Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

on 9/9/2017 12:36:00 PM

I have used this palette in the past but not recently since I have acquired other ones I much prefer. Although the shadows are high quality and there is a good variety of looks (I particularly like how they are grouped in 3 rows by color family) I find on me they are not that flattering (I'm NW 20 with blue eyes for reference). The colors end up looking rather muddy and flat, especially by the end of the day. I find I much prefer the Too Faced Natural Matte palette for a variety of warm and cool neutral shades or the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette for warmer looks with the option of some shimmer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I brought this looking for more matte shades but the colour payoff isn't great, even on my very pale skin. I still use this palette for transition shades but overall wouldn't recommend, especially for the price.

I am so disapointed in this palette. What drew me in initially was the beautiful packaging and the colors looked gorgeous in the case. However when applied the colors have very little pigment (even on my fair skin) and kind of look the same when applied. And when blended they all kind of blend together. I much prefer Lorac Pro Matte Palette!

Since we can't buy Tarte in Europe I asked my friend to bring it for me. Disappointingly I really don't care for it much. The shadows aren't very pigmented, especially the lighter ones. I was hoping that I can use this palette as a good base for many different makeup looks, but I barely use it at all. I feel that you can do much more getting some good quality single neutral shadows in the colors that fit your skin tone than this palette. I would never repurchase it or recommend it to a friend.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I think this is a great palette, not a "omg you gotta go get this now" palette, but still worthy if you want to add something to your stash that you can rely on. All of the colors are workable, with a good range of neutral pink & brown based hues, and I have not skipped over any, something that is a rarity for me. I've used it quite a bit and feel at this point I can get a good eye look if I keep it simple and use eye primer, and have been getting 11+ hours of wear with no noticeable fading or creasing.
The palette is made of plastic and thin but generous in product quantity (.636 oz total, 1.5 g per pan). I wouldn't toss this loose into a bag as I fear it would easily crack - I have seen a few youtube reviews where the mirror is broken, so it's not going to withstand a lot of abuse. It smells strongly of vanilla, which I like. The shadows are firm but smooth, and go on with no patchiness and blend out with little effort. I'm not getting any fallout or excess mess in the palette with my brushes, even when digging in to pack some color.
I have the best luck and no muddiness if I work from a row from left to right, using the darkest as a liner. I've also tried to use this in combination with the tartelette in bloom palette, but the colors got muddy and I'm a one palette kind of gal anyways. I still need to give it more time to be 100% convinced I would buy this again, but with the color range I feel out of all of my matte palettes this gives the best selection of colors, and I'm happy I have it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

To begin, in an eyes shadow I look for buttery consistency with high pigmentation that lasts all day and blends easily. Now let's get into the product.

Pigmentation and Consistency -
These eye shadows are not very pigmented. Some of the shades can be built up fairly easily, but others will not build up at all. The lighter shades are fairly pigmented and have a good consistency, as well as the black and the midtone brown shades. My issue is mostly with the purple shades which make up about half of this palette. They are very chalky (as are most of the other shades), and end up looking very muddy. When you blend these shades together they all end up looking the same, a muddy grey brown shade. I'm able to create a nice look, but it's not easy.

Longevity & Blendability -
These shades last a decent amount of time, but eventually fade into nothingness within 8 hours of wear. Again, if you are able to build these shadows up to their true colors they all begin to fade into the same greyish brown shade. If you are looking for a grey/brown pallet this may be perfect for you. None of the shades blend particularly easily, and can look patchy and inconsistent depending on which color you are using. The transition shades do not blend well at all nor do the darker shades.

Price -
I got this palette as a gift so I can't comment too much about price. However after looking this up I found out this palette was $45. For the price I would not recommend this product at all. There are so many other brands out there that sell eye shadow palettes for similar prices that are much better quality. The Too Faced and Lorac palettes are similarly priced (if not cheaper) and will treat you much better. The naked palettes are $54 and give 10x the quality and pigmentation of this product. Invest your money elsewhere.

Final thoughts -
As I said previously, I have been able to create decent looks with this palette but it takes a lot of time and effort. I would not recommend this palette if you are looking to create a quick and easy look in the morning or on the go. The lighter shades are nice, they blend well and are fairly pigmented. The rest of the shades are chalky, patchy and muddy. The pigmentation is not there for the majority of these shades. If you are looking for a beautiful purple palette this is not it. If natural ingredients are important to you, I'm sure there are other brands who can provide that with a better result. Perhaps other Tarte shadows or palettes are better than this one. I love Tarte as a brand overall, but this was a miss for me.

My HG eyeshadow palette. All matte, all gorgeous colors, all great on my pale, cool-toned skin and deep-set, hooded eyes. Take note, those with hooded eyes - matte shadows like these will be great for you.

The formula is different from conventional shimmer/satin eyeshadows but I find these mattes to be easier to pick up and more pigmented than those in my UD Naked2 Basics palette (which is another good one if you like cool tones, just not nearly as comprehensive). This stuff also stays put on my lids throughout a 9-10+ hour day with little to no fading. Blendability is not quite as good as I've found with non-matte shadows, but I'll take good color payoff and staying power over better blendability. I don't have time to touch up my shadow during the day.

I don't encounter any muddiness between colors, but that may be because I am so pale. Highlight shades tend to disappear on me because again, I'm super pale. I especially love the pink/plum shades in the middle row. My sensitive skin doesn't react at all to these and even with shadow primer, they wash off just fine with a makeup remover. No raccoon eyes. This palette ticks all the boxes and gets nearly daily use.

on 9/18/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I do like this palette, though I agree that I can't do an eye look using it alone, given it has only mattes and I don't like matte-only looks. However, given my age, I have been collecting more mattes than before--especially darker/crease shades; mattes work better for that now that my eyes are beginning to "droop" a little :-( These are good quality workhorse mattes, and the shades are well-coordinated. I also like that they are more neutral/cool, as it seems many such matte/everyday palettes are warmer and don't work as well for me.

While they might not be as blendable as some, I've found them reasonably easy to work with and to create a flattering look--everything but a pop of shimmer or bright color, but I've got BUTTLOADS of that--good coordinating crease and transition shades, plus the lighter base shades. I also have sensitive eyes and these don't bother them.

I always use some sort of eye primer. The primer I use seems to have more to do with how long they last. (I have different primers; if I want shadows to last 12+ hours, I use Wnw; but it's drying and I can't use it all the time. So some of the other primers I have don't last as long, but don't dry out my eye area.)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is an excellent basics palette. Whenever I need a basic shade, it's there. My only black shadow I own is in this palette. I use the darkest brown and black to set liner. Supermom is my perfect highlight. It has two great blending shades, force of nature and wanderer. I love to use force of nature on the lid with black liner, such a great one shade look. And the purple row adds interest. The shade choice is great for a basics matte palette.
I do take off a point for the quality. These are ok shadows but not the best. They are dusty and can be patchy. The purples get a little muddy. The grey shadow is probably the worst shadow on the palette. But it's workable and a great workhorse palette. If you are looking for an interesting palette, this isn't it. Check out the in bloom version if you want interesting. If you want Naked basics but bigger and Kat Von D shade and light isn't your thing, this is a good choice.

I just purchased this palette the other day and do not regret it one bit! The colours look amazing on my super pale skin and they are all matte, which is what I prefer. They are so pretty and natural-looking. I am not an eye shadow expert, but the quality seems good to me. The palette itself is quite nice, is nice and sturdy and it contains a pretty huge mirror which is helpful during application.