Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Filtered by hair type : Other
Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

4.6

I was looking for a matte palette better suited for me than the Viseart palette, which proved to be overall too warm for me. I prefer a soft, natural look. The Naked Basics 2 is more suited for my complexion, but the palette is limited in looks and I've used much better formulas, so I no longer enjoy using the palette. I considered the Kat von eye contour palette, and while the eyeshadows are beautifully pigmented, I thought the options were a bit limited. Enter the Tarte Tartelette. All matte, super pigmented, and easily bendable. This product does have major kick back, and I mean MAJOR. I always tap my brush before applying because if you don't, you have fall out everywhere.

The looks I achieve are soft and very complimentary to my mature eyes. The "warm" selection isn't too warm for me, which has been an issue for most of the palettes that hit the market. I've seen some YouTube videos where, if you wanted, you could build these up for a very dramatic look. Since that look isn't my cup of tea, I appreciate the subtle and pretty look this palette gives me.

For reference, I have NW20 complexion with green eyes and dark hair. The lightest shades really do not show up, but as my base layer it evens the lid out nicely without dumping pigment. Again, I prefer subtle, soft and pretty eye looks, and this is what this palette offers. Along with versatility in looks, this palette is a winner for me.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I am a lover of almost all things Tarte. I have the Tartelette in bloom and the Tarte Pro. I bought this to add more complimentary matte shades, but I did end up returning it.

It's not bad - value wise I would definitely get this over the Naked Basics. It has a much better range and much better value. I did like the shades in this palette. The reason for return - it wasn't as good in quality as the Tartelette in Bloom and Tarte pro. I felt like it was harder to blend out and the colors didn't remain true after being on the eye for a while. They kind of grayed out after a couple hours on me. Disclaimer: I have medium skin. I feel like these would work better on pale skin. I did not have these problems with my other Tarte palettes.

The Tarte Pro has a lot of similar colors to this (and then some!). Below are the Tartelette colors and the similar Pro colors:

Free Spirit = Classic
Bombshell = Vamp
Super Mom = Vintage
Wanderer = Bold
Fashionista = Punk

A lot of those aren't exact matches, but very very close. The Tarte Pro is a little more expensive at $75.71 per ounce of product to the Tartelette's $72.32 per ounce, but it is better quality in my opinion. The Tartelette in Bloom is also fantastic and is at the same price point, but it leans more burgundy.

Not a bad palette, but I feel there are better options in the same price point out there.

on 1/9/2016 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I kept putting off buying this palette because after switching it on my arm, I was convinced the colors were too cool toned. I ordered some warm Mac and MUG singles in some of the basic matte transition shades but felt like they pulled more orange on me than I wanted for every single look.

Enter this palette: I ordered this in November during the VIB sale and have not put it down since. This is a palette full of perfect neutral shades. It's what I wanted both Naked Basics palettes to be but i found them to be too ashy and cool toned for my tastes. They sort of blended into one muddy color no matter how I used them. I have all three Naked palettes as well and Tartelette works with them in perfect harmony. I think I'll get more use of my Naked palettes now that I have transition colors that work with all three. The shadows are pigmented and blend out smoothly. I wear this palette alone during the work week with winged liner most of the time.

This would be an ideal beginner palette for someone who didn't have any transition shades and wasn't sure where to start as well as an accompaniment for any palette with too much glitter and not enough mattes.

on 1/5/2016 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

THIS IS MY HOLY GRAIL EYE SHADOW PALETTE (and that's saying a lot b/c I'm an eye shadow palette junkie!!) If you're into neutral mattes you're gonna love this! A kind of similar palette to this would be the Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral #2 Palette, which I have and love, but I did get it on sale when target was going through it's liquidation for $15. It usually retails for $20USD which converts to about $28CAD and since Canada doesn't have Target any more, us Canadians would have to buy online. With shipping costs the price would be around $35CAD, which isn't too far off from the price of the Tartelette palette $54CAD. So if you're Canadian and thinking about getting this, definitely splurge and go for it! Even if you're able to get the Sonia Kashuk one for an ok price, I would still recommend the Tartelette over it anyday. The shadows are so much more buttery and smooth, while the Sonia Kashuk shadows can be a little powdery with some colours not being as pigmented as others. This palette is organized in rows from light to dark with one row being warm neutrals, the second being mauvey purples and the third being cooler neutrals. I love how it's organized and did I mention the packaging is absolutely gorgeous?? Overall, If you're into mattes and neutrals with hints of wearable purples, GO FOR IT!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This palette has become somewhat of a staple for me. The colors are a mix of warm, cool, and plummy, ranging from light to dark. Matte neutral palettes seem somewhat difficult to come by, so when this came out, I waffled for a bit, did some research, and bit the bullet. It really is quite versatile, in that you can create a myriad number of looks with just this palette, or use it in conjunction with some shimmer, metallic, or more colorful shades. I find the texture to be above average blendability and pigment, but I actually enjoy the fact that they don't pack an in your face punch. It's just a very wearable, versatile neutral palette with colors that flatter my skintone and can be used in a ton of instances.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wasn't sure why I bought this at first, until I got it home and found it had an uncanny resemblance to my own custom 12-pan M.A.C. palette (photos above). Even more remarkable is that other than a small travel palette (Naked2 Basics), it's the only palette I own. I don't have anything like the warmer brown shades in the Tarte palette, but have many other near-dupes that I thought would be helpful to show here (see the "Tarte/MAC" swatches above). For example: Super Mom / Blanc Type; Caregiver / Yogurt (Caregiver is a tad more pink); Force of Nature / Malt (FON is more orange-y); Natural Beauty / Haux (also surprisingly similar to "Quarry" when swatched); Best Friend / Blackberry; Power Player / Copperplate (Power Player is more of a taupe; Copperplate more of a slate); Multi-Tasker / Mystery (Mystery is cooler); Fashionista / Typographic (Fashionista is much darker, more like MAC "Carbon"). I don't have a dupe for "Bombshell," but it is a beautiful dark plum.

For those of you who already own some of these M.A.C. colors, or are wanting some of these colors, this might help you decide if you are on the fence. Although the Tarte palette looks cool at first glance, it has several warm colors and some warmer undertones, suitable for many skin colors.

PROS: Beautiful matte color selection; highly pigmented; smooth application; nice large mirror; adjustable mirror angle; compact size; reasonable price (considering my M.A.C. palette cost close to $150 to put together, the $44 Tarte price looks like a bargain).
CONS: Plastic case (I marked it down one lip because the tiny bits that hold the mirror upright broke off while gently adjusting the mirror to take the photo)
FAVORITE COLOR: "Power Player" - A gorgeous taupe
BOTTOM LINE: I still prefer the quality and colors of my cooler M.A.C. shades for everyday use, but may reach for this occasionally for a more dramatic evening look. Didn't really "need" this with so many dupes, and would not likely repurchase, though would love to get "Power Player" if they ever offer it as a single.

I have been looking for a good matte palette for a long time, so when I saw this, I knew I had to buy it. I really like it so far, and is has replaced my Naked2 as my everyday palette.

Price: $44 for 12 x 0.053 oz shadows, which is very reasonable in my opinion.

Packaging: The packaging is travel friendly, as it is slim, yet sturdy. It's pretty as well and the big mirror will stand up by itself, which is a big plus in my opinion. [5/5]

Colors: Neutral, perfect for everyday looks. I'm glad there is no random bright color in it, which is the case with a lot of other palettes. The plum shades are subtle and very wearable and the black shade is perfect to use as liner or to set liquid liner. I would have liked a pure white shade instead of the cream one, and the colors to be a little cooler overall, but that is just me. [4/5]

Quality: All of the shadows are very pigmented and smooth. They might look chalky on arm swatches, but they apply beautifully to the lids with a brush. The texture is not as buttery as Urban Decay and a little on the powdery side, but still very easy to blend. I have not noticed any fallout. [5/5]

Longevity: I always use Urban Decay Primer Potion, so I cannot comment on performance without a base. These shadows last around 10 hours without any creasing on my rather oily lids. [5/5]

Tl;dr: Great product, 5/5, would recommend