Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I brought this looking for more matte shades but the colour payoff isn't great, even on my very pale skin. I still use this palette for transition shades but overall wouldn't recommend, especially for the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

To begin, in an eyes shadow I look for buttery consistency with high pigmentation that lasts all day and blends easily. Now let's get into the product.

Pigmentation and Consistency -
These eye shadows are not very pigmented. Some of the shades can be built up fairly easily, but others will not build up at all. The lighter shades are fairly pigmented and have a good consistency, as well as the black and the midtone brown shades. My issue is mostly with the purple shades which make up about half of this palette. They are very chalky (as are most of the other shades), and end up looking very muddy. When you blend these shades together they all end up looking the same, a muddy grey brown shade. I'm able to create a nice look, but it's not easy.

Longevity & Blendability -
These shades last a decent amount of time, but eventually fade into nothingness within 8 hours of wear. Again, if you are able to build these shadows up to their true colors they all begin to fade into the same greyish brown shade. If you are looking for a grey/brown pallet this may be perfect for you. None of the shades blend particularly easily, and can look patchy and inconsistent depending on which color you are using. The transition shades do not blend well at all nor do the darker shades.

Price -
I got this palette as a gift so I can't comment too much about price. However after looking this up I found out this palette was $45. For the price I would not recommend this product at all. There are so many other brands out there that sell eye shadow palettes for similar prices that are much better quality. The Too Faced and Lorac palettes are similarly priced (if not cheaper) and will treat you much better. The naked palettes are $54 and give 10x the quality and pigmentation of this product. Invest your money elsewhere.

Final thoughts -
As I said previously, I have been able to create decent looks with this palette but it takes a lot of time and effort. I would not recommend this palette if you are looking to create a quick and easy look in the morning or on the go. The lighter shades are nice, they blend well and are fairly pigmented. The rest of the shades are chalky, patchy and muddy. The pigmentation is not there for the majority of these shades. If you are looking for a beautiful purple palette this is not it. If natural ingredients are important to you, I'm sure there are other brands who can provide that with a better result. Perhaps other Tarte shadows or palettes are better than this one. I love Tarte as a brand overall, but this was a miss for me.

on 11/12/2016 10:07:00 PM

Idk.. maybe since I usually only like matte in my crease, i'm not such a big fan of this. But I started to build my makeup collection about a year ago and quickly reached for this and the tartlette in bloom. The packaging is pretty and easy to open and close. Unfortunately it somehow dropped out of my stuff and one shadow shattered- the black. I have tons of black eyeshadows and never use black so I wasn't upset about it. The purples are pretty but I usually don't use a lot of color and I don;t know what id use the light pink for. I feel like the light shades are just TOO light, I wish one was more on the same page as wnw creme brulee. I want to love "force of nature" and "wanderer" so bad because I usually use soft browns in my crease but every time I dip my brush in them, they come off SO orangey and warm. They look cool in the pan so this disappoints me a lot. I don't hate warm tones by any means but I prefer cool, light matte browns on a daily basis and warm tones only sometimes when I want to switch it up. The dark browns also go unused because I don't usually need/want dark brown for my looks. Idk, it's not necessarily a bad palette, I just personally dont have a lot of use for it. Which sucks since it was $45. BUT maybe one day i'll have a look where i'll need a matte dark brown or maybe i'll want to try an all matte eye and i'll have this already in my stash to reach for and use!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is an excellent basics palette. Whenever I need a basic shade, it's there. My only black shadow I own is in this palette. I use the darkest brown and black to set liner. Supermom is my perfect highlight. It has two great blending shades, force of nature and wanderer. I love to use force of nature on the lid with black liner, such a great one shade look. And the purple row adds interest. The shade choice is great for a basics matte palette.
I do take off a point for the quality. These are ok shadows but not the best. They are dusty and can be patchy. The purples get a little muddy. The grey shadow is probably the worst shadow on the palette. But it's workable and a great workhorse palette. If you are looking for an interesting palette, this isn't it. Check out the in bloom version if you want interesting. If you want Naked basics but bigger and Kat Von D shade and light isn't your thing, this is a good choice.

on 4/13/2016 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this palette. The matte colours are beautiful, and I find myself reaching for it on a daily basis for my go-to makeup. I also have the Two-Face Chocolate Bar Palette and Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette, but this one is my favourite.

I like that Tarte included a guide to apply daytime and evening time looks. However, I do wish the guide included use of the other colours in the palette. I don't spend hours watching YouTube videos and find the guide guide handy as I keep it on my dresser. I think this palette is perfect for a beginner like myself who would like to experiment with a bit of eye contouring.

Beautiful shadows, easy to blend, pigmented and lasts all day. I absolutely love this pallette.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This palette is all of my dreams come true so please keep in mind that I can be a little bias.
The product quality is amazing. All the colors are highly pigmented, smooth and easy to apply; you don't need to pack much on. Some of the second column shades might apply a bit blotchy in the crease (that's where I use them), not sure if there's a flaw in the formula or my skills.
The colours, as I stated, are everything I've ever dreamed of. Taupes and dusty mauves/purples are what looks best with my eye colour (gray with a turquoise hue to them which really pops with the stated eyeshadow colours) and there aren't many shades from this family on the market at all: the taupes are either too beige or too gray, the dusty purples simply don't exist.I've had a cheap e/s palette from China (good quality, too, if you know how to work it) and it had those colours and that was when I realised they were my HG shades, but I ran out and thought it was over forever until the Tartelette palette came out.
The two bottom rows are exactly what I need and want and I couldn't be happier with it. The top row I don't use that often, I think it would be perfect to do neutral looks for those with deeper toned skin. I also almost never use the black shade.
I really, really love that it's matte, without even a hint of shimmer or sheen. I'm tired of every eyeshadow ever being shimmery. ALTHOUGH, the matte texture accentuates the loose skin on the eyelids. I'm very young but I already have saggier eyelids than normal and one of my eyes is hooded. It can be made less harsh by mixing your e/s primer with an eye cream before priming or using a really moisturising creamy primer (mine is quite dry/drying), but keep in mind that if you have mature or mature-looking eyelids, this might make it worse. The matte eyeshadows from the previously stated chinese palette I have didn't accentuate the saggy skin this much.
The packaging is fine. I'm always afraid to drop it bc it's not so small and not so big but that's an irrational fear. It opens a bit difficult, you might mess up your nail polish if you have any on.
Overall, I'm in love. This is pretty much my go-to palette every time I do makeup, as I don't use any other e/s shades except for maybe reddish ones when I feel like it and that's when I turn to my chinese one. Definitely would repurchase, although by the time I run out they'll have stopped making it.

I cashed in my Ulta points to get my hands on this girl. She is lovely and just what I have been looking for. Pros: all matte palette, different shade ranges of neutrals (warm, purpley/mauve, cool) organized from light to dark, all shades blend great, color payoff is wonderful, stays all day, not irritating, large mirror, very pigmented, pretty packaging Cons: I have a difficult time opening the palette, I wish it had an easy release button or something, the shadow names can be difficult to read due to being printed on the shiny gold packaging, packaging easily fingerprinted if that bothers you (it does me so I am constantly wiping it down after use) the price is a bit high, but less than an Urban Decay palette. Bottom Line: this is the second palette I've gotten from Tarte and I love them both. I wouldn't mind paying $44 for it had I not cashed in my points and I will repurchase again, but I can see how some would balk at the price. Love this palette!!