also look enlarged and more defined, but that can be combated with a primer.

2) Shade range: This foundation comes in 9 shades which ranges from an NC15-NC40 ish. While that's not too bad, I think L'oreal could improve upon this by adding shades that cater to both ends of the spectrum (really fair and really deep).

3) Price: In Canada, this normally retails for $14-$23. If you're really lucky, you can get it on sale at Superstore for $12.

Pros:

1)Undertone: When I initially saw this display I notice all the colours looked very yellow which practically made me breakout in dance at Pharma Plus. It is so incredibly difficult to find a yellow-based foundation at the drugstore; even the L'oreal true match 'warm-tone' isn't yellow enough. I'm glad that a brand is finally deciding to step away from the neutral/cool toned foundations (which is practically every foundation at the drugstore) and catering to the other third of the demographic. If you're a yellow-toned gal or guy, you'll know the pain of having to travel all the way to mid/high-end brands just to get a foundation that is yellow enough. I bought this in the shade 107 which is a great summer colour for me; it's yellow but olive at the same time.
***One important thing to note: Don't settle upon the colour in the tube for your colour match. I've noted that once this foundation dries, it becomes slightly more orange/darker. In this sense, it is very similar to the Covergirl 3-in-1 Stay Fabulous blah blah...you know what I mean***

2) Longevity: I actually did have this foundation on for 24 hours on a recent road trip, but the results were not good. After hour 18, it really started to break apart on my face and practically melt off. That being said, who wears foundation for that long..? On an average workday this foundation is an absolute stress-free must have. I apply the foundation at 6 am, blot and powder at noon, and by 5 pm it's still going strong.

3) Application: this applies beautifully with both a sponge and a brush, although I do find that a brush increases the longevity whereas the sponge gives a more natural finish. It glides evenly on the skin and dries very quickly, so work fast! The texture of the foundation is thick but manageable, and it is very heavily pigmented ....I would say this is a medium coverage, but can be built up to a full coverage. Unfortunately you have to work very quickly with this guy as it will dry very fast if not blended thoroughly.

4) Finish: I was astounded at the matte-satin finish of this foundation. It looked beautiful and matte. It's also one of the quickest drying foundations I've tried which is great when i'm in a rush in the morning. I'm sure we've all applied our foundations and then gone in immediately with bronzer and blush only to look like a blotchy, streaky mess after; this foundation will not do that to you. All that being said, it looks heavy. If you have dry skin DO NOT BUY. If you have larger pores DO NOT BUY. If you have deep lines DO NOT BUY. Practically, if your skin is not that of a baby's bottom, you need to approach with caution.

5) Transfer: there is none...nuff said...

6) Scent: None

Overall: I would avoid this foundation if you are dry and have flakey or patchy skin, if you are cool-toned, if you like very natural finishes. It's a heavy look and it doesn;t soften throughout the day.
Do buy if you like a matte, long wearing foundation, medium-full coverage, are warm toned, have redness on the face but neck and body are warm (it will cover up redness well) and are oily.
IMO, this is overhyped and not that great. It's also very similar, if not the same to Estee Lauder Double Wear. Which would make sense since L'Oreal owns Estee Lauder.

This costed me about $14 CAD at Pharma Plus. For reference, I am an NC37 in MAC Pro Longwear and I wear the shade 107 in this foundation. 107, is also the most yellow shade in the entire range.

Here's a little shade help in case you need it:

MAC Studio Fix/ L'oreal:

NC42- 108
NW40-109
NW33-110

on 8/18/2015 12:18:00 AM

Best foundation on the planet (for me). I can't believe I took so long to check this one out. I've been on a foundation buying spree: Kat Von D, Too Faced, Estee Lauder, Nars, but this one was the best. It covers very well and looks close to flawless without giving me that "made up" look that I hate. I mean, I spend time on Instagram looking at photos, and I am pretty sick of the kewpie doll heavy makeup look that seems to be in favor these days. If I wore that much paint, the geeks I work with would laugh me out of the room. What's wrong with the polished, professional look? Nothing at all, and you can get it with this magnificent foundation. I even find that my blush goes on better on top of this genius stuff.

on 7/8/2015 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

In my search for a liquid foundation to replace my powder mineral foundation I found this. Right now it's tie with Revlon Colorstay. For those needing info for color matching I am NC 30. The Pro-Matte in Golden Beige (104) is slightly yellower than Revlon Colorstay Golden Beige which is a perfect match for me but blends invisibly and the more yellow undertone seems to help cover my more red areas. Tried this for a couple of weeks. Applied it with my fingers and did a final buff with a blending brush. Looked great. Not too matte. Not too dewy. Felt light on my face. The package said "semi-matte" and it didn't lie. Didn't need powder to set it but I still dusted a small amount in my T-zone. Package said medium coverage and again it didn't lie. I had to build up some coverage on spots that are more red like my cheekbones and the corners of my nose but not much really. Still needed a concealer for dark acne spots and under eye circles but that is why concealers exist.

Did it stay matte all day? Heck no. I have oily skin. My forehead and nose get pretty slick especially in the summer. After two hours I had a bit of a shine but it wasn't bad. After four hours I needed to blot and powder and again after another four hours. I guess that isn't that bad considering with my old Everyday Minerals powder foundation it was every two hours. As for staying power it did fade a bit on my nose but not enough for me to touch up beyond a matching powder. As for the rest of my face, yes, it did stay on for at least the 8-12 hours I had it on. Again much better than my old Everyday Minerals as that barely lasted 8 hours in this summer heat. Didn't test the "24 hour" promise on the tube. Did it irritate or break out my acne prone skin? No, or at least not for the two weeks I used it.

Packaging is wonderful. I want to pound the door at Revlon's headquarters and shout, "Hey! Take a page from L'Oreal's book and put your liquid foundations in squeeze tubes!" So easy to squeeze the small amount needed which is good because the price is rather high for a drug store foundation.

Overall I will buy this again. I'll switch between this and Revlon Colorstay depending on what's on sale in the drugstore or Ulta. For those that have dry skin, need all over full coverage, or have pinkish undertones I wouldn't recommend it. From other reviews all the colors have strong yellow undertones and the formula can look cakey if applied too thickly and it can accentuate dry spots. If you have normal to oily skin and just need a medium coverage that lasts 12 hours I'd recommend it.

Update: This is my main DS foundation now. After seeing it in pictures I'm convinced it is my HG. Found that application is easier with a damp beauty blender and a good primer. Mac Prep+Prime makes the foundation blend easier. With Paula's Choice matte primer it makes blending harder but it keeps the oilies away all day without need for powdering. Here is a picture of me wearing the foundation. Note I have no foundation on my neck but there is no color difference:

Full Size Image

I just LOVE this product!

A little about my skin---- Very oily, large pores especially on cheeks and nose, acne, and prone to cyst acne.

This product is just amazing! Its true matte and stays on all day! It doesn't make my pores look bigger, actually it blurs it and makes them disappear.

I put the product on my face with Eco Tools Bamboo Bronzer Brush and it sets in really nice. Then I set it with Tarte's airbrush powder or with airspun loose face powder and it lasts the WHOLE DAY without having to blot not once.

I have used almost EVERY long lasting drugstore foundation including Revlon, Colorstay and Covergirls. They usually work for a while but within a few hours they will start running. But with those foundations, they were more full coverage and you can see the foundation on my face. With this product, its more like medium coverage but its like a primer and foundation in one. It blurs all your imperfections with very minimal makeup.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's been a while since I've tried a new foundation and this stuff - long story short - has restored my faith in spontaneous makeup purchasing. For a little skin background: I have combination skin, I tend to be dry in my t-zone and oily on my chin up to my nose. I only have hormonal breakouts and I have enlarged pores. Maybe I didn't "need" this particular long-wearing foundation, but it's definitely what I wanted!

First off, the packaging is neat-o. The entire new line of the Infallible items is pretty impressive looking. Very sleek. The squeeze tube is appreciated (reminds me of my Wet N' Wild Coverall that is close in personality to this particular foundation). Price point is more than I generally tend to spend at the drugstore. I purchased mine at Walmart for around $12. (Once these go on sale at Walgreens or Rite Aid, make no mistake, I'll buy them all.)

Application is touchy but not difficult. I found out that a brush does the foundation no justice. Any brush I tried would leave lines, buffing brushes would leave stipple marks, and my beauty blender wasn't quite fast enough and the product would dry before I had the chance to blend it. I would recommend clean hands and fingers being used to apply and blend out this foundation. It starts drying super fast. I would also apply concealer first and then apply foundation. This isn't normal for me. But apply your concealer, let it set, and then go for the foundation. Also, a thin layer is all that is needed here. I can see this getting caked up quickly.

Wear time is phenomenal. I love the idea that I can put this on before work and come home and there is minimal if any touching up that needs to be done. This stuff is almost bulletproof. I have issues with foundation moving around and wearing out underneath the nose piece of my glasses and this foundation is the only one that doesn't do a lot of moving there. It stays put. It stays on, looks fresh. It does go very matte and stays that way. For some dimension, don't skip the blush, bronzer, and highlight.

Overall; great drugstore foundation. Higher price point, but it's reasonable for its performance. It's tough to me to find foundations I like enough to review and this one is on point.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I really love this foundation so far! I've been waiting a while for this foundatio to come out and I was hoping for some shades on the fair end of the spectrum and L"oreal did not disappoint! I'm very fair (MAC NC5-10) and its hard for me to find foundations that are light enough for my skin tone.
I found this foundation in a new L'Oreal display at my local Target. It has this foundation, powder and setting spray all in one set up. I purchased the palest shade, 101 Classic Ivory and its a perfect match The squeeze tube is see through on the front so you can see the color - it does look at little darker than the actual product so keep an eye out for that. On the back of the squeeze (yay) tube there is a chart that tells you more info about the product. This foundation has a demi-matte finish, is supposed to last up to 24hrs, gives medium coverage and has an air light texture.
My take on the claims - this foundation does give a smooth demi matte finish that helps conceal my pores and even my skin tone/conceal redness, it lasts about 5 hours before I noticed a break though of oil around my nose, but there is no caking or cracking. When I squeezed the product out on the back of my hand it felt light - I don't detect any scent. The coverage is light to medium and covers any redness I have on my face.
It lasts about 8 hours on me - within about 4 hours I have some oiliness around the corners of my nose which is the 1st place the oil creeps through on my face. But the product doesn't break down or crack on my skin. This foundation, when used with a primer (Hourglass Veil Mineral) and setting powder (NARS LRP loose) looks smooth and airbrushed.
No break outs so far. It doesn't dry a shade or two darker (i see you Lancme TI Ultra!) or oxidize throughout the day (tsk tsk Cover Girl Outlast). I'm very happy and I want to try the powder and setting mist too.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

People either love or hate this foundation, but for the truly oily-skinned it's like a hug from your long-lost fairy drugstore godmother. Formula is a slightly stiff liquid in a slimline squeezy tube (the light traveler's best friend). Slightly pricey for a drugstore foundation, but it does go on sale. Application takes some practice. Plenty of sad outcomes result from applying this with fingers or a brush--it will just sit on the skin and look like chalk paint. Better to apply in sections using ye olde BB quickly, as this stuff dries down ferociously fast, as do many long-wear products. After one layer it's hard to get this to look natural or skinlike, and if that's your thing--full, invisible coverage--this probably won't work. Once set, this stuff is loyal. Maybe not for 24 hours, but certainly it will stay put for a long, unretouched day (and possibly even a workout) although coverage dwindles as the hours add up, especially if you are face-toucher. Medium coverage, demi-matte (but mostly matte) finish softens after an hour of melding with the skin's natural oils. Self-powdering. Quite impressive oil-control properties, although shine will be inevitable (but blottable) on the very oily. Doesn't oxidize. Colours are hard to gauge on the shelf due to lame frosted window on the tube, so it's worth tracking down testers and or Youtubing reviews in advance. NC40 = 106 Sun Beige or 107 Fresh Beige, which are very close. Shades trend yellow, so cools or neutrals may have a frustrating time of it. Definitely not for the dry skinned.